Gp2x Vs Psp Emulation As Of Now...

Cervante

PS3 ID: Cervante1
Website
Visit site
A while back there was a list of consoles & handhelds with emulation capabilitie . The PSP stood in 1st place while the GP2X was 2nd place, at this point has the GP2X made a bigger progress than the PSP or do they both stand in the same place?

it's pretty close aint it?

most are pretty equal but mame is best on gp2x, gba is best on psp, snes is better on psp ( not by much now ) but the blurry screen is apparently a pain.

hopefully dave c will chime in, i think he very effectively answered this question a couple/few months back.

I guess that for the common emulators user, the winning factor is the toughest system each handheld can emulate, and in that case, PSX perfect emulation on the PSP will still be considered the wining point, and only a proof of concept on the GP2X. But if it was taken from other aspects like being faithful to the original screen ratios, the number of emulators each system can emulate, the price and the trouble of getting these emulators to run (like with the PSPs firmwares that need to be downgraded or hacked) then the GP2X will be the winner.
Long live the GP2X :D

oh, it starts again. my advice is just to use both machines. the ghosting screen of the psp is a downside, but it is not that bad as some people on this forum think. on the other hand for many on this forum the psp's psx emu is a major advantage of the psp (not for me I do not like the psx).

oh I forgot to mention that my personal bench mark is the arcade versions of outrun and pole position, unfortunately both systems fail. as there are nice conversions of both games for the gba, the psp is still a bit ahead

Yeah, I haven't experienced any of this so called "ghosting" on my psp. All the graphics looks fine to me. If they combined the best of the psp and the best of the gp2x, it would be a great handheld :D the only two things I absolutely HATE about the psp is the odd speaker placement and the weird joystick. I don't have problems with the d-pad like I've heard most people do..
but personally, I'm leaning towards the PSP at the moment, because having fullspeed GBA (weee Warioware!!) and PSX emulation is awesome :)

it really depends on how old you are and your tastes for games.

the psp can do some newer systems better like PSX and GBA,
but the GP2x can do some older systems better like MAME and SegaCD (forthcoming)

I, personally, like the older systems, but I'm 27. Someone closer to 18 would probably like the PSP better.

As for the ghosting on PSP, you'd have to be blind not to see it, load up any commercial game and play the intro video for it. Or, just play a UMD or downloaded movie. Everything slurs together like a drunk bum's vocabulary. :p

Yeah, I haven't experienced any of this so called "ghosting" on my psp. All the graphics looks fine to me. If they combined the best of the psp and the best of the gp2x, it would be a great handheld :D the only two things I absolutely HATE about the psp is the odd speaker placement and the weird joystick. I don't have problems with the d-pad like I've heard most people do..
but personally, I'm leaning towards the PSP at the moment, because having fullspeed GBA (weee Warioware!!) and PSX emulation is awesome :)

We could have had fullspeed GBA but exophase got a busted GP2X so the project looks like it is dead at this point. Zottd was looking at it at one time (did the quick port to GP2X) but seems to have gone off in other directions instead. Kind of a shame as it was promising for a quick unoptimised port to the GP2X.

I have a PSP but on mine the ghosting is unbearable and the screen aspect and blurry stretch filters make a bad situation worse. Widescreens make terrible emulation handhelds. If you don't mind everything looking like you have cataracts, the PSP is fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yea ghosting is slightly noticible for me, but barely. It honestly depends on peoples tastes. My cousin once bought a new flat panel monitor and resold it for half the price because it had some slight ghosting. I probably would have kept it, but thats me :p .

Yep I can't really stand the ghosting either, a low-res screen stretched to a 16:9 aspect ratio and a 4.3 inches makes is a obvious no-no to begin with.

Yep I can't really stand the ghosting either, a low-res screen stretched to a 16:9 aspect ratio and a 4.3 inches makes is a obvious no-no to begin with.

The ghosting is hardly noticeable .. I'm playing Wipeout Pure, OC'd to 333mhz, running off the memstick and I swear it looks smoother :ph34r:

my gba emulates gba perfectly :)

not trying to be too facetious, of course. there's just something cooler about emulating a system that has tapes or big fat cartridges and used to require cabling and a tv set.

also, i don't have a psp but my friend does and i have seen it a couple times, and i don't get all the bashing it receives on this forum...i think it looks and feels amazing. i bought the gp2x because it's open. but if i had lots of extra cash, i'm sure i could justify having both :)

The ghosting is hardly noticeable .. I'm playing Wipeout Pure, OC'd to 333mhz, running off the memstick and I swear it looks smoother :ph34r:

3D games where things come at you don't look as bad. It probably has to do with the fact that when things come at you the pixels don't pan very fast, plus many 3D games run at 30 FPS giving the LCD time to catch up. You also probably interpret alot of it as "motion blur"

Put in a side scroller with high contrast graphics and 60 fps such as Sonic, stretch to 16:9 and filter it and it is a different story.

Expect a nice gpSP release for GP2X coming soon. Once I get it compiled somehow. ;P

3D games where things come at you don't look as bad. It probably has to do with the fact that when things come at you the pixels don't pan very fast, plus many 3D games run at 30 FPS giving the LCD time to catch up. You also probably interpret alot of it as "motion blur"

Put in a side scroller with high contrast graphics and 60 fps such as Sonic, stretch to 16:9 and filter it and it is a different story.

even on 3d games it is noticeable. Play Ridge Racer and drive through a tunnel and focus on the red back lights of the car in front of you, you can even see a ghosting line of about 1.5 cm. My point is: it is a fact that there is this ghosting effect. The question is only how much you care about it. For me it is not a big issue. But I can understand your point Dave.

... well damn! Why the hell would I or anyone in their right mind stretch the emu to fill the PSP's screen?!? :lol: And filter it?!? :blink:

Back