GINGE

emjay said:
sbock said:
You forget Puck's Wonderswan emu WS4ALL.

Haven't heard anything about that one. Is that the Japanese only handheld that has Japanese/Asian only games that you won't be able to understand unless you can speak an Asian language ? Doesnt interest me anyway, I'll be amazed if it gets in the top 3 unless there are Asian people judging the competition.
:lol: wow.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow! This looks awesome!! I've waited ages to be able to play Payback on my Wiz and hopefully Pandora when it arrives.. Playing it on the Amiga was great with PPC and 3D

Wow indeed! I am so thankful for notaz's work on this. Now I actually might be able to get the pc98 emu to finally run on the Wiz. Not to mention a hell of a lot of nice homebrew stuff that never made it over. Great work notaz! This better win for being the most original entry. I love the work of all the other projects as well, but for the emulator entry (even though notaz says it's not an emulator) this should win. I do have much respect for all the other entries though. Very nice stuff in this contest!

I do have a question about changing the clock speed. When using Ginge can you change the clock speed in the gp2x application itself and it will work, or do you have to just run Ginge at a higher clock speed?

craigix said:
Exophase said:
craigix said:
Well thanks to Notaz that might not be necessary.

Except for all those platforms that aren't ARM Linux with OABI enabled :/

The problem is the game hits the hardware pretty close, it would be a big job to port it. Ginge looks like the right answer for us and our niche product interests.

Ive offered to do the port, ive been waiting to do the port, :-(

We should start making a list of non-working games...

Does Egoboo work?
Does Beat2x work like it has worked on GP2X(is it playable(with wiz version, everything is wierd))?
Is Fenix library/bennu runtime working?
Is there tearing in games?

forces/before said:
We should start making a list of non-working games...

Does Egoboo work?
Does Beat2x work like it has worked on GP2X(is it playable(with wiz version, everything is wierd))?

Egoboo wont cause it uses the second core for opengl emulation.

forces/before said:
Fenix library & BennuGD runtime were ported to the Wiz :)
Instead, I'm wondering about tearing too.

BTW we'll can do all these tests after the release B)

So, you'll be able to play Cave Story on the Wiz? That's just awesome.
My bro will be very happy to hear that, he considers Cave Story to be one of the greatest games ever.
I'll be even happier if GINGE becomes available for the Caanoo too.

RupeeClock said:

That was the game that got notaz started to work on this thing :)
It IS an awesome game :)

Last edited:
EvilDragon said:
RupeeClock said:

I have to wonder if Pixel would be okay with that? You know, considering it went commercial on the Wii.
Still, it's technically not a re-release of any kind.

Man I've only played Cave Story just once, I've got to play it again, on a Caanoo.

RupeeClock said:
EvilDragon said:
RupeeClock said:

I have to wonder if Pixel would be okay with that? You know, considering it went commercial on the Wii.
Still, it's technically not a re-release of any kind.

Man I've only played Cave Story just once, I've got to play it again, on a Caanoo.

I tried to contact Nicalis a few times. They only answer me randomly.
I even offered them my German translation for Cave Story for free...

Well, it definately is no re-release.
When you buy a new PC, you can still play the same old PC version. It's basically the same here.

Last edited:
I've never played Cave Story but since it was mentioned (well mentioned, and subsequently noticed by me) on this board it's certainly piqued my interest. This "not an emulator" looks to already have a multitude of uses which is great news for everyone. Thanks Notaz, once again.

It's funny. I remember how ages ago in the 'Our New Machine' thread people got annoyed that the new console would not be able to run GP2X software. Well, now it can :). This is good news for Pandora people and Wiz/Caanoo people alike.

Pickle said:
craigix said:
Exophase said:
craigix said:
Well thanks to Notaz that might not be necessary.

Except for all those platforms that aren't ARM Linux with OABI enabled :/

The problem is the game hits the hardware pretty close, it would be a big job to port it. Ginge looks like the right answer for us and our niche product interests.

Ive offered to do the port, ive been waiting to do the port, :-(

I just get the feeling Craig would rather the game weren't on the Caanoo / (to a lesser extent) Wiz.

Please let me be wrong, but since you're interested in porting it, I can't see why he wouldn't let you.

Nova said:
I just get the feeling Craig would rather the game weren't on the Caanoo / (to a lesser extent) Wiz.

Please let me be wrong, but since you're interested in porting it, I can't see why he wouldn't let you.

well i would do the port right and it would work anywhere.

Nova said:

Then why would he offer to recompile it to be single core so it'll work on Ginge? Your post makes no sense >_>

Exophase said:
Nova said:

Then why would he offer to recompile it to be single core so it'll work on Ginge? Your post makes no sense >_>

Ginge wouldn't work on Caanoo, right? Not without being ported.

And Vektar wouldn't work as well on the Wiz if it was recompiled on a single core for Ginge (Craig said earlier), as if it were ported over properly by Pickle.

I know, it sounds stupid. But why wouldn't he let Pickle do the port?

Nova said:
Exophase said:
Nova said:

Ginge wouldn't work on Caanoo, right? Not without being ported.

Ginge should work as long as the Caanoo has OABI_Compat set (which it should have).

Last edited:
This may have already been answered/be a stupid question but...
Is this going to be freeware or Free Software or paid?

Also: Notaz, you are AWESOME!

Back