Release Hase 1.5

It is MUCH better against other people.

Would it be easy to add minmal controls when you are floating off toward the edge of the map so you can recover?  My guy had a rocket pack or something on his back and he still just kept going.

Edit: A better question may be would you want to.  I found that if you jump through the gravity of things the right way you can make use of the floating, but it is still very high risk.

Last edited by a moderator:
For me the 'oh, bugger' moment when you accidentally drift off into zero G near the end of the edge of the level is one of the defining characteristics of the game.  If you can't handle it, unlucky!

On the other hand, the introduction of the visible border changes things slightly.  I can now see that it resets your orientation to 0 degrees when you leave gravity, since I can now see which way the level edges run.  It might be more subtle if it retained your last orientation when you leave gravity, or what might be even nicer is if conserved your angular momentum, although I guess the game doesn't actually use angular momentum anywhere so far, but instead points you to 'down' (which is why it defaults to 0 when there is no 'down').

I enjoyed your enjoyably newbie game, rydD and D0.  Once you've had a bit more practice with the power level controls you should be decent competition, as you did have a difficult level to play on.

Actually, that reminds me. I'm not sure about this crosshair aiming over the old arrow thing.  The arrow gives you a visual reminder of the power, rather than having to look at a number in the bottom right.  Perhaps sounds for increasing and dropping power would be good, although I'm aware Worms does that too.

That should work.  I will bump this thread next Friday to remind everyone that might want in.

ok, so I have one week to figure out how to connect...

Nice to see, how many people now idle in #hase! :D

I released a new version. You don't have to update (it should not break something for multiplayer, but we should test this until friday), but I implemented some neat features:

Version 1.5.2.1:

- Right aligned text input if more text than fits in the window

- No movement while typing

- If admin leaves game, the game is not shown in the game list anymore

- rotation stays fix when no gravitation

- Less network spam

- Removed "Aiming 100%" label above AI after it shoot

Greetings, Ziz!

- Less network spam

Okay, first the good news; all the text I've tinted green seems to work as described in the new version, both online and offline (where appropriate).  Tested on i386 linux.

I've tried an online game against AIs, but I don't think that verifies your 'less network spam' claim.  I've not yet found anyone to play the new version with, in case that is enlightening.

The bad news is, I still got stuck in a movement loop after entering an IRC comment.  I may have been wrong in my suspicion that it happened when I was mid-move before, as now I got it to do it twice while my hare was completely stationary.  I'm not sure what the real trigger is yet, I'm afraid.

- Less network spam

Okay, first the good news; all the text I've tinted green seems to work as described in the new version, both online and offline (where appropriate).  Tested on i386 linux.
I've tried an online game against AIs, but I don't think that verifies your 'less network spam' claim.  I've not yet found anyone to play the new version with, in case that is enlightening.

The bad news is, I still got stuck in a movement loop after entering an IRC comment.  I may have been wrong in my suspicion that it happened when I was mid-move before, as now I got it to do it twice while my hare was completely stationary.  I'm not sure what the real trigger is yet, I'm afraid.
Okay, thanks for the bug report. I will have a look at it tomorrow. Glad, the rest is working ;)

New version 1.5.2.2 with fixed bug and some other little improvements:

- Improved handling of disconnects (now called "Zombies" ingame)

- Fixed jump while typing

- No message filter for irc messages in replays

Greetings, Ziz

I will try to give it some online testing in the next few days if I have time and can find others.

Okay, have tested it against AI online now, and I can confirm the movement while chatting problem seems to have been fixed.  I couldn't test the others as I assume they need someone to play against.  How do we test the 'zombies' problem exactly?

Okay, have tested it against AI online now, and I can confirm the movement while chatting problem seems to have been fixed.
Nice to hear.
I couldn't test the others as I assume they need someone to play against.  How do we test the 'zombies' problem exactly?
This isn't / wasn't a real problem. When a player left or got a timeout the hare will move randomly instead. This is the mentioned "Zombie mode". In the past it wasn't clear, that the player was gone.
To test it, you need to join twice (two program runs on the PC or one on the PC and one on the pandora), and the player, which is NOT the game master need to leave. However the game will even continue if the game master's hase session is killed (network gone, battery empty, kill -9 ...).

hmmm it angers me that I can´t test it, Ziz... I really do hope that I can buy a new cable soon. As far as I can see you have really done a great job. I wanna try it :(

This is why I asked you to test my games.

Levi and I just played a game a found a very nasty bug, which freezed the whole game. I had to restart my pandora...

The bug occured if you build (with the build tool) VERY close to the player. As close as possible. The build tool was green, so in fact no collision should have occured. However in fact it hit the collision circle of the player, which then ran into an infinite loop. I hopefully fixed this.

If you want to play on friday you need to update. The version 1.5.2.2 and the recent version can't play together (because I changed the game logic). The links above always point to the most recent release. ;)

Greetings,

Ziz

Back