I Got It!

Woo! I got mine today! A brief photo essay follows.

Picked up my package at the UPS depot. (By the way, driving to a UPS depot at four minutes after nine in the morning is an interesting experience.)
IMG_0663.jpg

Who is "Matthew Lundell"? I've never heard of the guy. If anyone knows him, let him know that I have his Pandora and I'm not giving it back!

It is, however, nice to know that the code is harmonized.

IMG_0666.jpg

Get it? It's a "Box" with a "Pandora" in it!!!! Get it? Get it?

IMG_0670z.jpg

Oh, hey! It is my Pandora after all. Why were they trying to send my Pandora to that Matthew character?

IMG_0675.jpg

Clockwise : Pandora charger, Pandora Instruction Manual, Pandora, ...empty pandora battery holder?

The manual is nice, by the way. It's about as substantial as a DS manual, but it's nicely made.

IMG_0676.jpg

LOOK AT ME! I HAVE A PANDORA IN MY HANDS! RIGHT HERE IN MY HANDS! MY HANDS!

Build quality is pretty nice. Not iPhone quality, or perhaps not even NDS quality, but nicer than I expected, certainly nicer than I need.

Game buttons feel a little ... scrape-y but that'll probably wear off. Keyboard feels fine, and I can't evaluate the nubs until I get this thing on and running.

IMG_0678.jpg

Ok, Minor apology to LinuxFTW, this is actually kind of awkward.

VRAndy said:
So awkward I had it together wrong. Should be 90 degrees from how I had it pictured.

Last edited by a moderator:
VRAndy said:
VRAndy said:
So awkward I had it together wrong. Should be 90 degrees from how I had it pictured.
*pause*
That is not the charger Craig described previously. I'm sure it works great, but I was seriously expecting an international brick with a figure 8 cable.

Um, yeah - that's not what I had in mind *at all*. I'm about to go scraping the boards to find out why I'm so deluded.

(perhaps with all the talk that one could use a "PSP power supply" I should have taken a moment to find out what one looked like)

Well, I found what I was thinking of. It's from when Craig pulled one apart to see what was inside. I guess I saw it as "the box that still has the figure-8 cable yet to be plugged in" rather than a wall-wart (as they're lovingly known). I'm still having a hard time visualising this as a wall-wart, actually...

[click for full-size]
th_54649496.jpg

Actually, the more I look at the pictures, the more I'm confused. These aren't the same things (as WizardStan mentions).

Huh?

He did say he had two different types. When he was showing off the one with the figure 8 cable, I just kind of figured the other was similar but obviously different. Not so completely different as this.
Like I say, I imagine it works great, I often said "if all else fails, just use an adapter from the dollar store", but I never actually expected it to be true :p

Okie dokie.

So VRAndy's in the USA. x68000's in the UK. x68000 got one of these:
th_w7bk9w.jpg

I can only hope Australia is counted as the UK in this regard.

Curious (not whiningly so, though) why if they're sending an adaptor anyway, why they'd send a different power supply out as well.

I hereby scratch my head.

WizardStan said:
He did say he had two different types. When he was showing off the one with the figure 8 cable, I just kind of figured the other was similar but obviously different. Not so completely different as this.
Like I say, I imagine it works great, I often said "if all else fails, just use an adapter from the dollar store", but I never actually expected it to be true :p

I hope I get the figure 8 one. ^_^ I much prefer those types.

-God Ginrai

mali said:
Thanks a lot for your first impressions :)

You are quite welcome. I'm really happy with the Pandora. It's very exciting to be at this level with it because every day is something new and yet a way to reflect on times past or get shit done on something nobody will talk smack on because its so bad ass.

My next challenge is going to be getting the iphone 2G tether to work for wi-fi.

Peace, Pot, Pandora,

Link

I love the vid and music ...But i am not sure i would of used a jet flamed lighter to open it .....lol...

Knowing myself if it was me it would of gone up in flames and i have waited so long for this baby ...Gotta rate the guy...he has balls :)

It would have been cooler in the dark, but after 602 days of waiting, well, birth by fire.

Perhaps enlightenment by fire ;)

Link

WizardStan said:
VRAndy said:
VRAndy said:
*pause*
That is not the charger Craig described previously. I'm sure it works great, but I was seriously expecting an international brick with a figure 8 cable.

What Stan said.

So, for those who have the power-supply, you didn't get one where the wall-to-supply cable is detachable with a figure 8 plug? We were definitely told by Craig that that type was what was chosen. I can go find the posts, but I am 100% sure we were told the cable was a detachable type 8, and it was implied we'd get a north american cable-plug (for those of us in NA).

Edit: Lol, I capitalized 8 into * :p

Back in the day we were told we could use a usb lead or get a PSP power supply. It was a pleasant surprise when Craig announced they were including PSUs. If it works that's all that matters to me. I will probably charge my Pandora from usb most of the time anyway.

BackAssward said:
So, for those who have the power-supply, you didn't get one where the wall-to-supply cable is detachable with a figure * plug? We were definitely told by Craig that that type was what was chosen. I can go find the posts, but I am 100% sure we were told the cable was a detachable type 8, and it was implied we'd get a north american cable-plug (for those of us in NA).
X68000 got what you described.

Line O said:
BackAssward said:
So, for those who have the power-supply, you didn't get one where the wall-to-supply cable is detachable with a figure * plug? We were definitely told by Craig that that type was what was chosen. I can go find the posts, but I am 100% sure we were told the cable was a detachable type 8, and it was implied we'd get a north american cable-plug (for those of us in NA).
X68000 got what you described.
Well, I am sure he got a UK style plug-cable not an NA one. It's good to know it is detachable as expected, but the second part of the question is if NA customers got an NA plug. Some pics show a plug adapter, but I haven't seen the actual cable that NA customers received.

I'm in the U.K. and got the same 'wall wart' type adaptor as VRAndy did, so they must just have a pile of both types. I really don't mind what the charger is like though, and I'm very happy with the Pandora so far!

apxNow said:
I'm in the U.K. and got the same 'wall wart' type adaptor as VRAndy did, so they must just have a pile of both types. I really don't mind what the charger is like though, and I'm very happy with the Pandora so far!
Well that's just odd then. :)

I sure hope they run out of wall-warts by the time they get to me (ie right near the very end).

[edit] astewardson got a wall-wart too (watching his videos again now), and he's in the UK. It occurs to me that x68000 picked his up in person. Perhaps he got a choice at the time? Just trying to sort it out in my head. :)

It looks like they're all shipping with the same wall wart and an adapter to plug it into the outlets found in the destination countries (x68000's was of course not shipped, so he probably just got was handy at the time). My only gripe with it is that the cable is a little on the short side.

We have two types of adapter. Both are 'real' PSUs (ie not cheap fake ones, both have CE) which you get usually depends on where you are.

Interestingly the USA one is slightly better quality than the UK (powerpax) one for keeping a stable supply even when the Pandora is demanding max power, but they both work great overall. The Powerpax one has the advantage of the figure 8.

I'd just like to say once more - DO NOT use fake PSP power supplies with the Pandora. Either use your Pandora one or a real PSP one.

Back