Gngeo2x 0.6.9 *update*

Was starting to think you were right about the romrc file, but i checked kof97 and its the same filenames as in the kof97 zip file. Yes I did type the .zip part ;).

Tried mslug3.zip garou.zip and kof97.zip

Edit: Just tried aof3.zip and it worked! garou dosent work because the file names in the zip are different from the romrc. So far looks like it was me being silly.

I forgot to say rename the mslug3.zip you create mslug3n.zip to match the mslug3n.gfx that the dumpgfx utility will output.

Last edited by a moderator:
got a question when do you think this emu will be as simple to operate as drmd so someone like me can play metal slug and windjammers on their 2x ^_^

got a question when do you think this emu will be as simple to operate as drmd so someone like me can play metal slug and windjammers on their 2x ^_^

You can now..I used GNGNeo2x v0.6.7b threw an unzipped neoeo bios in the roms folder with a zipped copy of metal slug, ran the emulator and it appears on the selection screen and it plays great, no sound (is sound in this emu yet?) no messing about with graphics dumps...nice and simple

Willy

You can now..I used GNGNeo2x v0.6.7b threw an unzipped neoeo bios in the roms folder with a zipped copy of metal slug, ran the emulator and it appears on the selection screen and it plays great, no sound (is sound in this emu yet?) no messing about with graphics dumps...nice and simple

Willy
For sound, in the selector, press Y and you will see on the bottom line that "gngeo" become "gngeo --sound". Now you can launch a game with sound.
Sound volume is fixed for now.

yes! it has a selector now! and a config editor for each rom..

what about a cpu speed setter in the next build?..

are there any other changes/features in this release?

yes! it has a selector now! and a config editor for each rom..

what about a cpu speed setter in the next build?..

are there any other changes/features in this release?
No, there is no change (beside selector) between 0.6.7a and 0.6.7b

I don't understand what you mean by "config editor for each rom"?

i have a bios (i think) and all of the neccasary other files but i get this message when i try to play metal slug 3 "error no valid romset found for metal slug3" what am i doing wrong

and when trying to start sam showdown 4 it will say out of memory cant load graphics? what should i do or what am i doing wrong or is there a certain bios i should look for?

i have a bios (i think) and all of the neccasary other files but i get this message when i try to play metal slug 3 "error no valid romset found for metal slug3" what am i doing wrong

make sure your rom matches the naming convention in the romrc file, also that rom will require you make a .gfx dump before it will run or you will get an out of memory error like the one you got below.

and when trying to start sam showdown 4 it will say out of memory cant load graphics? what should i do or what am i doing wrong or is there a certain bios i should look for?

You need to make a dump of the graphics roms contain in the .zip. Can you tell me what operating system you are running on?

my comp is running on Windows xp

To make a .gfx dump first of all download this tool.

http://m.peponas.free.fr/gngeo/download/dumpgfx_win.zip

Put the roms you want to convert in your dumpgfx_win folder.

Windows start button click on run.

Type "cmd" minus the " ".

Command prompt will open.

Now you need to change directory to where you have the dumpgfx_win folder.

Type "cd path to your dumpgfx_win folder"

i.e. cd C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Desktop\dumpgfx_win

Type "dumpgfx nameofrom.zip" i.e. dumpgfx aof3.zip

All being well after a short pause a .gfx dump will appear. You can then copy the .zip and .gfx to your rom directory.

One point of note.

If the .zip fails to open with a couldn't load message, you will need to check .zip contents to see if the files inside match the names of the files used by romrc. To view the romrc just use wordpad and search for the filename, there is usually more than one listing for each title. You can try renaming the files and making a new.zip archive.

The other scenario is that you are trying to dump an encrypted rom and you will need to go looking for decrypted files in order to make a new .zip archive.

Finally, I did a post earlier in this topic in reply to antidark, who came up with a great idea for reducing the space taken by games with a .gfx dump file.

To read that click here.

It's worth it. ;)

Also you might want to read through the whole of this topic as there is plenty of information to be picked up.

Also visit the wiki page to see what you need and more importantly what titles work and which ones need a .gfx dump file. :D

GnGeo2x wiki page

i have something to add:

You don't have to look for decrypted roms, if you only have encrypted ones ... just download WinKawaks and activate the option "save decrypted files" and you get those for free :D.

When you use encrypted roms the grafic in the game will be corrupted ... that's what i got when i run metalslug3

hey neo could you pm me some more detailed instruyctions i am really not to great and i have tried a couple different things but cant seem to get it right after i get into the cmd thing :(

i have something to add:

You don't have to look for decrypted roms, if you only have encrypted ones ... just download WinKawaks and activate the option "save decrypted files" and you get those for free :D.

I've never used a NeoGeo emulator before the NeoCD emulator came out for the GP2X as I never had the need for one. :) So my knowledge of the PC ones is nil

I'm learning as I go along and sharing my experiences, and I appreciate good advice.

Thanks god_at_hell :)

In the roms are music and sound effects located in different file? Because I for I cant play games without sound effects, not having music on the other hand I do not care. If so has anyone tried replacing the music file with a dummy file, so even with the big games theres a good chance of maybe having all sound effects.

Can someone with the bigger games try it.

real great emu pepone i love playing these games and i really like some of the games i have never tried before like windjammers :D thank you for uniting me with some of the greatest games ever made

Sound volume is fixed for now.
You can adjust the volume!

Before launching the emu, start the music player, play a .mp3 (or whatever) and adjust the volume. Now exit the player, launch Gngeo2x and it will have the volume you selected inside the player.

No ingame adjustment possible, though ;)

And pepone, please add a pause button in the next release.

Arcade games don't have pause buttons. If you want pause you could try editing the gngeorc file to run games as AES instead of MVS. The roms are the same, if they worked under MVS mode they'll work under AES.

Back