Headphones On The Pandora

Exoskull969

Still Fresh
I got some headphones today that are 32 ohms. I am aware that the Pandora supports up to 16 ohms for headphones. What will happen if I hook the two up and play some music?

Exoskull said:
I got some headphones today that are 32 ohms. I am aware that the Pandora supports up to 16 ohms for headphones. What will happen if I hook the two up and play some music?
I don't know what you mean by "supports up to 16 ohms", but there should be no problem with your headphones.

Last edited by a moderator:
while we're on the topic... will the pandora's audio-in also support audio out? would like to know if i could hook up two sets of headphones for music sharing(listening to music with my girlfriend)

Exoskull said:

The same thing that happens when you put headphones into any headphone jack...

:blink:

Butterman said:
Exoskull said:

but theres a higher ohms than the device supports actually its double so would they produce sound?

It should still work just fine. At the worst, you'll have to turn up the volume.

I'm still curious on bluetooth functionality, but figured with the nature of these forums it was best not to share my fears. I mean, the wireless was having issues, and my concern there was what about the bluetooth. And now that the wireless appears to work fine, I still haven't seen anything regarding recent tests of the bluetooth.

So, hopefully bluetooth will work fine. But since that requires drivers and all, it's a wait and see situation there.

The only problem I can foresee with Bluetooth audio is that I'm not sure ALSA supports it. I thought that was one of the pros of Pulse Audio. Shouldn't be a problem as it's all in the Angstrom repo.

Exoskull said:
Butterman said:
Exoskull said:

but theres a higher ohms than the device supports actually its double so would they produce sound?

Ohm simply means resistance to electricity flow (current particularly) or in other words how "forceful" the signals to bring sound to your speakers is.

The most that would happen is that your headphones would be a bit more quiet, but im sure you've noticed that in switching a pair of headphones for another one ;)

Exoskull said:
You will get about 90mW of power. On the other hand, your THD (total harmonic distortion) just dropped from 0.03% to 0.02% at 1Khz
So, it will be quieter, but in theory better quality. And you also dropped the maximum power dissipation in the amplifier by half.

EDIT: Souce (PDF)

Exoskull said:
Butterman said:
Exoskull said:

Hell won't break loose unless you hook up anything LESS than 16 ohms. I blew out the analog output on an MP3 Decoder IC that way. Max 30 Ohms. Hooked up 8 Ohms. IC is now an expensive heater :lol:

Less resistance. More current. More internal dissipation. Temperature goes up.

Sander Hoksbergen said:
Exoskull said:
Butterman said:
Exoskull said:

Hell won't break loose unless you hook up anything LESS than 16 ohms. I blew out the analog output on an MP3 Decoder IC that way. Max 30 Ohms. Hooked up 8 Ohms. IC is now an expensive heater :lol:

Less resistance. More current. More internal dissipation. Temperature goes up.

oh wow thanks i never new any of this

Defo said:
^ I'm not sure about the audio-in, but you could just buy a cheap headphone splitter, like this one.
Which, incidentally, will halve the impedance if you plug in two pairs of identical headphones. So if the OP plugs in two pairs of 32ohm headphones, the total impedance will become 16ohms. No probs. But if you plug in two pairs of 16ohm headphones, the impedance will be 8ohms. As Sander says, this can be dangerous territory.

Gruso said:
Defo said:
^ I'm not sure about the audio-in, but you could just buy a cheap headphone splitter, like this one.
Which, incidentally, will halve the impedance if you plug in two pairs of identical headphones. So if the OP plugs in two pairs of 32ohm headphones, the total impedance will become 16ohms. No probs. But if you plug in two pairs of 16ohm headphones, the impedance will be 8ohms. As Sander says, this can be dangerous territory.

True. I would also like to add that doubling the resistance will not decrease your volume. Internal circuitry should still map the same line-out voltage range (AC 1.5V) to the earphone. I'm not entirely sure but could decrease audio quality as the error becomes relatively higher at lower output current.

Back