Release Hase 1.5

At least zombie mode seemed to work well.  Although the zombie behaviour was slightly odd - the first few rounds of the zombie fired off a quick carrot, before jumping off, but later moves just consisted of a single kaio ken.  Perhaps that's the intention, but it seemed a little odd.

In zombie mode the zombie just presses the buttons for left, right, jump and fire ;) So if the character choose kaio ken before the zombie mode will not fix this. ;)

The weapon choice is per hare. You probably killed the hare with the carrot. ;)

For the Users of the Desktop builds (be it Linux or Windows) out there:

I made a new version using the Right Ctrl key instead of AltGr. AltGr is a bitch under Windows (at least with SDL1.3), but I don't want to use AltGr under Linux and Right Ctrl under Windows, so I changed it for every desktop system. Just redownload the most recent version 1.5.3.3:

Linux 64 Bit: http://ziz.gp2x.de/downloads/hase/hase-amd64.tar.gz

Linux 32 Bit: http://ziz.gp2x.de/downloads/hase/hase-i386.tar.gz

Windows: http://ziz.gp2x.de/downloads/hase/hase-win32.zip

Hmm, that has caused me problems; the laptop keyboard doesn't have a right ctrl button.  I can't start games or change weapons now.  Perhaps I should reconfigure my keyboard, or perhaps you have a solution for me?

Playing against Ingo just now (him Windows, me i386 Linux) seems to have brought some issues to the fore.  Both running 1.5.3.4 I believe, his game 'crashed' at the start of his fifth or sixth turn (I think), but remained connected to IRC so I don't know if it actually crashed, or just SDL died.

When that happened, my computer brought up the 'timeout 1 min' banner, but it remained up for over 2 minutes.  Eventually it seemed to abort back to the lobby.  I never got to play against his zombie.

My stdout/err log shows it kept trying to pull his second 267, but kept getting a 1000 response.  It then goes a little strange, and I can't reconcile it with what I saw.  Here's the relevant bits:

Pulling Second 267 of player IngoReis...

Done with status: 1000

player IngoReis kicked or not available

Done with status: 0

* Recalculating level:

Drawing Ellipse: 1

Update Gravity: 3

Drawing Ellipse: 0

Drawing Arrows: 8

Blitting: 2

Pulling Second 268 of player IngoReis...

Pulling Second 269 of player IngoReis...

Pulling Second 270 of player IngoReis...

Pulling Second 271 of player IngoReis...

Pulling Second 272 of player IngoReis...

Ending Pull Thread for player IngoReis

Setting player time from 272459 to 273000

* Recalculating level:

Drawing Ellipse: 0

Update Gravity: 2

Drawing Ellipse: 1

Drawing Arrows: 9

Blitting: 3

Setting player time from 0 to 0

Starting Push Thread for player Levi

Pushing Second 241 of player Levi...

Sent second 241!

Ending Push Thread for player Levi (s: 242)

Sent second 242!

Setting player time from 242361 to 243000

IP of ziz.gp2x.de: 5.9.50.149

Using server ziz.gp2x.de/haseserver12 with Version 12

Okay, the Right Control problem I tried to solve by using the Menu key instead. Your notebook keyboard should at least have this button? I tried it with Windows and Linux and it worked fine. :)

I took a look at your log, what I can say is:

Ingo has some problems sending his data ("Done with status 1000" means, that you will wait 1000 ms before trying again to get his next turn).

However it works then, he hits something ( this is why the level is recalculated) and 5 seconds are follow, in which he tries to flee.

Then his turns ends. His game milliseconds needs to be rounded up (internal reasons) and it starts an AI turn. The AI hits somethings and then sets it's player time from 0 to 0. Doesn't make much sense, but doesn't hurt neither... (In fact I did just notice this useless code, but however with this I know an AI made it's turn).

Then it's your turn. This is quite interesting, because you have not shoot (or at least not hit, but this would be quite hard in under two seconds!), but finish quite fast. So I guess you stopped the game gracefully with closing the window or ending the game. It did not crash. It had time to finish your turn, set your player time and to get the recen lobby informations (the "IP of ziz..." stuff).

Could it be, that you did hit AltGr+Q or similar without wanting to do so or similar?

Greetings,

Ziz

Last edited by a moderator:
We weren't playing with an AI, just me and Ingo.

It's possible I hit some important key combination. I have my IRC on an adjacent workspace and was ctrl+alting between it and the stalled hase screen periodically. But I watched it for over a minute, and observed it didn't time out. When I later came back from the other workspace it had reset to the lobby.

We weren't playing with an AI, just me and Ingo.
Oh... Interesting! I will have a look, whether Zombies spawn such "time set from 0 to 0" messages, too. Otherwise this would be wrong.
It's possible I hit some important key combination. I have my IRC on an adjacent workspace and was ctrl+alting between it and the stalled hase screen periodically. But I watched it for over a minute, and observed it didn't time out. When I later came back from the other workspace it had reset to the lobby.
Hm, hard to tell, what really happens. We need just more games for testing. As said, Hase is highly experimental and until some days ago it was nearly untested. In fact it is impressive, that it doesn't crash more often!

Just tested 1.5.3.5; this keyboard does have a menu key, and it does work. I guess I'll have to test other stuff tonight.

Please note, Ingo reported not being able to use pgup/down to set weapon power on his Windows machine, and not seeing any logs from it. I guess if he launched it from the file manager, it may not capture stdout/err, but I'm not too familiar with Windows in that respect. Might be better if it did positively log to a file, at least on Windows though.

Also, one feature request. It can be a little tricky to tell if someone is waiting in the lobby for you while you're watching a replay, or spectating on their last match. If they post to IRC you can watch out for that, but there's no way from your point of view to actively see what's happening in the lobby - you're left watching the IRC bar to see if anyone posts.

I reckon we don't actually need to see in the lobby, at least we can live without it for a while. What would help me I suspect is a button to skip to the next play when watching a replay or live, so that you can speed up watching a replay to check what's happening, or catch up to live when spectating live.  Would something like that be possible (probably for next week to be fair, after you've got this build a little more stable).

For anyone that plays online tonight:  Please report any problems or bugs you find here.  Not knowing how to play, or jumping out into space and drifting away are not bugs.

No freeze here more,work fine ^_^

I am online when you want to play with me :D

Crash log:

IP of ziz.gp2x.de: 5.9.50.149

Using server ziz.gp2x.de/haseserver12 with Version 12

Parse level: 8 16o 16o*hp fw 3y*8e jx 15*eq bl 3t^9s tj nu si gv wk^yn s0 y8 ub qa x2^p3 j6 p8 j6 p7 iz#i0 q2 mc l4 hd gs d1 lr#x9 te x7 td x6 tf x8 tg#nj gg gn o6 oe v2 va nb

Zoom 16640, Width 260, Height 260

Parse level: 8 16o 16o*hp fw 3y*8e jx 15*eq bl 3t^9s tj nu si gv wk^yn s0 y8 ub qa x2^p3 j6 p8 j6 p7 iz#i0 q2 mc l4 hd gs d1 lr#x9 te x7 td x6 tf x8 tg#nj gg gn o6 oe v2 va nb

Zoom 20992, Width 328, Height 328

Parse level: 4 16o 16o*pi ud 1o*hb eu 2v*jw v5 15^77 eo 8c dv 7e dt^iy gl j4 gl j9 h6^nb 87 wi ig sw aj#la pi jw st n6 u7 ol qx#ug o7 qr pd rx t2 vm rw#r5 lg qw l9 qp lh qy lo

Parse level: 7 16o 16o*dz ck 4v*ip gw 4u*bm ci 2d^av ms bn gy fq j4^fw hk gy cr hg d9^fk ps dm no 9x ox#nd fk fn kb ke s2 s5 na#jc rb im rn ix sd jo s1#ll qs ry m2 n8 fp gv kf

Parse level: 7 16o 16o*dz ck 4v*ip gw 4u*bm ci 2d^av ms bn gy fq j4^fw hk gy cr hg d9^fk ps dm no 9x ox#nd fk fn kb ke s2 s5 na#jc rb im rn ix sd jo s1#ll qs ry m2 n8 fp gv kf

Zoom 65536, Width 1536, Height 1536

Setting player 6

Setting player 0

Setting player 2

Setting player 3

Setting player 7

Setting player 4

Setting player 0

Setting player 0

^C./hase.sh: line 2: 4203 Segmentation fault (core dumped) LD_LIBRARY_PATH=. ./hase

I was joining Big Group, crashed after a little of that 'setting level' stuff, I forget exactly how far it got.

Fun game :D . Only problem is that my target buttons weren't really working :( . But could be because I was using my laptop. Anyhow; much fun..even if I did get blasted into space lol.

Bug report: At some point I am unable to see the chat during a game. Then I know it is close to locking up. Controls do not respond, music keeps playing. image freezes.

As I mentioned, I think the time out period was longer than it was supposed to be.  1 minute would work, as would however long each player gets per turn.  I can't remember if you can change turn length when setting up a game.

Levi frequently ended up a zombie.  I did too eventually.  I can try to provide whatever info if you tell me what you need and where to find it. I was using my Pandora.  Initially Hase was freezing up after games when trying to join the next.  I couldn't quit or get back to the desktop so I was rebooting to get back in before the game started without me.  Eventually I started having trouble during games ina way that sounds like what FBnil saw.  Once was while it was my turn, and initially I was able to aim, then everything stopped.  The next time was right after a game started and I never got to see anything in game.  Other things were working so I tried chatting and sending insults, but those never showed on my screen, so I quit and saw everything I said in the channel, as well as other comments that I never saw in game.  There may have been other stuff.

Are the issues with the game freezing limited to the Pandora version?

Fun game :D . Only problem is that my target buttons weren't really working :( . But could be because I was using my laptop. Anyhow; much fun..even if I did get blasted into space lol.
I noticed you were using the high jump instead of normal movements a lot of the time.  I don't know if that was intentional or if you were having issues.  I don't know how much work it would be, but maybe Ziz could allow players to choose their own controls, and maybe controller or joystick input, for the non-Pandora versions.

I will try to make myself available for further testing if I have time.

Back