How Much Do You Think I Could Sell My Eee Pc 900 For?

b1ueskycomp1ex

Open Sauce Fanatic & AMD Fanboy
Website
https
I have an older Asus EEE PC. It's the 900 series with the bigger screen than the 700 series.

It has the following specs:
  • 900Mhz Celeron M processor (overclockable to 1.1Ghz)
  • 1GB DDR2 (using memset you can throw the timings down as low as they will go, since the system bus and DDR2 run at 133Mhz)
  • 16GB SSD Drive (5MB/s write, 30MB/s read or something like that.)
  • 1.3MP Webcam (1280x1024)
  • Built-in Microphone
  • 1024x600 LCD panel with LED backlighting
  • Touchpad with 1, 2, or 3 finger click, 2 finger scrolling
  • 3USB 2.0 Ports
  • 1 SD/SDHC Card slot
  • Built-in 802.11G Wifi
  • Mic/Line in and headphone out ports (1/8" stereo)
  • 10/100 Ethernet
  • Still has around 2 hour battery life (this was tested with OCCT and a lot of free time.) and lasts even longer if you underclock it.
  • GMA950 Graphics
  • Absolutely no blemishes, lost/stuck pixels, or scratches on the screen
  • Very strong hinges

There are only a few issues with it:

• The mouse buttons don't work, but using the tapping features does (1 finger tap for left click, 2 for right, 3 for middle, 2-finger scrolling)
  • I had to repair the end of the power cord that plugs into the EEE PC. I didn't touch the connector, but re-connected the wires between the connector and the little strain-relief box, soldering it back together and wrapping it with black tape. I went a little crazy on the black tape.
  • It has the slower 16GB SSD drive. Windows XP is a little slow with accessing the SSD on it , but linux runs FANTASTIC.
  • The ASUS embedded metalic letters are gone (I had some stickers on the cover and removed them with goo gone, the metalic stick-on logo came with it.)
  • It has Lubuntu Linux installed on it. You CAN install windows XP, but I wouldn't recommend it. (and I don't have any windows XP licenses, so I can't install it to sell to someone.)

When I had windows XP installed on it for a little while I had success running:

720P Video at it's 1024x600 resolution using CCCP/Media player classic with 1 or 1.1Ghz overclocking
Project 64
pSX (The emulator, look it up.)
Glest (Even in linux with the slower GMA950 drivers)
Age of empires 1, 2, 3, and Age of mythology
Warhammer 20K - Dawn of War
GIMP 2 Image Editor
Youtube, Hulu, Megavideo, etc.
Using both the screen on the EEE PC and an external monitor at once
EEE PC to an external monitor
Xbox 360 Gamepads

and many other things.

Most major distributions of Linux work on it, and there's even a port of android for it.

Here are some pictures and videos of it in action:

Webcam in linux (sort of off-time, but that's probably a youtube capture issue.):
Here's a picture of the webcam running at 1280x1024 in cheese for linux:
sspx1393.jpg

and here's just a general shot:
sspx1388.jpg

Here's a video of it playing a video that should be familiar to some people on the general boards:

And here's frozen bubble (sideways.)

So just wondering, what do you guys think I could get (USD) for it?

More pictures are available Here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sadly, my opinion, is that it's broken, and as such anyone buying it would only get it for spare parts, or having the mouse buttons as spares already, and intend to fix it up. So in my world, you wouldn't get a whole lot. Around where i live you can get one for about $200, new, with Linux. You couldn't give it away to most my friends, altho i could probably fina a couple of bucks to help you part with it. (No, I'm not offering to buy it, just saying for the sake of argument.)
B!

Mr B said:
Sadly, my opinion, is that it's broken, and as such anyone buying it would only get it for spare parts, or having the mouse buttons as spares already, and intend to fix it up. So in my world, you wouldn't get a whole lot. Around where i live you can get one for about $200, new, with Linux. You couldn't give it away to most my friends, altho i could probably fina a couple of bucks to help you part with it. (No, I'm not offering to buy it, just saying for the sake of argument.)
B!

I don't know about that. I mean functionally the ONLY thing that's wrong with it is the broken mouse buttons. It's never even been taken apart or anything.

I had one of these, and had the same problem with the power cord and mouse buttons. You're lucky the SSD still works. Mine failed, and yours probably will soon if you've used it a lot.

Neko said:
I had one of these, and had the same problem with the power cord and mouse buttons. You're lucky the SSD still works. Mine failed, and yours probably will soon if you've used it a lot.
Well I got this from someone that used it for a little while. They had gotten windows XP on it which was bluescreening at startup probably due to spyware or some drivers they installed. Not sure what happened to the mouse buttons. They could probably be fixed if I took the thing apart, but they don't bother me and were too clicky for my liking anyway. Also, I REALLY fixed the power cord. The thing barely moves anymore due to the black tape. It's nice and sturdy. ;P Really it's windows using the SSD as virtual memory that could cause the drive to fail (with a sh*t ton of use) Too many Read/Write operations with the swap happen for no real reason in windows even with the 1GB of ram - That's why I like linux.

Anyway, they wanted me to fix it along with another laptop they were paying me to fix. I offered them free tech support and computer service for life in exchange for the EEE PC 900. So they gave it to me (after I fixed the laptop, of course.) Trust me, they cash in on the free tech support for life every other week. It's really turned out to be a better deal for them. If I could get maybe $100 for this thing it would be great. I think it's definitely worth that much considering it's more or less a full-featured laptop. It's also still the smallest netbook they make (to my knowledge) with an x86 processor.

The SSD failed after about a year, and I was running Linux. Asus probably used cheap flash chips, and it wasn't swap that killed it. Firefox is pretty hard on SSDs too. Even if you turn off the cache, it still writes a bunch of stuff.

Whoever buys this should budget $80 to replace the SSD, and $20 to replace the power supply.

Neko said:
The SSD failed after about a year, and I was running Linux. Asus probably used cheap flash chips, and it wasn't swap that killed it. Firefox is pretty hard on SSDs too. Even if you turn off the cache, it still writes a bunch of stuff.

Whoever buys this should budget $80 to replace the SSD, and $20 to replace the power supply.

Good thing I'm using Chromium ;)

Also, there's nothing wrong with the power supply aside from maybe too much black tape.

Back