Gngeo2x 0.6.9 *update*

NeoStuey posted on Feb 16 2006 at 02:05 AM said:
hercule18 posted on Feb 15 2006 at 04:23 PM said:

Vey nice work :D

Thanks
NeoStuey posted on Feb 16 2006 at 02:16 AM said:
O.T.

I won't be so active for a while as due to my own stupidity I've managed to brick my GP2X. :wacko: I was playing around with different firmwares and tried to downgrade but I must have done something fundementaly wrong. :(  Doesn't boot past the UBoot screen. I am aware of the unbricking guide and am contemplating my next decision with a little more care than the last. ;)

Back on topic.

If you are testing games that need their results updating on the wiki please remember to do so. I still see some blanks.

Thanks. :D

http://wiki.gp2x.org/wiki/GnGeo2x

Hi,
very sorry for you! :(
i had exactly the same problem, i bricked my GP2x just two days after recieved my gp2x with thisAlternative Firmware wich should be safer than the GPH one.
Like you the only screen that i had then was the first black GP2x screen.

it seems you have a lot of chance to make it work back if it's not the GP2xboot.img which has crashed you GP2x.

So i reflashed with the GP2xkernel.img and it worked for me.
Read well the unbricking guide and i really hope you will be able to unbrick your gp2x

bye

Herc. :ph34r:

Last edited by a moderator:
@ NeoStuey If it's any help, I have a serial cable... PM me if you want to borrow it 'cause they are expensive to buy ;)

Also, I just knocked out a skin for my copy of gngeo and thought it would be nice to share, get it in the file archive:

fondo4wk.png

Somethings out of proportion in that picture heh! Is that a snk character or something?

Mr_Munk posted on Feb 16 2006 at 09:13 AM said:
@ NeoStuey If it's any help, I have a serial cable... PM me if you want to borrow it 'cause they are expensive to buy ;)

Also, I just knocked out a skin for my copy of gngeo and thought it would be nice to share, get it in the file archive:

fondo4wk.png

Has she had a dodgy hip replacement operation?

well, after putting a LOT more roms on my SD card i'm appreciating the gngeo2x much more. It's such a great system, and some amazing games were made for it (like magical drop 3) and also is good because it suits the gp2x's "short burst" playing mentality. it's good to pick up, play for a few minutes and then put down. :D

a couple of bugs to report - in neo cup 98, there is no pitch. the crowd image is repeated over where the pitch is, and the players sit on top of this. also, i get an error in "viewpoint" when you get the "continue" screen and then press start. i don't know whether you can think of an explanation for these things pepone..

subin posted on Feb 16 2006 at 04:22 PM said:
a couple of bugs to report - in neo cup 98, there is no pitch. the crowd image is repeated over where the pitch is, and the players sit on top of this.

Raster effects. This isn't just limited to GnGeo2X, all the main emulators have had raster effects optimised for certain games to display properly.

You could try setting "Enable the raster interrupt? raster true" in gngeorc and see if it displays correctly.

As you are trying games with no test results under 0.6.9 on the wiki how about posting the results?

Thanks.

Mr_Munk posted on Feb 16 2006 at 09:13 AM said:

fondo4wk.png

Thanks for the offer Mr Munk, I've sent you a PM.

Nice idea with skin, was that a resin model in the image?

NeoStuey posted on Feb 16 2006 at 04:54 PM said:
As you are trying games with no test results under 0.6.9 on the wiki how about posting the results?

Thanks.

will do, i was going to but was too lazy. ^_^

subin posted on Feb 16 2006 at 05:17 PM said:
NeoStuey posted on Feb 16 2006 at 04:54 PM said:

Thanks.

will do, i was going to but was too lazy. ^_^

And I was going to until I bircked my unit. :ph34r:

Alright, I did a pretty big change to the wiki. I removed NeoStuey's section about samplerates (sorry :p) and added a section about selector switches. I hope this should be more helpful all round. :D

IMHO I think that you could have added the section about selector switches without removing the section about samplerates. The information is now tucked away and some users may miss it altogether. Especially as I did some direct links to it on other forum posts. :rolleyes:

Oh and I see that my suggestion to try swicthing on the raster interrupt has sorted out your problems with NeoGeo Cup 98.

Just in case you wanted to say thanks. You're welcome.

NeoStuey posted on Feb 16 2006 at 08:40 PM said:
IMHO I think that you could have added the section about selector switches without removing the section about samplerates. The information is now tucked away and some users may miss it altogether. Especially as I did some direct links to it on other forum posts. :rolleyes:

Oh and I see that my suggestion to try swicthing on the raster interrupt has sorted out your problems with NeoGeo Cup 98.

Just in case you wanted to say thanks. You're welcome.

XD sorry neostuey, looks like i did pretty bad on all fronts :(

feel free to change it how you wish, i feel pretty guilty :(

edit: and thanks for the raster interrupt idea. although neo cup '98 isn't that great.. does anyone know how good the "5 on 5 football" thing is?

subin posted on Feb 16 2006 at 08:49 PM said:
XD sorry neostuey, looks like i did pretty bad on all fronts :(

feel free to change it how you wish, i feel pretty guilty :(

edit: and thanks for the raster interrupt idea. although neo cup '98 isn't that great.. does anyone know how good the "5 on 5 football" thing is?

@subin my post is just my opinion, not the law. I'm not asking that you change your posts on the wiki. :)

In fact you are doing exactly what I have been begging people to do.

The selector switches is a very good new addition to the page. I just felt that by losing the samplerate section people may not not be drawn to read the information and fail to realise how much of a difference changing the samplerate makes . :) Noobs will tell you that they didn't see the info on the wiki, well if there's a great big heading above it they haven't got an excuse. :)

So if I sounded like I was upset in my earlier post I'm sorry.

Keep updating the wiki, and when I sort out my GP2X I'll come back and help.

;)

Forgot to reply about the football game, which game is this "5 on 5 football" thing?

rofl, well, edit it if you want, i won't get offended at all.

anyway, for those looking to increase their collection, http://www.neo-geo.com/ is a good bet. the "reviews" section covers lots of greats, and the "master list" is pretty useful as well.

:D Heh, I've been out all day, but for those who are interested, that's a statue of B Jenet from Garou Mark of the Wolves from some sort of gaming convention, I got it by googling her name. The original statue was gold, and yes, quite surrealy proportioned by an artist who probably studied anatomy at the same school as the guy who did the Chun-Li sprites for capcom :rolleyes:

subin, can you possibly upload your gngeo2x_config w/ the new settings that you updated the wiki with.

it would be very useful for many gngeo users.

TIA!

Hi,

With all fighting games that i have i have music :lol: but no sound :angry: .

It does with

kof98
Garou
Matrimelee
SVC plus

Tell me if you have the same probs or if you have a solution.

Bye

Ps: one last question did you format your SD with FAT or FAT32 and why?

hercule18 posted on Feb 17 2006 at 12:34 PM said:
Hi,

With all fighting games that i have i have music :lol: but no sound :angry: .

It does with

kof98
Garou
Matrimelee
SVC plus

Bye

I have the same problem, I assumed it was because I was using the Garou Prototype rom, I guess not though. On a slight tangent, how come the music is so bad ? I don't mean the emulation/samplerate, I mean the actual synth chip, did the AES have a weaker sound chip than the MVS ? I don't remember the music in garou sounding bad... :huh:

Mr_Munk posted on Feb 17 2006 at 11:57 AM said:
hercule18 posted on Feb 17 2006 at 12:34 PM said:
Hi,

With all fighting games that i have i have music  :lol:  but no sound :angry: .

It does with

kof98
Garou
Matrimelee
SVC plus

Bye

I have the same problem, I assumed it was because I was using the Garou Prototype rom, I guess not though. On a slight tangent, how come the music is so bad ? I don't mean the emulation/samplerate, I mean the actual synth chip, did the AES have a weaker sound chip than the MVS ? I don't remember the music in garou sounding bad... :huh:

You have hit a brick wall in terms of physical ram available.

That's why you have limited sounds or crappy music. The music in garou that you hear isn't even loaded from the proper sound roms, they get skipped altogether.

I think it will take some very clever work from pepone to overcome this. Then again it wouldn't be an issue if the GP2X had been shipped with 128mb ram on board instaed of 64mb. Still I didn't expect to be playing any kind of NeoGeo MVS/AES games on my GP2X and pepone should be thanked for all he has done so far. :D

Back