I Have A Idea. Why Dont Release A Pandora Slim Edition In Future

What do you think?

• Yes, it's a good idea.

Votes: 15 17.9%
  • No, I don't like the idea.

Votes: 69 82.1%

• Total voters

For me this design is perfect. The size, the weight... I'd even had made the battery a little bigger! The only thing that could be greatly improved is the hinge. I read the story behind the choice of the hinge, and I understand they had't a choice. But it would be fabulous if the hinge would 'click' at ±120º besides from actual 180º, to use it sitting in a table, and the hinge be harder to move, like a laptop's hinge. Maybe for Pandora 2 they can design their own, as they did with the nubs.

That, and an accelerometer. I'll try to install a tiny one of those when warranty is over. Or maybe build up an external peripheral that sends data over the EXT rss232 port, tying it to a usb web-cam and using it to some sort "augmented reality" things. Paired with the capability of receiving GPS data from bluetooth. Since we'll probably be able to boot android, it will be nice to have access to its more advanced goodies... :)

EDIT: They keyboard layout could also be improved. Instead of imitating a normal qwerty keyboard it could be improved for thumb typing, having mod keys & space & enter in the middle for example. But it's not bad how it is ight now... Oh! and you I needed to cut your fingernails to be able to use it well, or some keys would resist to detect the press. :p

I definitely wouldn't have bought it if it didn't have a keyboard. While it would still be easier to enter text with the touchscreen that the older consoles were, it just isn't really the same. I can't personally speak for everybody else, but I don't think that it would've sold as well as it did without one.

still some people said they like the idea in the topic but the poll dont tell that way. 27 NO VS 4 yes . i think we can forget this idea LOL

I will still buy it, in his original form when some more unit will be available and if i have the money in that time. i hope the pandora can get so popular that it will be available at gamersection.ca, a handheld shop that sell all gamepark console since a few years. i bought my wiz there.

I would happily add 0.1cm bulk in all directions if the damn thing would be delivered next week.

renejr902 said:
still some people said they like the idea in the topic but the poll dont tell that way. 27 NO VS 4 yes . i think we can forget this idea LOL
I didn't vote, tbh. A more fitting choice for me would be "yes I think it's a good idea if..." Too many variables for me to vote Yes or No. As I'd mentioned in one of my previous posts, I would love to see a slim version, but it couldn't take away any features, especially the keyboard, if I were to consider buying it.

PSP Go took away features and added some, but the ones they added were trivial when compared to what they removed. Plus: smaller, internal memory, bluetooth. Minus: smaller screen, worse buttons, lack of UMD drive, smaller Memory Stick required...

I liked the idea of PSP Go. I hated the execution.

Last edited by a moderator:
-Tj- said:
renejr902 said:
I didn't vote, tbh. A more fitting choice for me would be "yes I think it's a good idea if..." Too many variables for me to vote Yes or No. As I'd mentioned in one of my previous posts, I would love to see a slim version, but it couldn't take away any features, especially the keyboard, if I were to consider buying it.

PSP Go took away features and added some, but the ones they added were trivial when compared to what they removed. Plus: smaller, internal memory, bluetooth. Minus: smaller screen, worse buttons, lack of UMD drive, smaller Memory Stick required...

I liked the idea of PSP Go. I hated the execution.
OTOH, I'm sure there's a way of marketing it that would still be pretty awesome. Basically remove the keyboard and market it more as a console that you can take with you. Sort of like that mod that Ben Heck did a few years back. Well, one of the ones he does from time to time where he turns a console into a laptop. I guess the most recent is where he created a PS3 laptop.

I'm just not sure that there'd be enough interest to make it a worthwhile offering. I doubt that I'd buy it, but perhaps some people would.

A future SOC clocked down to Pandora spec, and some better future battery technology might mean a slimmer Pandora could be made. But... at that point, you'll want to be running your DC emulator (or whatever) with decent battery life.

Quite happy with the Pandora in its current form. For me the UMPC was the killer part of its design. Like the clamshell and keyboard.

The Pandora is the 5th Element - Perfect!

Why don't Sony make a PS3 that is the size of the Pandora slim, with a mobile phone built in and a slot in the back for making grilled cheese sandwiches? I am a genius! My idea is great! Please pre order now...

Steve

Zotty said:
"slim edition" immediately makes me think of Sony junk and that's the last thing I want to do when holding my Pandora...

I totally agree, and i dont want to see any features cut, including solder points and other things, i vote no

compaq1.jpg

I really wish people would stop bringing up "Get a smart phone its better than Pandora and faster posts". If we wanted a smart phone than we would not be on these forums for the most part, Smart phones basically requires a 2 year contract, only have keyboards or in the case of some only a touch screen and very few buttons. Has anyone here tried to use virtual analog sticks on a touch screen? It is horrible, we want a Pandora for the controls, the software and the idea behind it.

eeekubuntu said:
renejr902 - Briliant idea!! I guess your the one going to do the work.

yeah for sure.

im taking preorder at 1000$ each. send money to my paypal email. Pm me i will tell you my paypal adress.

The First shipment is scheduled for March 2017 . Be fast first shipment only have 20 handheld.

NExt shipment in 2020

Need a lot of time to make it and i have buy some tools at RadioShack :)

Note: i will take the first 1000$ to buy a Pandora Mk1 on ebay, maybe 1000$ is enough to won a aunction

The slim version of the Pandora is called the iPad Nano. When the iControlpad comes out, you then have the Pandora Slim.

Yeah, bad idea, removing those things would bring very little differentiation between the Pandora and any other devices out today. As for current devices, the Pandora loses out on specs, so the only things it has going for it are the things you want to remove, so the time spent making a pandora slim, which would only be out be the time the hardware is really outdated, could be spent working on a newer device which won't be outdated by the time it comes out. I know the rehashing 5+ year old hardware thing works for consoles, but the Pandora just isn't like that, it fits the place more of a laptop, where being 5 years old would mean you're FAR behind and nobody would be interested, even if the design of the device is as unique as it is.

EDIT: Also, who do you think is working on the iControlPad? :p I think the guy might be a bit too busy at the moment.

SO you want to make a Zeebo am I right?

For that you need to create a brand new market/compete against the Wii (if cheap in that region).
Just don't see it viable. Perhaps if it had more grunt and a larger base for games (and emulators) it could be profitable.
What I mean by that is for instance like the Atom could provide games & media when combined with a capable GPU.
Don't know the costs, but sounds like a hard thing to pull off considering the available competition.

Back