Keymat Layout - the Final Poll!

What layout would you prefer? Multiple layouts can be chosen.

• Layout 1

Votes: 66 34.4%
  • Layout 2

Votes: 13 6.8%
  • Layout 3

Votes: 15 7.8%
  • Layout 4

Votes: 28 14.6%
  • Layout 5

Votes: 22 11.5%
  • Layout 6

Votes: 29 15.1%
  • Layout 7

Votes: 83 43.2%
  • Layout 8

Votes: 10 5.2%
  • Layout 9

Votes: 7 3.6%
  • Layout 10

Votes: 53 27.6%
  • Layout 11

Votes: 22 11.5%

• Total voters

Status
Not open for further replies.

EvilDragon

Administrator
Staff member
PLEASE READ BEFORE VOTING!

This is it: The final, yes, FINAL keyboard layout poll!
There were thousands of discussion threads, many different approaches, and this poll is the result of the hard work.

Before you vote, read up the following:

1. A keyboard should be easily understandable for common keys and symbols. If you need to read an instruction manual for simple things, something is wrong.
2. As the Pyra is a flexible device, the keyboard should be usable for various tasks: Coding, writing posts, emails and letters, Linux shell, etc. It's not possible to create a keyboard that's perfect for every task - but it should work fine for MOST.
3. When choosing your favourite layout, do NOT be affected by the labels of the keys. We're ONLY choosing the functional layout right now - it does NOT mean stuff will be printed exactly like you can see it on the keymat (i.e. L-Shift will not be printed on the keymat, it will be Shift. The function will be the left key though)
4. The poll is only here to HELP me choose the layout. The final choice will still be made by myself, but I'd really like to see what you guys think - this will definitely affect my decision :)

5. All creator names have been removed from the layouts to make the poll as neutral as possible.

6. You can do multiple polls if you can't decide what keyboard you like best. Don't overuse that, though :)

7. The poll will end Monday, 20th of July 23:59pm (German time)

Well - so much for the introduction.

Here are our candidates:

1.png2.png3.png

4.png5.png6.png

7.png8.png9.png

10.png11.png

EDIT: Just to make things clear:

This poll is NOT intended to find out what you want to use the Pyra for, so please DO NOT choose a layout simply because you only want to use it for one task and do not care about the others.

The primary goal is to find a keyboard SUITED for as many users and usecases as possible - so when looking at a layout and choosing your favourite one, widen your horizon and carefully think if it is useful for a wide range of tasks.

Last edited by a moderator:
For the shell, voting for a keymat layout where / (slash) doesn't require a key combination.

For the shell, voting for a keymat layout where / (slash) doesn't require a key combination.
Did you my topic nr. 2?

Please do NOT only vote what you would like for your special occasion.

Try to think about ALL possible tasks and choose the best one for that.

Did you my topic nr. 2?

Please do NOT only vote what you would like for your special occasion.

Try to think about ALL possible tasks and choose the best one for that.
Yes, I read it. Certain uses have a stronger weight for me than others. Typing-in paths and using the command line shell on a Linux device weigh very strongly over other uses. Others may express other priorities, which I would be interested in knowing.

I hope to hell this is the last one, and any following this would get deleted without even reading the whole post. If nothing else, we end them with a poll though to put the nail in the coffin.

Oh, crap. That will make it impossible to send a new line in Pidgin. Just like on the Pandora.

ctrl+enter or shift+enter does that in pidgin, it does create other problems though, in the case of enter, AltGr+enter is a hotkey for browser.fixup.alternate.suffix;.com in FF

Similar effects happen with compose on space, since altGr+space produces a non-breaking space.

Putting compose on start, when start isn't encumbered with other things, has no adverse effects.

The buttons are also too small to have "comp." or "compose", so the compose symbol ⎄ will have to do.

WTF?!  All the layouts suck equally for me. What a shame. :(

The problem is in the design of the keyboard itself, not the layout.

WTF?! All the layouts suck equally for me. What a shame. :(

The problem is in the design of the keyboard itself, not the layout.
You are the only one who doesn't like the design of the keyboard (as far as I've seen) :)

All the nation-specific stuff is in the same place as the English have  { [  ] }

You are missing the point, but thats fair, you haven't selected a language in the startup-config yet. Which I reckon for the people who opt in for it, is the only avenue to get to explain anything.

While it cant be both brackets and "foreign" letters, you can switch between them. That way you can type normally. And most importantly:

If you are English, you don't have to see foreign letters.

The primary goal is to find a keyboard SUITED for as many users and usecases as possible - so when looking at a layout and choosing your favourite one, widen your horizon and carefully think if it is useful for a wide range of tasks.
If you get sufficient answers in numbers this kind of statement does not make sense. Either you are doing a qualitative research or quantitative one, you can't mix both purposes at once. Let the majority decide what they prefer regarless of what they want to do with it, and if you get 100 answers this will be probably close to what you need to do for most people anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back