Gngeo2x 0.6.9 *update*

reallynotnick posted on Feb 11 2006 at 09:55 PM said:
LOL, I am still stuck on this script thing. I don't get the last part the PathToYouRomHere.zip, is that supposed to be on a different line? I have no clue.

Could someone please just post an example, like say the file "metalslug.zip" in the roms folder in the gnneo2x file in the root of the SD card.

I hope that is not to much to ask, its just the Readme does not describe it well enough and I don't want to search through 34 pages.

wait, are you using the latest version (which has a rom selector)?
cause if so then you only have to edit the startup script if you want to map more command line uptions to the Y button.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is a little tutorial to enable big rom support (garou, fatal fury realbout, etc.)
- The first things to do is to compile the dumpgfx utilitie for your platform. A version is available for linux. Help is wanted to port it on other platform (especialy MacOS & Windows)
. Untar the dumpgfx.tgz available in the source package of gngeo,
or here http://m.peponas.free.fr/gngeo/download/dumpgfx.tgz
. go to the dumpgfx dir
. Compilation is a simple "gcc *.c -o dumpgfx -lz"
- Now, Create a dump with "./dumpgfx games.zip" where games.zip is the game you want to dump.
- A .gfx should have been created
- Copy this gfx file in the gngeo's roms dir on your sdcard
- Don't forget to copy the rom too ;)
- Now you can launch the rom as usually, and enjoy.

Here, I compiled a windows version for you.
http://s28.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=03O7KRM...VZ0GSA0G2W7NYG7

This emu rocks!!!!

It just made my GP2X better than my DS overnight!

Thanks!!!

I am gonna donate soon :)

hmmm... how do i get the uni bios functioning in-game?

i changed my uni-bios.rom to aes-bios.bin....

what now? :blink:

plus, can someone give me a tutorial on how to use "dumpgfx.exe" ?

and... i tried to play kof96 and metal slug x.... it loads up until i get an "out of memory" error?

TIA!!!

Assumption that you are on Windows.
The way I do it is to put dumpgfx.exe and the rom in the same folder, create a batch file with the following:
Code:
dumpgfx.exe romname.zip
pause
Then run the batch file.

heisty posted on Feb 12 2006 at 11:42 AM said:
hmmm... how do i get the uni bios functioning in-game?

i changed my uni-bios.rom to aes-bios.bin....

what now? :blink:

Change system to home in the gngeorc file in the conf folder

heisty posted on Feb 12 2006 at 11:42 AM said:
how to use "dumpgfx.exe" ?

From earlier in this thread.

To make a .gfx dump first of all download this tool.

http://m.peponas.free.fr/gngeo/download/dumpgfx_win.zip

Put the roms you want to convert in your dumpgfx_win folder.

Windows start button click on run.

Type "cmd" minus the " ".

Command prompt will open.

Now you need to change directory to where you have the dumpgfx_win folder.

Type "cd path to your dumpgfx_win folder"

i.e. cd C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Desktop\dumpgfx_win

Type "dumpgfx nameofrom.zip" i.e. dumpgfx aof3.zip

All being well after a short pause a .gfx dump will appear. You can then copy the .zip and .gfx to your rom directory.

One point of note.

If the .zip fails to open with a couldn't load message, you will need to check .zip contents to see if the files inside match the names of the files used by romrc. To view the romrc just use wordpad and search for the filename, there is usually more than one listing for each title. You can try renaming the files and making a new.zip archive.

The other scenario is that you are trying to dump an encrypted rom and you will need to go looking for decrypted files in order to make a new .zip archive.

Finally, I did a post earlier in this topic in reply to antidark, who came up with a great idea for reducing the space taken by games with a .gfx dump file.

To read that click here.

It's worth it. ;)

Also you might want to read through the whole of this topic as there is plenty of information to be picked up.

Also visit the wiki page to see what you need and more importantly what titles work and which ones need a .gfx dump file. :D

GnGeo2x wiki page

wow! Thanks for quick response :)

now this...

i tried to play kof96 and metal slug x.... it loads up until i get an "out of memory" error?

do these games need to be dumped as well?

DaveC posted on Feb 12 2006 at 08:45 AM said:
Where is this dumpgfx program. I looked on the official website of this emu and on the wiki but couldn't see it.

Earlier in this thread. :D

New version: 0.6.7
http://m.peponas.free.fr/gngeo/download/gngeo2x.0.6.7.zip
source:
http://m.peponas.free.fr/gngeo/download/gngeo-0.6.7.tar.gz

Large rom support is here, still beta, but here.
Having a fast SD card will be helpfull.

For now, it's only accessible to unix user, since you need an utility to dump gfx to a files and I can't compile under windows. Help is wanted to have Win and MacOs version.

Get the utility here: http://m.peponas.free.fr/gngeo/download/dumpgfx.tgz
Compile it with "gcc *.c -o dumpgfx -lz"
use it like that "./dumpgfx games.zip" where games.zip is your rom.
Put the generated .gfx file in the roms directory of gngeo on your SD.
Don't forget the rom too.

Now you can launch gngeo as usual.

Ok, I finaly got it to compile under windows. get it here
http://m.peponas.free.fr/gngeo/download/dumpgfx_win.zip

It's a comand line utility. Use it with
dumpgfx.exe game.zip

Sandman, thanks for compiling it for windows but Pepone managed to get a version compiled on the same day. Lucky for me that he did. :)

heisty posted on Feb 12 2006 at 12:22 PM said:
wow! Thanks for quick response :)

now this...

i tried to play kof96 and metal slug x.... it loads up until i get an "out of memory" error?

do these games need to be dumped as well?

Any rom that you try to start which displays the "out of memory" error message will need to be dumped using the dumpgfx tool.

pepone, maybe you should upload a version of gngeo with the dumpgfx program included in a zip file or something?

and reallynotnick, i'm not sure if someone answered your question, but you don't need to make a script anymore. just select "gngeo2x", the game file, in your file browser. you can also press "y" to toggle sound.

Someone else discovered this earlier in the thread but in WindowsXP at least, you can right-click on the zipped rom set and choose 'open with', 'choose program from a list' then browse to the dumpgfx.exe program on your computer.

After that, dumpgfx.exe appears in the 'open with' list for zip files. At least it does on my PC.

halo9 posted on Feb 12 2006 at 01:14 PM said:
Someone else discovered this earlier in the thread but in WindowsXP at least, you can right-click on the zipped rom set and choose 'open with', 'choose program from a list' then browse to the dumpgfx.exe program on your computer.

After that, dumpgfx.exe appears in the 'open with' list for zip files. At least it does on my PC.

I was going to mention that you can do it that way, but there is one issue doing it like that is that you don't seee any error messages.

If the you don't see the error message you may not know there's a problem. I can see some users posting "I've been waiting 5 minutes for the dump to complete and nothing has appeared in the folder yet". ;)

subin posted on Feb 12 2006 at 12:58 PM said:
pepone, maybe you should upload a version of gngeo with the dumpgfx program included in a zip file or something?

and reallynotnick, i'm not sure if someone answered your question, but you don't need to make a script anymore. just select "gngeo2x", the game file, in your file browser. you can also press "y" to toggle sound.

I've put links to the dumpgfx utility on the wiki so that people can find it. :)

I've alo updated the control section and added the following lines:

Added in versions 0.6.7b onwards.
While in the file selector.

Y
cycles forwards, from sound off, sound on, sound off with log.tx, sound on with log.txt
A
cycles the options above backwards.

:)

but neostuey, a lot of people really don't like command lines. i ran "cmd" for some reason once, and my sister started gasping and saying that i knew how the computer worked, or i was one with the computer, or something. XD

i think we should probably tell people that the right click "open with" method is the one they should use, if they are obviously having trouble and want to do a graphics dump. :)

NeoStuey posted on Feb 12 2006 at 03:03 PM said:
subin posted on Feb 12 2006 at 12:58 PM said:

I've put links to the dumpgfx utility on the wiki so that people can find it. :)

I've alo updated the control section and added the following lines:

Added in versions 0.6.7b onwards.
While in the file selector.

Y
cycles forwards, from sound off, sound on, sound off with log.tx, sound on with log.txt
A
cycles the options above backwards.

:)
I'll remove the log.txt option from the next version since it just don't work.

subin posted on Feb 12 2006 at 02:04 PM said:
but neostuey, a lot of people really don't like command lines. i ran "cmd" for some reason once, and my sister started gasping and saying that i knew how the computer worked, or i was one with the computer, or something. XD

i think we should probably tell people that the right click "open with" method is the one they should use, if they are obviously having trouble and want to do a graphics dump. :)

It's just getting the balance right I suppose. What we really need is a gui to go with the utility, making it more user friendly. :)

I can't write one, so if anyone else can? I'm sure it will be appreciated. :D

subin posted on Feb 12 2006 at 08:58 AM said:

actually i think older versions of gngeo did include dumpgfx, with source & binaries.

pepone posted on Feb 12 2006 at 02:06 PM said:
I'll remove the log.txt option from the next version since it just don't work.

:D :lol: :lol:

You're right I just tried it with log.txt and got the message no valid romset could be foung log.txt.

I've just amended my gngeo2x_config file.

I now cycle sound on, sound off and sound on with samplerate 11025.

If anybody wants it, you can get it here. :D

Ha didn't know there was a rom selector added. This thing rocks. Too bad sound seems to slow things down alot. Can't wait for future releases!

Back