I Found An Error In The Keyboard Default Configuration

asimov-solensan

Very Active Member
Hello to the forum,

First os all I didn't know where this thread should be, that's something develepoers should take a look.

The thing: the accents ar not well configured, for those who don't know what I'm talkina about those are the symbols in the keys H and J, they are written in top of vowels to remark in some words where is the tonic syllabe, like this "á" "í" "ò" etc ... It's used in languages like spanish and french.

The problem with the actual configuration is that when you write those symbols they are printed directly, like this "`". In a french/spanish keyboard when you push those keys nothing is written, the keyboard then waits for a second input, if it's a vowel the accent will be written in the top of the vowel, if it's a consonant or space it will write the accent "hanging" in the air and then the consonant (or write anything, that depends on the OS and the desktop).

I will apologize if I'm the one wrong and the actual configuration was intended and the accents written "separately" are common in some language, I suggest my system because then accents can be used independently or with the vowels.

P.S.
Ok, I found another one, that's the symbol written in the "6" key, this one "^". This is the circumflex accent and it's used in french (I don't know if others use it), the problem is the same, when you press it, the keyboard should wait for the user to input a vowel.

asimov-solensan said:
Hello to the forum,

First os all I didn't know where this thread should be, that's something develepoers should take a look.

The thing: the accents ar not well configured, for those who don't know what I'm talkina about those are the symbols in the keys H and J, they are written in top of vowels to remark in some words where is the tonic syllabe, like this "á" "í" "ò" etc ... It's used in languages like spanish and french.

The problem with the actual configuration is that when you write those symbols they are printed directly, like this "`". In a french/spanish keyboard when you push those keys nothing is written, the keyboard then waits for a second input, if it's a vowel the accent will be written in the top of the vowel, if it's a consonant or space it will write the accent "hanging" in the air and then the consonant (or write anything, that depends on the OS and the desktop).

I will apologize if I'm the one wrong and the actual configuration was intended and the accents written "separately" are common in some language, I suggest my system because then accents can be used independently or with the vowels.

P.S.
Ok, I found another one, that's the symbol written in the "6" key, this one "^". This is the circumflex accent and it's used in french (I don't know if others use it), the problem is the same, when you press it, the keyboard should wait for the user to input a vowel.

I am just taking a guess here but I think that is due to the nature of linux. You will have to change your language settings so that a different code page is used (is it called that? it was in DOS times). The standard setting is probably an English code page for the uk.

Last edited by a moderator:
xnopasaranx said:
You will have to change your language settings so that a different code page is used (is it called that? it was in DOS times).
Codepages are character encodings, they are just one of the most evil things that left Microsoft's developer studios. Linux uses UTF-8 by default, which includes every single char you could imagine, so this crap is not needed and there are no problems with files encoded in different code pages. Live would be much easier if Windows switched to UTF-8 in the past, but they don't even want to poke it with a long pole...

It is the flavor of the keyboard layout that matters, it sounds like the Pandora is using a nodeadkeys layout by default. But AFAIK it is configured to have a compose key for typing such characters, isn't it? You simply press the key that is defined as the compose key (I don't know what it is on the Pandora) and then the 2 keys that should be combined, like ´ and a for á or " and o for ö.

Letalis Sonus said:
But AFAIK it is configured to have a compose key for typing such characters, isn't it? You simply press the key that is defined as the compose key (I don't know what it is on the Pandora) and then the 2 keys that should be combined, like ´ and a for á or " and o for ö.
This was originally the case: L was supposed to be compose and R was going to be AltGr key. And then they were changed to be alternate shift and ctrl keys. I don't know how, having never had to deal with foreign keyboards like this, but it should be possible to set them back that way.

Compose key = shift + enter.

e.g.
À = ( shift + enter ) + ` + ( shift + a )
ü = ( shift + enter ) + " + u

At least it was that way the last time I had the pandora in my hands.

oh hey, yup, that does it. It's a little tricky as you need to fn-key to get the accents, but otherwise it works the same as a regular keyboard with a compose key.

As joseluisjazz has said, all the characters can be written with the compose key (shift + enter). Therefor I don't know if it's worth or it can be changed to the "standard" method.

Anyway thanks everybody for the suggestions.

Compose key is the internationally accepted "standard" way of doing it. If you have a different way of doing it, it would be considered local. If getting it to perform in a familiar way is desirable to you, then yes it is worth it, and relatively easy, to change it to match your method. It involves working with xmodmap to change key bindings, but it can be done. Someone more experienced with such changes will need to tell you how to go about doing so, or you can google for it and learn how to do it on your own; it's very rewarding experience to learn new things.

WizardStan said:
Compose key is the internationally accepted "standard" way of doing it. If you have a different way of doing it, it would be considered local.

From my experience with polish, german, french and UK keyboards I would say there's no such thing like "internationally accepted standard" ;)
But arguing which method is more standard than the others is not my intention here. My question is: Are the compose combination used on Pandora some kind of standard (i.e. for XOrg) that I can google for or something set up in a configuration file I can read? While some diacritics are quite obvious (e.g. ó) I spent some time figuring how to type ą on pandora (note that "ogonek" ˛ is something different than "cedilla" ¸ ) What's more I still have no clue how to type german "scharfes s" ß.

Morn said:
Are the compose combination used on Pandora some kind of standard (i.e. for XOrg) that I can google for or something set up in a configuration file I can read?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compose_key

Morn said:
What's more I still have no clue how to type german "scharfes s" ß.
Shift+enter, s, s

WizardStan said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compose_key

I read through some webpages which led me to /usr/share/X11/locales I gues now I't only matter of finding which locale dir is currently in use.

WizardStan said:
Morn said:
What's more I still have no clue how to type german "scharfes s" ß.
Shift+enter, s, s
Hehe, sometimes the simplest solution is the hardest to find.

Back