Here Is What Will Be Happening.

DaveC said:
If you are planning to use it roughly by throwing it in a bag and letting it get scratched up the current cases may be ok for you.

That has me written all over it. Durable I care about. Finnish? Not quite so much. *Looks at my fx200 sitting in the top bit of my back back with electrical cords, pens, and anything else that I could jam in there...

If I purchase a second one, I'll want that to be fully refined. (Dreams of programming a networked game. Still working on the game based on my avatar, slowly, in between work, school, and other projects.)

Last edited by a moderator:
I would very much enjoy the uniqueness of an imperfect first batch model. Even if I have to wait for CNY I'd prefer an imperfect one (assuming the imperfections are cosmetic, which I admit is kind of a leap) for the character such imperfections would add to my pocket buddy. I am kind of rough on my electronics anyway so a perfect finish would soon be lost on mine.

But, I am nowhere near the front of the queue, so I doubt it's very likely I'll get one this month regardless of condition.

- trix

Yes, please. I would be happy to receive one of these first brave new machines, warts and all -- as Craigix said, as long as the controls work, it's all gravy for me.

However, when the cases are perfected, I would like the option to be able to buy a properly finished case -- say $20? $50? -- whatever's fair to cover costs.

And folks, I wouldn't take this as a sign of resignation from the Pandora team. It's an excellent way for the most enthusiastic (read: impatient) among us to get playing and happily spread the word about this. Call it the open beta, or the pre-launch launch; either way, it's not a bad way to generate buzz.

As echoed by those above me, it'd be nice to know if we can order a case by itself later once they are perfected. That would seal the deal, methinks :)

Zenbot said:
Yes, please. I would be happy to receive one of these first brave new machines, warts and all -- as Craigix said, as long as the controls work, it's all gravy for me.

However, when the cases are perfected, I would like the option to be able to buy a properly finished case -- say $20? $50? -- whatever's fair to cover costs.

And folks, I wouldn't take this as a sign of resignation from the Pandora team. It's an excellent way for the most enthusiastic (read: impatient) among us to get playing and happily spread the word about this. Call it the open beta, or the pre-launch launch; either way, it's not a bad way to generate buzz.
I wonder though would an imperfect pandora give a bad impression to potential buyers when they see them.
Would any reviews pick up on this too i wonder

Tbh, I don't mind more delays at all at this point. There's nothing worse then being dissapointed with your own creations, Especially if it took you alot of work to make. Fuck the consumer delay the cases and fix this shit up. It won't take too much longer. I doubt the Chinese will finish in time for Chinese New Year anyway.

HERE WE ARE
BORN TO BE KINGS
WE ARE THE PRINCES OF THE UNIVERSE!

Well, I preordered for a handheld device that had excellent gaming controls, and a full qwerty keyboard for classic computer emulation. I never had interest in the Pandora because of it's outer cosmetic apperance. I've actually got 3 seperate orders placed. My first is in the 250-350 range, and my other two are more in the 3000-4000 area. So, unless the functionallity of the controls and clamshell will be less than it should be, I really don't care if the finish isn't perfect. I can get perfection with my later orders, but I'm sure it might not even be a factor once I get an early unit!

When the team received the first test cases, I was suprised at how well they actually turned out. I never thought a community project would get that close to the renders. When it's all said and done, this is really a "homebrew" hobby console, and as such, perfection was never one of the reasons I wanted one. Now that doesn't mean I want a console where the hinge breaks after a few months, or the buttons start to stick, but I'm sure that is not the case! So I'll wait for the videos, and see how bad everything looks, but I would have been happy with the case 2 revisions where all the functional problems had been fixed!

Chris

Yes we will sell the 'final' cases and all case parts on the website once they are 100%.

I'm one of those people who throws things about a bit, my phone is all scratched etc. so I don't mind an imperfect case.

craigix said:
Yes we will sell the 'final' cases and all case parts on the website once they are 100%.

I'm one of those people who throws things about a bit, my phone is all scratched etc. so I don't mind an imperfect case.
Cool.If it all works fine,I dont mind about cosmetics.Looking forward to the video

craigix said:

Cool as long as its fine i dont mind about cosmetics.Looking forward to video

wrath of khan said:
Zenbot said:

I wonder though would an imperfect pandora give a bad impression to potential buyers when they see them.

Good point. But I would hope that since people have to explicitly volunteer to be one of The 500, and they would do so under full disclosure of the current cases' flaws, that any reviews published by this group would in fairness acknowledge that this is more like a "preview version," not unlike what reporters at tech / gaming sites routinely receive.

Of course, there's always bound to be some who are simply impatient and unwilling to accept neither more delays nor imperfect cases.

I believe the good word of mouth from thoughtful early adopters will outweigh the bad words caused by further delays. (Dammit.)

Hi Craig / others who might be in the know with regards to orders, after the bank troubles and refund I didn't reorder for quite a while so lost my place near the front of the queue (understandable), I'd really like to port one of my most played games to Pandora as close to launch as possible, the other person I'm working with (Sofox) is an early orderer, so he'll get his soonish, but it would help if we both had one to do development at the same time.
Therefore what would you think the chances are of getting in the top 500 orders of imperfect cases are? Because seriously, I'm not inlove with the Pandora for just its appearance (though it is nice), so I could easily settle for one of your 500 early versions.
What do you think the chances are that there will be less than 500 people willing to "settle" with this case (settle being a bad word) and myself possibly getting my hands on it a little earliar to develop for it?

Relevant links ahoy!
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/51720-port-my-game/

the recycled pellets thing that MWeston said really makes sense if you think about it because if they are only making a few that are really only samples then the factory may need to save money and use cheap parts. Then on the final final production use the good stuff and trim perfectly that would make sense from a certain point of view but the functionality part sounds great

IIRC, reading back quite a while ago...

These case imperfections - are in this (and the one before this) beta case... I thought I read somewhere OP stating the cases wouldn't have these minor imperfections (oil, tool/machine marks, etc.) in the final run - something about the way the manufacturing process is done (their best equipment isn't being used). So if they're sending out these test units they very well could be using recycled plastics or whatever - in the final run they could be a lot better then?

Since they could be using better equipment in the final run, I say go for it, if that's the case. And I'd be willing to accept a slightly imperfect case, if the case doesn't impede the components it contains.

Zenbot said:
wrath of khan said:
Zenbot said:

Good point. But I would hope that since people have to explicitly volunteer to be one of The 500, and they would do so under full disclosure of the current cases' flaws, that any reviews published by this group would in fairness acknowledge that this is more like a "preview version," not unlike what reporters at tech / gaming sites routinely receive.

Of course, there's always bound to be some who are simply impatient and unwilling to accept neither more delays nor imperfect cases.

I believe the good word of mouth from thoughtful early adopters will outweigh the bad words caused by further delays. (Dammit.)
Yes I for one plan to spread the word about the pandora.It would of course make sense to let people know that its an early version in terms of reviews etc.

At first I was on the edge of what to do here; Do I accept an imperfect case & be in the first of the first, or do I continue to wait & give up my place in the queue (150-250)? but I've come to the decision that I'm willing to accept an imperfect case since the 'perfect' ones will be sold later on & I'll probably be modding mine anyway. Besides, I figure most of my time will be spent looking at the screen, not the case, so what does it really matter. I'd love to be an early adopter & I already [kinda] feel like I'm getting something for nothing since the money is so far gone.

The time of the pandora has finally arrived. Bring it on I say! ;]

I know I'd kill for one (hope Mike's got enough parts I can score one of these to help wrap up the last devving before release!) so I"m sure lots of others are; tough call though .. if you order 500, and theres not 500, you get stuck with a stack of muddy-cases? Damn, tough spot to be in :(

... So close!

jeff

OMG, photos wont ever be enough to check up a poll like that

what about mechanical stress test? also do we get diferent warranty for those on the not 100% cases Vs 100% cases.

anyway my choice would be as long as it is only non mechanical or assembly flaws i would accept it even if it looked like recycled dough, and that it wouldnt void neither have to re-eject any future warranty options.

Back