GINGE

fearofshorts said:
This may have already been answered/be a stupid question but...
Is this going to be freeware or Free Software or paid?

Also: Notaz, you are AWESOME!

Its free, just not released until the end of the month.

Last edited by a moderator:
So, this is sort of like wine in that it can run the GP2X programs since they've got compatible processors, meaning the code is more or less running on the wiz processor natively, right? So then that would explain why things that use the second core wouldn't work, since the second core doesn't exist, correct? Or am I completely wrong? ;P

b1ueskycomp1ex said:
So, this is sort of like wine in that it can run the GP2X programs since they've got compatible processors, meaning the code is more or less running on the wiz processor natively, right? So then that would explain why things that use the second core wouldn't work, since the second core doesn't exist, correct? Or am I completely wrong? ;P

Yeah, that's right.

Exophase said:
b1ueskycomp1ex said:

Yeah, that's right.

Thanks for clearing that up. So then, overclocking the wiz processor should yield better performance and framerates from games or emulators designed for the GP2X, right?

Yes, it's very exciting news.
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/55675-ginge/

If noone minds, I'll merge this topic with the other GINGE one?

EDIT: Done.

Looks great, you say it's not an emulator so it's more of a virtual machine. Just a few questions.

1) Will emulators/games run at the native GP2x speed or has it been patched to run at Wiz speed ?

2) Will the VICE C64 emulator run faster ?, the Wiz version has to be overclocked to at least 650Mhz !

3) Will the Handy Lynx emulator work ? The GP2x version runs full speed, the Wiz version is a complete mess.

4) Will the latest version of SCUMM work ? They didn't bother porting it to the Wiz.

5) Does the Full version of Payback work (even though it's a bit poo) ?

I imagine most of these have been tested and wondered what sort of results they bring.

Cave Story and Exult... how can we ask for more!

If this does end up meaning cross-compatibility for gp2x & Wiz on the Caanoo, I will be unable not to purchase one :)

Nova said:
Exophase said:
Nova said:
I just get the feeling Craig would rather the game weren't on the Caanoo / (to a lesser extent) Wiz.

Please let me be wrong, but since you're interested in porting it, I can't see why he wouldn't let you.

Then why would he offer to recompile it to be single core so it'll work on Ginge? Your post makes no sense >_>

Ginge wouldn't work on Caanoo, right? Not without being ported.

And Vektar wouldn't work as well on the Wiz if it was recompiled on a single core for Ginge (Craig said earlier), as if it were ported over properly by Pickle.

I know, it sounds stupid. But why wouldn't he let Pickle do the port?

Gads, the evolution from rumour to fact on here is scary.

The reason Pickle has not yet done anything with it is because I've not yet found the source code.

Craig's kidnapped Pickle! It's a conspiracy, I tells you!

emjay said:
1) Will emulators/games run at the native GP2x speed or has it been patched to run at Wiz speed ?
They will run as fast as Wiz CPU allows.

emjay said:
2) Will the VICE C64 emulator run faster ?, the Wiz version has to be overclocked to at least 650Mhz !
I guess not, this method is slower than proper native port, so it all depends on quality of Wiz native port.

emjay said:
3) Will the Handy Lynx emulator work ? The GP2x version runs full speed, the Wiz version is a complete mess.

4) Will the latest version of SCUMM work ? They didn't bother porting it to the Wiz.

5) Does the Full version of Payback work (even though it's a bit poo) ?

I imagine most of these have been tested and wondered what sort of results they bring.
No this was not tested because it would take ages to test all GP2X software library, not to mention obtaining various BIOS/ROMs and setting up every emu. There is no reason they can not be made to run, I will fix compatibility issues after release and reports start flowing in.

Since I prefer the original frontend for the Wiz, would GINGE be able to use CPU_SPEED to overclock the Wiz to speed up programs that don't have the option to overclock, or does CPU_SPEED cater to both cores and therefore render the program useless on the Wiz?

This looks amazing, hope it works well I've seen some games on the older GP2X's i've been wanting to try :D

craigix said:
Nova said:
Exophase said:
Nova said:
I just get the feeling Craig would rather the game weren't on the Caanoo / (to a lesser extent) Wiz.

Please let me be wrong, but since you're interested in porting it, I can't see why he wouldn't let you.

Then why would he offer to recompile it to be single core so it'll work on Ginge? Your post makes no sense >_>

Ginge wouldn't work on Caanoo, right? Not without being ported.

And Vektar wouldn't work as well on the Wiz if it was recompiled on a single core for Ginge (Craig said earlier), as if it were ported over properly by Pickle.

I know, it sounds stupid. But why wouldn't he let Pickle do the port?

Gads, the evolution from rumour to fact on here is scary.

The reason Pickle has not yet done anything with it is because I've not yet found the source code.

well i hope you can still find it.

Back