Release Hase 1.5

I did release a small new release using NEON and fixing a bug in the particle system, which breaks the determinism, which is hardly needed for online games and online replays.

So I finally played for a bit earlier. I stuck with a bunny for most games, however I wanted to check out how the worm with a hat looked.
Yes, I need to fix that...
It is pretty fun, and I like blowing things up. It is nice that I can just play a single round or whatever it is called, and it doesn't waste too much time.

I am looking forward to playing online. Has anyone else done this?
Yes, me! :D

In fact for this I did implement the IRC chat in Hase. I hoped some people would idle in #hase on irc.freenode.net and will find some mates for a quick game, continue chatting with them in hase ingame and even while playing. But the interest is sobbering. I don't know, whether I will continue developing Hase at all. It needs too much time to make a game only for myself.
Often when I get the chance to play Hase, I don't have an internet connection available. I'm excited for Pyra, where I can play Hase online no matter where I am. A project that would really set Pyra apart from past open source handhelds would be a modular IRC client/launcher that would allow for multiplayer games to be set up easily, multiplayer games like Hase, Paper Wars, Tanks of Freedom, Settlers of Catan could perhaps be started and joined directly from the client. It could even be integrated into c4a, tracking win/loss/forfeit.

If nothing else, an IRC or message board with a focus on online games could have a shortcut on the Pandora/Pyra toolbar. This could hopefully maximize the number of Pandora owners searching for or starting games.

Okay, just tried it out on my computer.  I'll just mention that resizing the window causes the menus to go a bit funny, but I guess that's not an issue for your target platforms.  And making ctrl mean OK is annoying if I want to ctrl-alt to a different workspace while playing!

I was a bit confused initially by the mines.  I'd not noticed a mine getting triggered, and when it blew up at the start of the next turn and the camera did a slightly weird wobble, I couldn't work out what had happened.  I wonder if making the mines have a different explosion sound might make it clearer what had happened (though that wouldn't help for the first time of course)

The AI is very dumb when it comes to pickups.  At the moment that skews things heavily in favour of live players, but perhaps that's intentional?

It might be nice if, as in Worms, mines are movable, so they can be knocked aside by an explosion (with hilarious consequences, natch).

In the lobby, long comments break rendering a little, and you end up typing blind.  If you don't want to make it split lines, perhaps just switching to right aligned when text hits the window width might be better.

In general though, it's still a solid game and I'm impressed with the number of changes since I last played it on Pandora.

Okay, just tried it out on my computer.  I'll just mention that resizing the window causes the menus to go a bit funny, but I guess that's not an issue for your target platforms.  And making ctrl mean OK is annoying if I want to ctrl-alt to a different workspace while playing!
Yes. The PC build are more like a by-product for debugging and stuff...
I was a bit confused initially by the mines.  I'd not noticed a mine getting triggered, and when it blew up at the start of the next turn and the camera did a slightly weird wobble, I couldn't work out what had happened.  I wonder if making the mines have a different explosion sound might make it clearer what had happened (though that wouldn't help for the first time of course)
This and a "beep" sound while blinking. ;)
The AI is very dumb when it comes to pickups.  At the moment that skews things heavily in favour of live players, but perhaps that's intentional?
I want to add some weapons especially against tactics like "standing on top of a player". Furthermore the AI shall use more different weapons in the future and move with a BIT more sense. ;)
It might be nice if, as in Worms, mines are movable, so they can be knocked aside by an explosion (with hilarious consequences, natch).
Hm. I will overthink this. Exploding items would be a nice idea, too (but without napalm ;) ).
In the lobby, long comments break rendering a little, and you end up typing blind.  If you don't want to make it split lines, perhaps just switching to right aligned when text hits the window width might be better.
Good idea! Thanks, I will add this to the todo
In general though, it's still a solid game and I'm impressed with the number of changes since I last played it on Pandora.
I told I made a big release, just nobody believed or tested. -_-
Anyway. Thanks for the feedback. :D

I played a few more games.  I am not so good, even if I was winning.  Little things like trying to jump across to another piece of ground, or with one overhead, seem beyond me.  I kept having issues in places that had craters that were next to or in gaps between the places and the weird gravity would have me flying all over, out of control.  Maybe I will get better.  I am sure I would be an easy win for anyone I tried to play against.

When I tried to play online I was connected to the channel and everything, but had trouble when trying to create a game (the game would crash I guess).  I didn't look into what was going on.  I will next time.  

I still need to experiment with the different weapons.  I have been sticking with a couple and the others might work better sometimes.

I forgot to mention this last time:  If you use AB mouse you will need to switch back to normal mouse before playing.

directive0, do you want to play against someone else?  I can try to create a game again, or join one you make.  I am probably pretty harmless.

Turn wifi on and connect to your wireless network and choose "online game" or whatever the second choice on the menu is. I will be on in a minute.

I've started another game. From here on in all my matches will be puns on the word Haze.

Git some!

Hey Ziz while you're adding things to your TODO list, I think a buddy system with invites would be a good idea too!

Thoroughly enjoyable few games. I was brutally defeated, though a lot of the damage was self inflicted. 

Things I learned:

-Space is a cold indifferent place and you may drift off into the void if you don't plan your jumps right.

-Jump and Shoot are two buttons that could stand to be further apart

-A single large mass makes a better battle ground than several smaller disparate ones

-eyeball puns are fun. 

Thanks again for this game. Loving it. Bringing back lots of late night Wormz memories.

Back