I Want One

Mr.Confuzed said:
@mvickers
No sarcasm this time, just curiosity.

This is what I see at my link.
This is what I see at your link.

Looks like the same item to me.

Ahhh not to worry then :) I thought you thought that I thought that you were the Auction seller for some reason. yeah there both the same link not to worry though ;)

Ouch my head hurts :lol:

Great news on batch 2 any one know how many will be in batch 2?

Edit: NM

Last edited by a moderator:
Bump - I wanna order as soon as possible so I have a chance of getting one of the free slots in batch 1, but the e-mails posted don't say where to send the preorder to :(

Jdbye said:
So, where do I have to send the email if I want to order one?
openpandorasales @ gmail . com

but aren't they busy enough?

Mr.Confuzed said:
Jdbye said:

Probably - but if there's a chance of getting in one of the free slots in the first batch, I have to order as soon as possible. After hearing what the battery life was like, I decided I had to have one. Portable devices nowadays have too powerful hardware for the batteries, I want something that can last a overseas airplane trip, or last the whole day when I'm away from home.
On that note - sent them an email with my info, waiting for a confirmation :D

Maybe it's the right time now to set up a second account? Could be quite handy to divide order and support requests, imo.

mali said:
Maybe it's the right time now to set up a second account? Could be quite handy to divide order and support requests, imo.
In my opinion they should set up Google Apps on openpandora.org and use that for email addresses instead of gmail. It's free, and has the same benefits and layout as gmail, but looks less phony :p

Jdbye said:
In my opinion they should set up Google Apps on openpandora.org and use that for email addresses instead of gmail. It's free, and has the same benefits and layout as gmail, but looks less phony :p
That would defy their heritage. Open Pandora wants to keep a stable public image, don't they?

Just to ask does anyone know whether you still have a warranty if you bought your pandora off of ebay? I did and the auction said it came with a years worth of warranty but I don't have a card or anything, is the proof just the serial number at the back?

shiba77 said:
Just to ask does anyone know whether you still have a warranty if you bought your pandora off of ebay? I did and the auction said it came with a years worth of warranty but I don't have a card or anything, is the proof just the serial number at the back?
You need to be able to prove you didn't buy it last year, and that it's a genuine one sold by OPL :rolleyes:

Usually, the waranty card isn't worth the paper it's printed on, since your statutory rights (at least in the UK) meet or exceed the waranty's offer.

Ah that's good, so if something goes wrong I can just contact the pandora team and send them the link of the auction as proof I purchased it this year?

Ordering from Batch 2 is the only way to be guaranteed of receiving a
Pandora before Christmas.

Updates on the progress will be posted, as available, on our website
Developer Blog/Current Status and the Pandora forums at www.gp32x.de.
Everything on the level there?

Well, no, although perhaps not in the way that you meant to ask.

I'm surprised that they'd issue the statement of guaranteed delivery of a Pandora before Xmas. That would definitely create a legally binding contract between OP and the Second Batch buyer. So, either OP is very confident that they've gotten the logistics issues solved, or they're going to be dealing with some very, very upset people (with a way to express their frustration, potentially, albeit mostly unlikely - but an American lawyer would never have allowed that).

Additionally, I'd say that "Updates on the progress" have not been "posted, as available". That's just complete BS. More like "posted when we feel like it, if it suits us". Why even put that in the email? I doubt it'd have sway in a potential buyer making a decision.

Caveat Emptor!

I have to admit that I have mixed feelings. I want to see some progress first before I jump on the 2nd batch ordering bandwagon. For 90eur extra cash I expect a slightly better quality that includes top notch nubs, perfect batteries and an LCD cable without that copper tape. I don't care about cosmetic issues, though. As an UMPC guy I have more options to choose from. I'm used to wait, so be it.

mali said:
I have to admit that I have mixed feelings. I want to see some progress first before I jump on the 2nd batch ordering bandwagon. For 90eur extra cash I expect a slightly better quality that includes top notch nubs, perfect batteries and an LCD cable without that copper tape. I don't care about cosmetic issues, though. As an UMPC guy I have more options to choose from. I'm used to wait, so be it.

As for the copper tape, I'm pretty sure that's not going away since it would just require shielding somewhere else (like the case) if it did. The rest of the stuff I am not seeing continuing issues with (Nubs is after all why the latest round of boards is late)

What other improvements do you think they can make without changing the basic hardware? (since it's not Pandora 2)

Also, maybe off topic but I Still haven't seen a UMPC that looks anywhere near as appealing to me. (The 128 GB (for now) of potential removable storage being a big feature. As are the controls, gaming and not. (These are why I didn't buy an N900) Also important are the battery life, and the screen which is protected while pocketed. (I wish my N800 had the 770's shell)

(So if you do know of a UMPC that is close, I'd love to hear about it ;) )

Jdbye said:
Mr.Confuzed said:
Jdbye said:

Probably - but if there's a chance of getting in one of the free slots in the first batch, I have to order as soon as possible. After hearing what the battery life was like, I decided I had to have one. Portable devices nowadays have too powerful hardware for the batteries, I want something that can last a overseas airplane trip, or last the whole day when I'm away from home.
On that note - sent them an email with my info, waiting for a confirmation :D
I don't know if you will get into the 1st batch,as that email from openpandora about ordering as been sent to other people since Tuesday evening afaik.

@davidro
Nah, I don't talk about other devices, Pandora is best :) But still, I don't have a good feeling regarding the tape as it wasn't part of the original design. The nubs should be better from now on and the batteries for the second batch will be fresh, I think. Empirical studies have proven that everything what _can_ go wrong _does_ go wrong in this project, though :p

mali said:
@davidro
Nah, I don't talk about other devices, Pandora is best :) But still, I don't have a good feeling regarding the tape as it wasn't part of the original design. The nubs should be better from now on and the batteries for the second batch will be fresh, I think. Empirical studies have proven that everything what _can_ go wrong _does_ go wrong in this project, though :p

That's not true. Some other things have gone wrong as well. :p

yeah! volcanoes, earthquakes, ghost's, fire's, global economic collapse, postal strikes, banks with an allergy to money, weird plastics companies that will not talk to OP (just Fatih), fab plants redesigning the main board without permission and screwing the Wifi, design faults in the nubs, original nub makers going bust, paypal refusing payment, original company doubling build price and forcing OP to create own assembly line, Craigs filmed assassination of a Sony agent/spy and his dramatic fall from the house roof......need I go on? :unsure:

Back