Gpengine - Back From The Dead? Maybe...

Prophet

God I'm old.
Website
Visit site
According to a recent post at ZodiacGamer by CraigX:

Skeezix, I don't think it is lost as I was speaking to the dev's a week or so ago about a new version of GPE and the saves having the smc bug.

So suprisingly GPE is still alive.

-Craig

www.gbax.com

Source: http://www.emuboards.com/invision/index.php?showtopic=20354

So... Is this true?! Could one of the GP32's most famous and most impressive early apps actually still be alive and in development? And will we see a new version someday? One can only hope. But Craig is certainly a reliable source.

that would really absolutely amazing!

GPEngine is really one of the best emulators, but i usually never used it, because of the missing savestates. i mostly play in trains or on the toilet and without saving i just can play the first level of a shooter ;)

btw...what is the whole/true story about the lost sourcecode?

i don't really mind save states, the games for TG-16 weren't that long to begin with, the only game I have that I really wish I could save would be Nuetopia 2. As for the other games, I don't mind starting over from the beginning, especially Samurai Spirits, great game.

craigix posted on Feb 15 2005 at 10:15 PM said:
CraigIx.

edit: infact how come no one ever misses out the I in skeezix?

aaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Because some names SOUND as if they should be pronounced differently than they're actually written. skee-ziks rolls nicely off the tongue. craig-iks does not. Craig-eks, however does.

Notice how the vowel sounds are the same in the first and second half of the word in "skee-ziks" and "craig-eks"?

There's your explanation. :D :ph34r:

Last edited by a moderator:
0-bake posted on Feb 15 2005 at 09:25 PM said:
that would really absolutely amazing!

GPEngine is really one of the best emulators, but i usually never used it, because of the missing savestates. i mostly play in trains or on the toilet and without saving i just can play the first level of a shooter ;)

btw...what is the whole/true story about the lost sourcecode?

Yeah I thought the source was lost in a HDD crash never to be seen again. I have also been hearing that GPEngine is not dead for like a year now and there still hasn't been a reliable answer or any updates yet. So yeah, don't get your hopes up. It is not only the saves that are the problem but there are many games that don't work right either. Missing backgrounds, missing sprites, garbled graphics etc are there. It is only full speed at FS 1 too, with some optimisation it could run at FS 0. Plus there could be SGFX and CD support too (hell if the GBA can have it why can't we?) So yeah there is still alot that could be done with it.

and don't forget that the author was working on rf link support which was implemented in a version used at the euro gp32 meet years ago.

angrypants posted on Feb 16 2005 at 04:42 AM said:
and don't forget that the author was working on rf link support which was implemented in a version used at the euro gp32 meet years ago.

yeahhh :) that version would already merit a new release one day :) but immagine if he's really working on it since so long.... :rolleyes: SCD/SGFX/Savestates would become true one day??? :D

Agreed, most PCE games are okay w/o saving, as most were short.... but you do really need them for Neutopia 1 and 2 :( two of the best PCE games there were.

I got pretty excited when I saw this thread pop up... unfortunately after reading the whole thread it doesn't really give me any new hope that this emu may ever be revived... where is the guy who created this emu and why doesn't someone just ask him directly?

Well there is still hope, though far off and not a definite thing... it's at least something to look forward to. Reesy has mentioned that he MAY, SOMEDAY be interested in trying to port over PocketPCE from the GBA to the GP, and feels it would run full speed easily. Not sure what might become of saves, still, as PocketPCE doesn't have working save states... but I'm sure Reesy could work it out. Well... hopefully one day, SOMEONE finishes, ports or creates a PCE emu for the GP that fixes up the last few flaws GPE had :(

Shirohagen - you sure it's a bug? Try playing the game at a different framerate... a lot of things that normally were meant to flicker, vanish completely when running the emu at 30fps (the default setting).

Nice advice guys, cheers. I'm actually crossing my fingers to be able to play it on my GP32 with MAME one day, in the absence of that I selected the PC Engine version as the most faithful, but I'd never tried the Genesis one so I'll give it a look...

®

If it is actually true and Craigix actually is communicating with the devs I wish he would ask a couple of simple questions and tell us once and for all what the hell the REAL story is. There is alot of speculation and rumours about it but no facts.

The answers to these simple questions would be nice:

1. Was the source lost or do you still have it?

2. Any idea of when any updates will be released?

3. Is the project ACTIVELY being worked on? Or is it one of those " we may work on it if we get the time and/or feel like doing it someday" type things. as that is usually just a nice way of saying "it is dead".

That is it.

If it was lost, it should ge remade! this is a must have for the GP community!! :)

Thraka posted on Feb 16 2005 at 07:30 PM said:
If it was lost, it should ge remade! this is a must have for the GP community!! :)
Then remake it ;) <_<

As far as I know yeah there might be another release, there was a version with saves but they caused the smc bug.

I know cd support was being worked on etc. but there was not enough cpu time to play the music tracks too (as mp3).

I think reesy wants to look at pcea anyway, so either way there should be some more PCE action sooner or later.

-Craig

www.gbax.com

Back