Gngeo2x 0.7 Beta 11

pepone said:
pongplaya said:
very nice release,
i only have a problem, i cannot dump gfx anymore... how much free space do i need on the sd card ?..
i got 200 mb free but each time i hit "b" it says it cannot dump :(
also burning fight quits after apprx 30 secs into startin it...
Gfx dump might be broken in this beta, I didn't check it. But I don't see why it would.

I'll check the burning fight bug.

dump works :) me idiot used the wrong rom sets :)
buring fight still quits after 30 sec though :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I have only one problem, when I load up metal slug x it says it is is loading rom but then it stops.
Apart from that metal slug 1 works fine with crystal clear sound.

Hi,

I have a big bug with Gngeo.

It seems Rage2x is recomended to use Gngeo, but all games are very choppy when i use it even @266.
Whereas it run much more better with the selector.

So is it a known bug?

Is there any way to solve it?

Bye

Herc. :ph34r:

You probably had different settings with rage2x. My personal guess is that you chose 44k sound with is still a bit choppy on most games (that option is not available with the selector I think). Drop that to 22k in rage2x and it should work just fine.

Hello!

Thanks for this release! However, I have two questions:
- Is it possible to overclock independently 920 and 940? My 920 goes to 280 MHz, but my 940 to 250, and therefore I can't overclock this new version of gngeo over 250. If not, Pepone, could you please add this option?
- Some people said that Metal Slug 1 was running great (60fps) at 200 MHz with sounrate 22050. However, on my GP2X, it is very slow at 250 MHz. Does anyone has the same problem?

Thanks!

hal9000 said:
Hello!

Thanks for this release! However, I have two questions:
- Is it possible to overclock independently 920 and 940? My 920 goes to 280 MHz, but my 940 to 250, and therefore I can't overclock this new version of gngeo over 250. If not, Pepone, could you please add this option?
- Some people said that Metal Slug 1 was running great (60fps) at 200 MHz with sounrate 22050. However, on my GP2X, it is very slow at 250 MHz. Does anyone has the same problem?

Thanks!
Yep, I had the same problem, delete all the data in your GNGEO folder (except your roms and bios files) then get this:
http://www.gp2x.de/cgi-bin/cfiles.cgi?0,0,0,0,5,2182

That should sort you out :)

Cannibal.

hal9000 said:
No, as both cores use the same clock source.

notaz said:
hal9000 said:
No, as both cores use the same clock source.

Strange, I thought Egoboo had such an option.

Anyway, my Gngeo crashed at 240 MHz this morning, and is still much slower than 0.6 for me, with similar settings (22 khz) :-(

I will try a reinstallation tonight, as Cannibal suggested.

hal9000 said:
Strange, I thought Egoboo had such an option.
But it didn't work. Try setting 920 clock to 50Mhz for Egoboo and run it. It will run exactly the same as is you set it to 250MHz, because gpu940 overrides clock of both CPUs when it starts.

Has there been any progress with the sound corruption/distortion bug? That is the only problem keeping this emu from being pretty near perfect.

pepone said:
DaveC said:
Has there been any progress with the sound corruption/distortion bug? That is the only problem keeping this emu from being pretty near perfect.
Can you try this version? It still far from perfect I think, but it should be better than before
http://m.peponas.free.fr/gngeo/download/gngeo0.7a-beta12.zip

Hi,

I didn't notice the corruption anymore in my tests. I did notice that there are pauses/skips in the sound (I think when the SD card is accessed). I didn't notice it in smaller ROMs, but large ones like Pulstar (FMV intro especially) do it alot. Before it corrupted, now I get sound pauses instead. Metal Slug not too bad (only noticed a few times) It is almost like when the SD is accessed there is no buffer for the sound, so rather than playing the sound from the buffer while loading it just stops until the card read is finished. It is definetly better for most games.

Pulstar is a good test game. It will show you right away in the intro if the problem exists (some games don't do it right away).

Thanks very much for the continued work on this awsome emu :)

DaveC said:
Hi,

I didn't notice the corruption anymore in my tests. I did notice that there are pauses/skips in the sound (I think when the SD card is accessed). I didn't notice it in smaller ROMs, but large ones like Pulstar (FMV intro especially) do it alot. Before it corrupted, now I get sound pauses instead. Metal Slug not too bad (only noticed a few times) It is almost like when the SD is accessed there is no buffer for the sound, so rather than playing the sound from the buffer while loading it just stops until the card read is finished. It is definetly better for most games.

Pulstar is a good test game. It will show you right away in the intro if the problem exists (some games don't do it right away).

Thanks for the report. Actually, for now, the sound start skiping when there is too much frame skiping. That's why you got it when sd card is accessed. I'm still searching a way to fix that.

pepone said:
DaveC said:
Hi,

Thanks for the report. Actually, for now, the sound start skiping when there is too much frame skiping. That's why you got it when sd card is accessed. I'm still searching a way to fix that.

Maybe buffer the sound? I don't recall the sound skipping before in older versions when frameskipping. I just remember the sound getting garbled. If some memory was set aside for a sound buffer it could play the sound from that when it needed then re-fill the buffer when it gets spare cycles in less demanding periods in game. There might be a situation where it completely drains the buffer but at least it would be less frequent. Just a thought, I am no coder so not sure if that would work.

I didn't even know there was a problem with this emu... I have to admit it is probably my favorite emu, well psx2gpx is quickly climbing into my heart. But with Rage2x I love this emulator... the only problem I have found so far is with Power Spike 2... the sound cuts out shortly after the start of play.

Great job on the emu... and looking forward to anything you might be able to add.

Oh just remembered... when play League Bowling I do get the memory card screen after playing... and prior asking about loading from the memory card... yet I have it set for Arcade Play. Not sure what is wrong there... maybe someone could explain to me what I am doing wrong. Otherwise... this has got to be one of the best (if not the best) emu's available for the Gp2x.

DaveC said:
Maybe buffer the sound? I don't recall the sound skipping before in older versions when frameskipping. I just remember the sound getting garbled. If some memory was set aside for a sound buffer it could play the sound from that when it needed then re-fill the buffer when it gets spare cycles in less demanding periods in game. There might be a situation where it completely drains the buffer but at least it would be less frequent. Just a thought, I am no coder so not sure if that would work.
Well, in earlier version, the sound generator (on the 940) and the sound player thread (on the 920) weren't really well synchronized, and so the sound could became garbled. Now, the synchronization is better in normal condition, but when there is too much frameskip you can notice the sound pausing so that the 2 core can be resynchronized.

pepone said:
DaveC said:
Well, in earlier version, the sound generator (on the 940) and the sound player thread (on the 920) weren't really well synchronized, and so the sound could became garbled. Now, the synchronization is better in normal condition, but when there is too much frameskip you can notice the sound pausing so that the 2 core can be resynchronized.

Hmm makes sense that way why it happens. I wish I was a dev and could give a hint on how to fix but I can't :( I can just test it and report. Hopefully you can find a way around that. The pauses are kind of distracting but better than garbled I think. Thanks for the improvements.

Back