Humble Indie Bundle Returns!

Jourdy288

http://dealspl.us/t/7ehhY2
Discuss.
I'm quite excited about the money going to charity!
Also, I have no Paypal account. I hate to sound beggy, but would anybody gift me this wonderful bundle? I already am giving money to charity (truly I am!) and if you split your money in two, you can buy it once for yourself and once for me. It won't cost you more than you meant to pay!
Anybody looking forward to anything in particular?

are they going to release the source if they get to a certain dollar amount?

I donated last year because someone from this site mentioned that if they got to a certain dollar amount the source would be released and they would port gish.... I have yet to see that port.

...well for the pandora anyway

jb0yx said:
are they going to release the source if they get to a certain dollar amount?

I donated last year because someone from this site mentioned that if they got to a certain dollar amount the source would be released and they would port gish.... I have yet to see that port.

...well for the pandora anyway

I don't think it was planned from the stat that they would release the source last time.
But yeah, it would be nice, but I have not read anything like this for the new bundle.

Also just having the source does not make a port an easy job, I can imagine those games are very likely to be very messy and hacked ;)
Gish or Braid for the Pandora would be great, though :eek:

foxblock out

Last edited by a moderator:
Soo is anybody here buying it? Again, hate to sound like a beggar, but if you'll split your money for me I'll be grateful. Immensely grateful ;)

foxblock said:
Also just having the source does not make a port an easy job, I can imagine those games are very likely to be very messy and hacked ;)
Gish or Braid for the Pandora would be great, though :eek:

foxblock out

I can respect that, but I also have gish on my phone... I'm playing it right now... or was anyway.

I'm not saying anyone owes me anything for donating, but there's nothing for any other open source handheld either (wiz/caanoo/gp32x) not just the pandora. It's unfortunate that mainsteam closed devices see open source software before their open source hardware counterparts do.

there's a point at which a benefit quits being a benefit when there is nothing to actually gain from it.

I'll hold out until the end or until they announce that at least one of the games will go open source if a dollar amount is reached. I want to be one of the many that floods them with donations on the promise of open sourcing a game but if it gets to the wire and they don't announce it then I'll buy them anyway. Last time I gave a lot(for me) to help it reach it's goal and I'll probably do the same thing this time if something will go open source.

Oh, this is happening again? Awesome! :) I bought it last time around; I'll probably buy it this time around too.

Btw, they recently released steam versions of the games in the first bundle and emailed an activation code to people who bought it, so if you bought it but are using a different email or something, you should go check that out. (assuming you use steam)

jb0yx said:
I can respect that, but I also have gish on my phone... I'm playing it right now... or was anyway.

I'm not saying anyone owes me anything for donating, but there's nothing for any other open source handheld either (wiz/caanoo/gp32x) not just the pandora. It's unfortunate that mainsteam closed devices see open source software before their open source hardware counterparts do.

there's a point at which a benefit quits being a benefit when there is nothing to actually gain from it.

Oh did not know it was already ported to a mobile device.
Well I have not bought the last bundle as I already owned most of the games, therefore I also did not look into the code, but when I receive my Pandora I might do that.
Gish on the Pandora would be great, especially as I never completed it.

foxblock out

Jourdy288 if you still haven't found someone by the time I get it I'll give a little extra so I can justify passing along my passkey or whatever to you. I'm holding out until they announce open sourcing a few games like I said before so it might be a while.

^You could make a second purchase and gift it to Jourdy so he has his own code and no piracy is committed. I was thinking about doing it. It would lower the increase of average Linux contribution, but it would mean two Linux users instead of one.

I'm also hoping they release the source code. It would be nice if you could split up the amount by application. I would give more to the developers who agreed to open their source. Or at least Wolfire. They have a good philosophy as far as that goes. They say there's a surprise soon to be unveiled. I can only hope.

I'm thinking I'm going to buy it. They have statistics split up by OS. Does that mean you only get access to one version? Is that just to gauge users by primary OS?

Jourdy288 said:
Also, I have no Paypal account. I hate to sound beggy, but would anybody gift me this wonderful bundle? I already am giving money to charity (truly I am!) and if you split your money in two, you can buy it once for yourself and once for me. It won't cost you more than you meant to pay!

They also take Google Checkout and Amazon Payments.

GunPei2X said:
Jourdy288 said:

They also take Google Checkout and Amazon Payments.

Yeah, depending on where you live, you could just pop by walmart or walgreens and pick up a visa/american express gift card and then use that to buy it through google checkout.

Gerix said:
^You could make a second purchase and gift it to Jourdy so he has his own code and no piracy is committed. I was thinking about doing it. It would lower the increase of average Linux contribution, but it would mean two Linux users instead of one.

I'm also hoping they release the source code. It would be nice if you could split up the amount by application. I would give more to the developers who agreed to open their source. Or at least Wolfire. They have a good philosophy as far as that goes. They say there's a surprise soon to be unveiled. I can only hope.

I'm thinking I'm going to buy it. They have statistics split up by OS. Does that mean you only get access to one version? Is that just to gauge users by primary OS?
They acknowledged that some people were giving more and downloading multiple copies rather than donating more than once and they were ok with it but I guess I could divide my donation in two and get two bundles.

Two of the games are not done yet so I don't think they'll release their code which sucks but they seem to be first releases for these studios so I don't blame them. The sad thing is those two games I would want the source released, Cortex Command and Revenge of the Titans, the other three don't look like games I'd enjoy. They already run on every computer platform so the only reason I'd want the source released would be to get them on the Pandora. I just hope that when development stops on them they're made open source but that goes for every game I like.

The creator of Cortex Command is on TIGRadio at the moment talking about how little he cares about his community.

Gerix said:
The creator of Cortex Command is on TIGRadio at the moment talking about how little he cares about his community.
Community meaning the studio that is developing Cortex Command or community like where he lives? Or maybe the community as in the indi community?

second exodous said:
Jourdy288 if you still haven't found someone by the time I get it I'll give a little extra so I can justify passing along my passkey or whatever to you. I'm holding out until they announce open sourcing a few games like I said before so it might be a while.
Oh, thank you, somebody gifted me one :)

second exodous said:
Community meaning the studio that is developing Cortex Command or community like where he lives? Or maybe the community as in the indi community?
I haven't heard any direct quotes, but from what I can gather from the foaming wrath of those that feel slighted, he had the gall to treat his customers as an income source. Basically he got into indie development for the money, not because he wanted to create games for "the community", if I understand correctly, and that has got a lot of people in a tizzy. It didn't help that (I think) he took preorders a couple of years ago for his alpha or beta similar to how Notch did, except he's taken a lot longer to get it to a more finished state than Minecraft.
I get the feeling there's something else going on, but there's too much bile being spewn for me to figure out what it is.

Yeah, toward the end of the interview, one guy was getting pretty angry about what he said. Anyway, on the humble page, it mentions CC is under "active development." The creator basically said that active development means "I haven't given up on it yet." He mentioned something about taking a year off at a time and stuff like that. One of the listeners recorded it and plans on posting it on their forums, so you can hear it yourself if you're interested. But I visited the CC site later and saw a notice that the price is discounted due to the fact that the game isn't finished, which sounds reasonable. It's not like they paid full price for a product and waited two years or anything like that :p I guess I shouldn't complain either. If the developers split the money evenly, I only gave him about $3. But the game is actually pretty fun for what's there. Anyway, just a head's up.

Edit: It looks like the deadline for the bundle has been extended.

Ah, that sucks that CC doesn't look like it will ever be done. As far as only giving him $3 would you have bought it before? I think with 162,415 purchases so far this might be a good week for him.

Where is this interview you keep talking about, I went to TIGRadio and couldn't find it. Also for some reason the one I thought it might be, #29, crapped out on me half way threw. Why aren't these available for downloads like other Internet radio feeds?

Anyway could you link it?

second exodous said:
They seem to be first releases for these studios so I don't blame them.
I'm not entirely sure if this is one of the studios you're talking about, but Puppy Games has been around for ages, and not only do they have three other games for purchase but they're all available now in a discounted pack for less that seven bucks! They also happen to be retrotastic. :D

Back