I think Craig has a plan

Well, I would rather keep my trusty cc unit... We've been through a lot together - fighting with each other sometimes, but mostly a deepening fondness filled with unfolding joys and new discoveries.

She's had a nub and lcd cable replaced, and has a number of nicks and scratches that I am familiar with and make her unique and personal.

She herself may not be technically alive, but she has become a part of mine and in a sense is an extension of me.

It would be a tragedy if I disowned her - banishing her from my life for something as petty as a few coins.

No. She stays with me...

If I am to welcome a 1Ghz unit into my life and heart it won't be by selling her out.

I got this e-mail in spite of the fact that I'd already paid the upgrade fee for CC -> 1GHz for a pre-order queue. Paid the money, sent the unit, received acknowledgement and then, 6 months later, this. I would have sent a reply saying, 'thanks, but I already did this ages ago', but it was a 'noreply' address.

I wonder, if I asked for a refund would I get a CC unit, the upgrade price, or the price of a full 1GHz?  I guess I'll just have to stick around and wait, though I wonder how Craig's making money without an option for his shop on the website.

Has anyone replied this mail? If so what did you get in reply? A paypal account or a link to dragonbox.de/ithic.com and a thank you?

ED, did you know about this offer? The mail was signed by 'Craig & the OP Team' so it's you too.

ED or anyone with board super-power: Could you please put a banner on top of boards.openpandora.org letting at least forum members know about how to upgrade through ithic or dragonbox?
Not too sure?

I wonder what is the goal... this operation alone does not bring cashflows, nor does it pay for older preorder... it only bring back some old units selling some new units at production cost... the real question is what does he want to do with the old units... I just hope he meant to sell refurbished units for less and not send old preorder some old refurbished units...

In the past he's always sold refurbished units *as* refurbished units to new customers (usually on ebay IIRC) so there's no reason to think that he would do any differently now. 

That being said I believe he sent all his Pandora parts to ED,  so I don't think he'd be able to refurbish any on his own anyway.

- Neelix

Does anyone know what this actually entails?  I cracked my screen recently, but it says they'll take back ones with damaged screens (mine still boots as specified in the email).  If I send in mine with the cracked screen, do I get a brand new 1ghz unit back?  Or is he planning to swap out the board on my unit and send it back with my original screen?

Has anyone replied this mail? If so what did you get in reply? A paypal account or a link to dragonbox.de/ithic.com and a thank you?

ED, did you know about this offer? The mail was signed by 'Craig & the OP Team' so it's you too.

ED or anyone with board super-power: Could you please put a banner on top of boards.openpandora.org letting at least forum members know about how to upgrade through ithic or dragonbox?
Not too sure?
No, I'm not sure if ED knew about older titles like "GHz Units how to get one", "GHz boards Fancy one" or "UK ordering available".

Can you SONY (or ED or mods), please make it clear to forum readers that the only (safe) way to upgrade a preorder (or an existing Pandora) is to do it through ED or Link's shop. ED and Link can do repairs & upgrades the same time.

I don't think the Pandora project needs another waiting list. Statistics: Craig's offers were fulfilled in 50% of the cases.

Yeah, got the email also.

Rolling on the floor laughing my arse off, as the saying goes.

1. The 1GHz unit looks like shit in shitty low-quality silver plastic.

2. The 1GHz unit is less compatible than the rebirth or CC units.

3. There is no way on earth anyone with any sense would give any money to Craig.

I mean, just why would you?

D.

I got the email twice! My reply was to be removed from his mailing list - because I've recently upgraded mine to a rebirth, with the new silver case.

Despite the colour, does actually feel more sturdy than the black case. I guess you can't have everything ;)

I've got two CC units .. I'm going to send one of them back for an upgrade.  This is a great offer guys, I like it!

Does someone want to buy a Pandora with a broken L button and LCD cable in order to send it in and upgrade to a fully functional 1Ghz?
why don't you send it in yourself?

Then, if you don't want it, sell the fully functional unit?

Well, I would rather keep my trusty cc unit... We've been through a lot together - fighting with each other sometimes, but mostly a deepening fondness filled with unfolding joys and new discoveries.

She's had a nub and lcd cable replaced, and has a number of nicks and scratches that I am familiar with and make her unique and personal.

She herself may not be technically alive, but she has become a part of mine and in a sense is an extension of me.

It would be a tragedy if I disowned her - banishing her from my life for something as petty as a few coins.

No. She stays with me...

If I am to welcome a 1Ghz unit into my life and heart it won't be by selling her out.
Ahh....so she's...

YOUR Precious!!

Yeah, got the email also.

Rolling on the floor laughing my arse off, as the saying goes.

3. There is no way on earth anyone with any sense would give any money to Craig.

I mean, just why would you?

D.
Well, if you light your cigars with hundred dollar bills...like Bill Gates probably does...

Interesting, I didn't receive that email, being a OP Ltd customer in 2008. Is this the "famous" marketing ploy that was supposed to happen last year? Where is it directing customers to?

Plan? All he asks for is more money/free units he can sell. That's not a plan, that won't get new costumers, publicity, anything.

I don't get why people call him "marketing-genius" or similar anyway... Lies and broken promises, that's all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting, I didn't receive that email, being a OP Ltd customer in 2008. Is this the "famous" marketing ploy that was supposed to happen last year? Where is it directing customers to?
I probably got yours ;)
As you can see, the only link on the email is to openpandora.org; which takes you to the website - and incase you haven't visited, UK customers are directed to DragonBox

Plan? All he asks for is more money/free units he can sell. That's not a plan, that won't get new costumers, publicity, anything.

I don't get why people call him "marketing-genius" or similar anyway... Lies and broken promises, that's all.
I'm not totally familiar with the situation, but I don't think LIES is a fair thing to say. That implies intent to decieve.

Broken promises...yeah.

As I understand, not entirely his doing. Nevertheless, I know this does little to ease the frustrations of the early folks. But "lies" just isn't fair.

why don't you send it in yourself?
Because I already have a 1Ghz, so it wouldn't do me a lot of good. If I do the trade in then I'm left with the logistics of shipping and paying for the upgrade for a device which I would just turn around and sell immediately for an unknown amount of money. It makes more sense from a logistics and business perspective to sell the broken one for discount and have the intended do the upgrade. If I didn't already have a 1Ghz I'd totally go for it, and if I had realized this was an offer 2 months ago I probably would have.

Last edited by a moderator:

In what way(s)?

Problems with the SGX. I've noticed issues with quite a few games - notably the Descent ports, which don't show textures properly. I'm avoiding the 1GHz mostly because of that (Descent is one my most played games), but also because there's almost no difference between a 1GHz unit and my CC overclocked.

This to be honest looks like:

Craig: "Send my your old unit, I'll send you a 1GHz for a small(!) fee"

Customer: "Great!"

...pays money, sends CC/RB unit to Craig...

Customer: "Looking forward to my new 1GHz even if it does look like shit!"

Craig: "..."

Customer: "Well, where is it?"

Customer: "Come on, it's been more than a year!"

etc, etc. I mean seriously, I do hope nobody falls for this one. They're not going to get 1GHz units, they're just going to throw cash at Craig and then moan about it on the forums for the next four years before ED takes pity on them and spends his hard-earned profits filling Craig's queue again. 

And if you don't believe me, just look at the number of threads of people complaining that Craig isn't talking/sending units etc. 

D.

Back