Headphone jack on P2

What function for the fourth pin on Pandora 2?

• Microphone input

Votes: 48 82.8%
  • Composite output (TV)

Votes: 10 17.2%

• Total voters

As I don't know which SoC is currently undergoing evaluation (do you?) and my knowledge about the acutal implementation is limited, I can't tell (what do you mean exactly when you write "outputs" btw. ?). But regarding versatility I was more looking in the "extra Channel" direction for applications like USB Extensions and sorts.
Well, the OMAP5 that has been suggested has an HDMI port built in, it doesn't have a DisplayPort. Adding HDMI is basically just a matter of connecting a port. Adding everything else that goes with a DisplayPort to give it the versatility will necessarily require additional chips to handle the I/O.

P2 is most likely not going to contain an internal microphone. It didn't appear to be a big feature on P1 and my hardware selections are based on what stays, what goes and what will be new.

I suspect that the microphone isn't a big feature in the P1 because people can't figure out how the hell to use it rather than because of a lack of interest in it.

I think an internal microphone is worth considering, in particular because it allows easy use of VoIP (including Skype). Or maybe you can go with Grench's idea and somehow use the speakers as a microphone. Even if the quality sucks, I think an internal microphone would be a nice convenience if it were actually easy to use.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use the internal Mic quite a bit when I use Mumble.., but I would have no issue using a headset MIC if I had to.

so yeah I vote for a microphone input.

Voted for TV-Out since cables for that are readily available, like the one the n900 uses. And Soo many people have been crying for TV-Out, rightfully so.

I for one thing will cry if the only video out option is HDMI. Don't own an HDMI enabled TV and most likely won't for another few years. Edit: Let's keep it retro, 'kay?

I realy want HDMI, so I can plug in a HDMI->DVI adaptor and use my Padora as a Real Laptop/PC.

But a analog out over the Headsetjack will be nice as a 2nd Output.

Microphone would probably see more utilization with Android being a first class install.. Hope the internal microphone is reconsidered for the sake of DS emulation too.

Composite video sucks, I feel sorry for anyone who has to use it coming off a modern device in 2013.

I think, in the spirit of 'not-a-smartphone' All outputs from the P2's SOC (not tied up with other hardware) should be accessible to the modestly skilled hacker.

I don't know how feasible that would be, but it could attract the right sort of geeky users

I just had one of those real odd ideas. It may even be patentable.

Use stereo speakers as stereo mics -while- they're being used as speakers.

The speaker's resistance will change based on how much signal it's getting from the Pandora. This should be measurable - and predictable.

At the same time the speaker is going to be vibrating and generating variances in that resistance based on the environment around it. This should cause a delta in the measured resistance vs predicted.

That delta is ambient sound. Since the device itself is digital - and knows what -was- produced at that point in time, it should be able to generate the cleaned-up delta as a digital recording.

Or we could just add a couple of pinhole microphones.

Definitely a mic over composite, although an internal mic would be preferable. With updated specs + likelihood of an official android install + hopefully a better mic driver, voice chat would be better supported and more widely used. Obviously a front cam would be sweet too but that depends what all you guys are planning. :)

And HDMI? Sweet!

Hope the internal microphone is reconsidered for the sake of DS emulation too.
Oh, you.

I don't know why you guys think I'm joking. I don't think anyone wants to plug in a microphone just so they can perform DS game ritual blowing or name their stupid Nintendog.

^ Personally I was hoping it would have an internal Mic and have the option to plug in a headset.

personally I would like it to be composite out; but, there needs to be a mic input somewhere, whether it be a little pad on the board, or on another port.

also, (slightly off topic) I would like to some form of RGB out, I don't care if it's analogue or digital, I just REALLY hate composite.

HDMI already supports a digital RGB format (over differential signals), so it'll have that.

Not having an internal microphone on P2 would be a step backwards IMHO. Surely VOIP would be a commonly requested feature for P2?

I suspect that the microphone isn't a big feature in the P1 because people can't figure out how the hell to use it rather than because of a lack of interest in it.

With this in mind, is there any current software which allows the Pandora to be used as a dictaphone?

Back