Here Is What Will Be Happening.

The chinese company are either unable to get the cases how you want them or you paid the bill to early and they couldn't give a fuck.

The silent one said:
SONY, JUST WHO ON THIS EARTH DO YOU THINK YOU ARE?////////////If someone wants to start a poll, then that should be their choice. moddys and craig, thats all you yes dudes want to pay homage to , think about the poor customers who still hang on, thinking they will get a pandora, and the ones who gave up hoping they would ever get one, because their faith was destroyed by the almighty opppppppppppppppppppppppppp team. Im fine with my game axe, as I know the pandora will never see the light of day. look at all the stuff they have come up with in the last day, trying to keep mass canceling of orders from happening. 500 cases yeah right. like someone said when the people spoke that wanted, they should have done so, to go ahead and have their pandora wiht a 2nd revison case. but they didnt, because there were no cases to be had anyway. its a shame, that an idea that supposedly was touted as the real deal will fail because they always thought they could just run over the customers. it could have the beginning of a good thing, but it wont make it. I forsee mass canceling of orders, as people will finally get tired of being led around on aleash, as its obvious the parties involved have set them selves up on a throne, and dont think they have to account for anything , or to anyone. I will ahve to save up some moeny this year, to get at least and Ipad, because I know it will be out , when they say it well.
Well, I thought that a party sounded like a pretty good idea. But no, you couldn't have that, could you? You had to come down here and rain on my parade yet again. How dare you sir? How dare you? You can just stay here and whine about it, while everyone else gets festive and has a party that you're not invited to. Scumbag.

Last edited by a moderator:
antheus123 said:
The chinese company are either unable to get the cases how you want them or you paid the bill to early and they couldn't give a fuck.
I say it's the latter.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.c...h?v=neNuyzPe1Rw[/youtube]

Gah! I'm like #1800 in queue. But I waaant one of these first Pandoras. Craig raise the production of these not final cases too 2000

I just don't want Chinese New Year holding up me getting my Pandora (I'm probably not in the first 500).

If all we're talking about is something a little rough around the edges I'm happy to either fix that myself or buy a new case when they're better.

I'm sure that over 80% of all pre-orderers are perfectly fine with the imperfect case, over 90% even if you can buy the perfect one later on.

So 500 cases sound really like too few. Max it out as far as you can, be that 1000 or 3500!

Wolfsclaw said:
So 500 cases sound really like too few. Max it out as far as you can, be that 1000 or 3500!

He doesn't want to be stuck with a couple of hundred inferior cases. I am sure he will be able to sell 500 based on the reactions in this thread, but 1000 might indeed be a problem.
And we still haven't seen the cases.

I've waited since Sept' 08, I can wait another month or two for another pass of the cases. I trust Craig and MWeston's judgement and if they're not happy with the cases, I'm not.

But I do think the idea of getting 500 out of the door just to keep people who don't care happy - and also get them in the hands of more developers so when the rest of us get them there's even more fantastic and polished software - is fantastic. Fully support that. Hope it pans out. However, I will be opting out and waiting for the perfect case.

There is no question that the decision to make this an open, public project, with all details being shared as much as possible, was a difficult one. In hindsight, what a load of noise from a lot of people can do to a project is .. well .. disconcerting.

I'm respectful of the fact that a great deal of resources - money - is required to get gadgets like these off the ground. I've seen it from all angles for 2 decades now.

I'm 100% behind Craig and OpenPandora. Get it done, guys. Give the case greenlight, ship to us willing hangers-on, repeat and rinse to profit.

Order #17 in the queue, still hanging on tight to the day my devices arrive and I can get on with *DEVELOPMENT*.

Okay, this is now officially ridiculous. Someone has surely got to come to the conclusion that this mould company are simply not able to produce the cases to the required standard. Time to consider cutting losses and finding another mould company. I take it not all the money was handed over?

Remember, these cases are the ones everyone will see. Do you think all the websites will update their pictures six - twelve months down the line, when by some miracle this fly by night company finally produces cases that are up to spec? Do a google image search on the wiz. Most of the images still have the second dpad. When you release this first time, that is what the pandora will be in the eyes of the internet.

This company has royally screwed you over - a product that could have sold in the 10,000's will probably now only sell in the 1000's, because of the delays, publicity and perceived quality.

Count me in! I don't care about a few cosmetic imperfections... it is the first batch after all! I know if pains the dev team not to be able to ship the quality units like the big boys (sony), but that fact of the matter is that costs a lot of money. I seriously doubt the cosmetics of the case will hurt the OP brand after the first batch media blitz... if anything it can be termed as something that will be better for 2nd batch.

Yeah, just get the cases and get on with it. They will be very welcome received. A few dings here and there .. well, my Pandora is going to get lots of USE - its not an investment in anything other than pure fun.

Its going to be pure fun.

mugzy said:
I've waited since Sept' 08, I can wait another month or two for another pass of the cases. I trust Craig and MWeston's judgement and if they're not happy with the cases, I'm not.

But I do think the idea of getting 500 out of the door just to keep people who don't care happy - and also get them in the hands of more developers so when the rest of us get them there's even more fantastic and polished software - is fantastic. Fully support that. Hope it pans out. However, I will be opting out and waiting for the perfect case.

+1

I had started formulating a verbose and convoluted reply, but this post succinctly conveys my feelings. Cheers Mugzy ;)

For me, the pandy will be primarily a retro gaming device, and to that end it will be proudly "showed off" to fellow retrogamers in various places. Don't really wanna be displaying an unfinished, gash case with wonky bits :D

And I'm not DIY/hobbyist savvy in the slightest. If I attempted to swap the little device into a new "finished" case, I'd probably end up cleaving my arm off at the elbow.

But I do like GhostChaser's comments about collectability - these first 500 would certainly be "limited"! But then I'd have to buy a new "finished" model and leave the r@r3 version in it's display case :rolleyes:

sabregolly said:
Okay, this is now officially ridiculous. Someone has surely got to come to the conclusion that this mould company are simply not able to produce the cases to the required standard. Time to consider cutting losses and finding another mould company. I take it not all the money was handed over?

Remember, these cases are the ones everyone will see. Do you think all the websites will update their pictures six - twelve months down the line, when by some miracle this fly by night company finally produces cases that are up to spec? Do a google image search on the wiz. Most of the images still have the second dpad. When you release this first time, that is what the pandora will be in the eyes of the internet.

This company has royally screwed you over - a product that could have sold in the 10,000's will probably now only sell in the 1000's, because of the delays, publicity and perceived quality.
They have paid all the money, I think it was required since it was a "small" job.

Xenu said:
sabregolly said:

They have paid all the money, I think it was required since it was a "small" job.

Then that is indeed a shame. Hindsight is an amazing thing. Don't get me wrong - I ordered my pandora on the first day, and desperately want it too succeed. But this is just the sort of thing that will mean that its appeal will be more limited to us sort who visit here, and not to a wider community. The more people with a pandora, the more devs, the more fantastic stuff.

And all these delays, and then the 'final' product looking less than pretty will put many off.

Okay, as the case is similar to the first prototype case, I checked it.
A lot of the smaller issues can be seen, yes - but only if you take a closer look at it or on pictures.
I then took various other electronic goods into my hands and compared: The SmartQ5 has similar issues. If you take a closer look at where the upper case comes together with the bottom case, you can see some uneven plastic if you look closely. Even my GBA SP has some uneven plastic at the ports - I never did realize that before.

The MAIN optical problem with this first case in my opinion are the color differences in the plastic. Some parts are a bit brighter, which does it make look a bit smudgey.
As it could be they used recycled plastic for the test (not unusual if you do less then 100 cases as a test), it might be that this issue completely disappears with the mass production.

And as the case does work fine and we'll offer the good-looking replacements later, you should all be fine.
The cases won't break or so, I had my Pandora since a few days before christmas. It fell to the floor a few times and there are no issues with it :)

You can be sure we'll continue bugging the company (maybe even send somebody over to keep watching over them) until everything is perfect and you can all get replacement cases after that if you want.

Ok I'm almost certainly within the first 500, having ordered within 40 mins of pre-orders starting. I've been vocal enough with my views on the case situation before so I wont go there again.

If the rev3 case looks like the rev 2 case, as MWeson implies, add me too the "I'll take one!" list!

Bit late to the thread, but I thought I'd add my bit too.

I've been waiting (on the edge of my seat, I might add - bum's a bit sore now :( ) since the first day of preorders (God knows where I a in the queue, got my order in around 7PM on 30th Sept '08?) and I'll most likely be happy with one these proposed 500 cases-of-slightly-lower-finish-quality once I've had a look at them, but if I have to wait for a final case, I don't see the problem with that either. I fully support whatever decision the developers make about the matter, even if I get disappointed at more of a wait.

Since preordering I have prevented myself from buying any new handhelds or portable devices, making my last purchase of that sort being my Nokia N95-8GB in November 2007. Which is still the phone I use today, even if it has seen better days (can't charge the battery in the phone any more, I have to use a desktop charger, and the case is all scuffed up).

As much as I'd like a Pandora ASAP, I'd almost say I'd be happy to wait til the end of March, as I have assignments to do and my Dissertation to complete, and then I can fully enjoy exploring the Pandora, rather than having to tear myself away to do bloody uni work.

I don't post much, but I watch the forums a lot. You can probably see why I don't post much now, I don't half prattle on about utter shit - my apologies.

Back