I Think This One Can Skip Youtube

Aww... but I'm a d-pad snob! I'd love to see the blinding quality of that d-pad that OpenPandora's so proud of.

Aww, but all these micro-updates are what I love so much about following this project! :)

edit: lol, just realized SirAileron and I both started our replies with "Aww, but..."

I'd like to get his opinion on how the diagonals, and/or direct verticals and horizontals work, if they work cleanly and give you a sure-fire steady direction, or if there are any accidental misses (or extraneous direction hits) when quickly changing directions.

Actually, I'd really like to see this - I'm very interested in the d-pad design. Craigix, can you or someone else possibly please post it somewhere?

I too would like to see it. If only because it was a sticking point for several weeks, and I'd like to see what came of it.

JayFoxRox said:
Thats just craigix... teasing us another time ;(
Luckily enough I don't even really care about the d-pad. I'm MUCH more interesed in the analog nubs.

I fear you must be in the minority on this one, although I can see how you would feel this way.

An excellent dpad would be +100 for the Pandora. A terrible dpad would be -1000. Most people probably want the nubs to be good but can take or leave them.

Last edited by a moderator:
craigix said:
It's not worth posting, it's just a video of a FDM pad being tested in extreme close up.

If you've already got the video, would it be too much of a bother to upload it? It might not be much, but I'm sure some people would really appreciate it.

Exophase said:
An excellent dpad would be +100 for the Pandora. A terrible dpad would be -1000. Most people probably want the nubs to be good but can take or leave them.
I'm not so sure about that. Given the number of posts about people interested in using the nubs as mouse control, I'd say it's hard to tell where the split lies.

D-pads "can" mean a lot to some. even little things like how much it goes up out of the case can really alleviate some. I am not a fan of D-pads, but I can understand that how your hand feels after using it for a long time can really have an impression on the user that will surely hit some of the reviews.

craigix said:
It's not worth posting, it's just a video of a FDM pad being tested in extreme close up.
:eek: ... Blasphemy!
I never thought you would say such a thing... -_-

Pandora Follower Rules

"If it's Pandora-related, it's always worth posting."

wink.gif
Just Kidding, obviously.

Craig, you know you COULD just post a few videos of you USING the thing for 10 minutes and there'd be a huge load of orgasming forum users. It doesnt take much.

Exophase said:

I've never go this whole debate about the D-Pad, or the need to tweak it by a mm. I've been using some cheapo (70bt, just over £1) controllers for all my emulated gaming (or had been, until I got a Wii and installed the homebrew channel). I've used loads of different types pads of various qualities and none of them seem to affect the way I play. I never even had a problem with the GP2X's stick. I guess I'm just not a 'serious' gamer!

It's understandable that not everyone cares I guess. The pad was probably good enough for 90% of people two months ago. But I'm glad they have a perfectionist like Dave on it; it removes any possibility that it's going to be shit. I must admit I'm a bit of a d-pad snob too.

D-pad lowlights of the 20th century include the GP2X F200 (four buttons? really?) and the Xbox360 (oh my god, what were they thinking?). Highlights include anything Nintendo, SNES in particular, and the Hori pad I bought for my 360. I don't imagine it's a hugely complex thing to get right, all it takes is for the person making it to care about gaming.

Gruso said:
D-pad lowlights of the 20th century include the GP2X F200 (four buttons? really?) and the Xbox360 (oh my god, what were they thinking?). Highlights include anything Nintendo, SNES in particular, and the Hori pad I bought for my 360. [...] I don't imagine it's a hugely complex thing to get right, all it takes is for the person making it to care about gaming.

Words of truth about Xbox and Nintendo controllers. Agreed 100%. Having tried many good and many BAD d-pads myself, the quality of Pandora's is also a concern of mine. There's a hundred ways to stumble in design, IF one doesn't care about gaming.

I, for one, loved the Sega Saturn D-Pad. But some people don't like connected D-Pads like it had :/

But of course, it's already done being designed so I'll have to just sit back and wait to see if I approve.

Archaemic said:
I, for one, loved the Sega Saturn D-Pad. But some people don't like connected D-Pads like it had :/
Me too! I liked the genesis one even more though.

I hated the Genesis (Megadrive) pad. Very bad.
The best D-Pad to ever have existed is, of course, the SNES controller one.
It rocks, they practically came up with the design anyway (first used on Game & Watch?)

So, yeah, It is important for the Pandy DPad to be 'perfect'.

Back