Late to the party

Sugarfix

Firstly, a little about myself:

I'm a 39 year old male from the UK, my first home computer was the ZX80 and you'll now find me at home, in my Games room (the converted garage that my wife and her mother affectionately know as "the Dungeon" due to it's lack of natural sunlight rather than bare stone walls and torture equipment) surrounded by my 48k ZX Spectrum, 3 Amiga 500s, 1 Amiga 600 (I'm still not sure why), 1 Amiga 1200 (with an Indivision scan doubler, 60Gb Hard disk with a load of games installed to it) an N64, a Gamecube, a Wii, an Xbox, a 360, a PS2, a PS3, a PSP, a Gameboy, a GBC, a GBA, a DS and a whole load of Emulators on my PC (Mame, WinUAE, Zero, etc.)

So you can see, I'm a fan of retro, not a die hard like some of you, but a fan none the less.

Then, while looking around for updates for my Amiga setup as a birthday present for myself, I happen to stumble across the Sega Megadrive handheld. I do some searching and wind-up at openpandora.org and I suddenly feel like every character in Pulp Fiction who looked in the briefcase. "Is that?", "Yes it is".

So, today I decide to stump up and buy one. Happy Birthday to me!

Now, I want to prepare myself a little. I'm REALLY keen to get the Amiga emulator going on there, but want to get the biggest "WOW" factor I can from the off. So here's my question: What is the killer app at the moment that I should install first? A native game or an emulator? And if it's an emulator, which game first?

I've spent the money, so I've got to make it work for myself, but I want to love it from day one, so let me know what you're anjoying the most.

Cheers in advance for any replies guys.

Sugarfix

One excited bunny,

Birmingham, UK.

Ha ha. Love the Pulp Fiction reference. Are you one excited "Honey Bunny" by any chance?

I would say that at the moment, the "killer" apps are the emulators. Most of them run very well (I love the Intellivision emulator, for instance), but the one that impresses me most at the moment would be Notaz's port and work on PCSX-Reloaded, entitled PCSX-ReARMed. It has come a very long way in a very short time.

There are some native platformers that are upcoming due to the competition that is currently underway, and I expect great things from them.

I'm sure the other members here can guide you as well.

Congratulations and welcome!

Last edited by a moderator:
dear new user, welcome to the greener side of the fence, just to get your started, go through each video in this thread, theyre all made by one of the main guys that are behind the pandora

Cheers both for the replies and I'm glad you like my little reference David. :) It's always nice when someone "get's it".

And thanks for the pointer to the videos DaMummy, it reinforced what David suggested that it's got to be an emulator, the only problem now if which one! Watching the videos now I'm torn between UAE, Mame4All, the Snes, the N64 or ScummVM!

Choices, choices...

I'm going to have to go though my PC emus and find my favourite games I think and come at it from that angle instead.

Cheers again both.

Cheers both for the replies and I'm glad you like my little reference David. :) It's always nice when someone "get's it".

And thanks for the pointer to the videos DaMummy, it reinforced what David suggested that it's got to be an emulator, the only problem now if which one! Watching the videos now I'm torn between UAE, Mame4All, the Snes, the N64 or ScummVM!

Choices, choices...

I'm going to have to go though my PC emus and find my favourite games I think and come at it from that angle instead.

Cheers again both.

Hi

Go for the Amiga and Speccy ones, you know you want to :)

My Pandora arrives tomorrow and they are the first two I will load :) well I did grow up with them, still have a cupboard full

of 500's and a 1200 which is always setup.

Then there is the other cupboard which is full of Spectrums :)

Nice to have another Amiga junkie on board :D

For me the killer ap has got to be psxrearmed closely followed by UAE. ELITE on a pocket computer is just amazing.

I am really partial to MAME4All, while the sound might not be flawless in a few games, to me this is a gem to have in your hand rather than on it. Welcome and congrats on your order!

@BaDToaD - Yeah, I read someone else talking about Elite and I'm looking forward to trying it.

I'm also wondering about the DOS versions of Elite Frontier and Wing Commander (don't remember off the top of my head which one, but I do recall it had a floppy and a CD version just found it now, Wing Commander IV... 6 CDs????) Has anyone tried it I wonder?

Now I'm looking at the other old PC games on the shelf... Syndicate Wars anyone? :)

You need to try mame 106 and mame4all this little console has the best hand held arcade you could hope for maybe not as prolific as the psp dev scene but once some coders get there teeth into this it will be the best ive only had my pandora for a week and already im quite surprised it takes a bit of getting used to but thats all part of the journey mame emulation is really good kaneko supernova and psykyo sh2 are supported as long as you have acompatible romset im using xbox1 mame 84 set just now and the old gp2x mame 37 set also gba emulation is top notch.

enjoy my friend

caz

im really looking forward to scummvm! so many games i just cant wait to play ANYWHERE AND ANYWHEN!

I'm in the same boat as you, Sugarfix. How did I not know about this earlier? I should be getting mine in couple of days too. One of the first things I'm gonna do is fire up ViceX64 (C=64) and play me some Jumpman & Realm of Impossibility. I figure with some overclocking and some frameskip Pandora should be able to handle Jumpman ok. Ha-ha.

Living as you do in 'The Dungeon', your wife perhaps already views you as the Gimp but rest assured that you better be better than the frickin foot master once Pandora comes along. As you'll be wearing that dungeon of delights in your trouser pocket whilst Mrs Gimp wants to be touched more than Miss Pandora pretty damn soon, as jealously will be in the air sharper than a Hantori Hanzo in the twinkling of Tarantinos eye.

As for the Big Kahuna Burgers of a Pandora breakfast, you'll be wanting the Notaz showtaz of PCSX Re-ARMed and dangerous my punchy, plus the Royale Mario64 with ease courtesy of the big brains on Dev's. After that you've nothing better to wash it down with than the tasty sprites of Snatcher on the PicoDrive of dead robot storage in neo-kobe's streets of wonder.

If your still not satisfied and want to pot your belly further there's the classic blueberry pancakes and five dollar shakes with the retro emulators to chopper through, as they aint dead baby their yours. A ton of real Jules in text and graphical adventures wandering the earth and heavens and don't mention the ScummVM or we'll have to get medieval on you, or the reservoir of dosbox to take the fall for.

Not to mention that no-one around here is a dirty rat and blessed are those who in the name of charity and goodwill shepherd the weak through the valley of choices, for they are truly Pandora's keepers and the makers of lost men.

Its gonna be a teenage wedding for you and lonesome town for the wife for sure :)

Once you get your Pandora the first thing is to plug it in order to charge it.

Then I would install the latest Hotfix (full flash): http://boards.openpandora.org/index.php?%2Ftopic%2F2080-hotfix-5-released%2Fpage__pid__37497#entry37497

Then install the community codec pack.

There is a number of thing you can configure on he OS so don't hesitate to check it out. There is two GUI you can use XFCE which is a full desktop and minimenu which is a simple, "console-like" launcher.

I recommend you check out the wiki if haven't yet. http://pandorawiki.org/Main_Page

There are plenty of info there as well as a list of available software which is usually more or less up to date.

You can prepare a SDCARD before your Pandora arrive (just need to drop the .pnd into a folder: /pandora/menu or /pandora/desktop)

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome :D I've been standing around with my invite for the longest time, but it looks like I've finally got the money for the gas to make it to the party LOL.

What am I getting first? Well, I'm a rather artistic type, so probably GIMP and Blender, followed by all my fave emulators and as many random F/OSS games with Pandora ports as possible :)

Bravo Mario, bravo! I imagined a scary, hairy bloke standing behind you, silently urging you on as you managed to pump one more reference into your reply. :)

Oh, yes. Full desktop or the launcher... Hmmm. Think I'll start with the launcher, gain some confidence then go full on tweak crazy!

Cheers again to everyone for your replies, much appreciated.

A roc, yeah, it trimmed it, even though I shortened it to fit the submission form, there's obviously a mismatch between the input and display. D'oh!

Never mind, it's warmer under a roc than a rock. :)

Firstly, a little about myself:

I'm a 39 year old male from the UK, my first home computer was the ZX80 and you'll now find me at home, in my Games room (the converted garage that my wife and her mother affectionately know as "the Dungeon" due to it's lack of natural sunlight rather than bare stone walls and torture equipment) surrounded by my 48k ZX Spectrum, 3 Amiga 500s, 1 Amiga 600 (I'm still not sure why), 1 Amiga 1200 (with an Indivision scan doubler, 60Gb Hard disk with a load of games installed to it) an N64, a Gamecube, a Wii, an Xbox, a 360, a PS2, a PS3, a PSP, a Gameboy, a GBC, a GBA, a DS and a whole load of Emulators on my PC (Mame, WinUAE, Zero, etc.)

So you can see, I'm a fan of retro, not a die hard like some of you, but a fan none the less.

Then, while looking around for updates for my Amiga setup as a birthday present for myself, I happen to stumble across the Sega Megadrive handheld. I do some searching and wind-up at openpandora.org and I suddenly feel like every character in Pulp Fiction who looked in the briefcase. "Is that?", "Yes it is".

So, today I decide to stump up and buy one. Happy Birthday to me!

Now, I want to prepare myself a little. I'm REALLY keen to get the Amiga emulator going on there, but want to get the biggest "WOW" factor I can from the off. So here's my question: What is the killer app at the moment that I should install first? A native game or an emulator? And if it's an emulator, which game first?

I've spent the money, so I've got to make it work for myself, but I want to love it from day one, so let me know what you're anjoying the most.

Cheers in advance for any replies guys.

Sugarfix

One excited bunny,

Birmingham, UK.

Welcome to the forums Sugarfix.

Similar age myself, also started out with ZX80, and had Spectrum, Atari 520ST, BBC, PS2. There wasn't even a computer science course at our school in those days, we had to start one!

I waited over three years before my pandora arrived, from first finding out about it, you're at the right end of the curve!

Yes, you'll love the emulators, effectively being able to carry so many different systems in one device.

Overall for me the best thing about the pandora is how versatile it is. One minute you can be programming, the next playing games, watching a movie or listening to music, web surfing.

Get thee PandOricutron and some files from oric.org, and you will have the best 8-bit computer in the world, in your pocket!

;)

Oric vs Spectrum? Which one's better? There's only one way to find out...

FIGHT!

A Harry Hill reference for the UK peeps there. ;-)

Here's another question too: are there any audio players with visualisation screens or plug ins like Winamp? Just be nice to see the graphs chip getting a good workout while listening to some tunes.

Back