List The Phones That Can Tether With The Pandora

Oh great news, the Pandora doesn't do Ad-Hoc! I've just spent a few hours making sure my Android phone could tether wirelessly, which involved rooting the damn thing :-o

So, can't use it with my non-existent Pandora...never mind.

OrR said:
Consequence_9 said:
Palm Pre

/thread
This.

That's nice, but it's a smartphone. The OP has specifically asked

Bosbeetle said:
All you guys seem to have fancy phones :D any luck with the less fancy ones. I want a phone for calling mainly :D

and furthermore

XxionxX said:
Are there any non smartphones that work with bluetooth tethering?

Last edited by a moderator:
Why would you get a non-smart phone when the Palm Pre is only 220 € unlocked from Germany? :eek:

(Of course the situation for Americans is different, you are really getting assraped by your phone providers... :blink: )

davidgro said:
XxionxX said:
I have a razr, will that work? A forum with someone named howard... ... ... This will take a while.

Anyway if anyone has Metro PCS let me know how that is working for you. My contract is up with Verizon and if anyone has some experience with Metro it would be really helpful because I would love to tether my Panda when it comes.

I was being silly on purpose with the hint (Google would get you there if you search for: howard forums). http://www.howardforums.com/forum.php

(The site isn't as good as it used to be, it got too big and the carriers/manufactures started forcing them to moderate more. Back in the day it might not have been acceptable to link there directly due to certain topics on the site not being so legal.)

As for your Razr, just google it, but with the specific model number and the word tether.

Thanks!

OrR said:
Why would you get a non-smart phone when the Palm Pre is only 220 € unlocked from Germany? :eek:

Because you don't want to spend 220 on a phone, perhaps?

OrR said:
Why would you spend 220 € on a phone when you've got a 240 € device which can do even more than that phone? All it's missing is actual phone capabilities which can be supplemented with something 2 years old for 20 €

The Pandora doesn't do multitouch. It probably won't get most of the games the Pre has (which are mostly iPhone ports). It doesn't have an accellerometer or a GPS or a camera. They are very different devices doing different things. Thus they perfectly complement each other. The Pandora does multimedia, desktop-style browsing and computing, open source ports, emulation. The Pre does iPhone-style gaming, phone & SMS, always on information management like calendar & alarm clock, easy to use web connected apps for getting a train connection or the weather. The Pre can share it's internet via Wifi, the Pandora can share it's battery via USB. They are pretty much perfect together.
There is some overlap. That doesn't mean that a Pandora (+ cheap phone) will ever be able to do what the Pre can or the other way around. It's worth getting both IMO.

I'm personally interested in the cheapest solution for phone tethering.

I don't want any of the features of a smartphone. I just want to make limited use of portable internet (data plans are too expensive here). I'm not fond of web apps nor touch-based games. Anything else either Pandora or a basic phone does.

^ same here, although I wouldn't mind having gps when I'm on the go.

The phones these days with compas and gyroscope can do pretty cool tricks with augmented reality (I've seen it being requested for the panda, maybe next-gen).
Would be cool to have some tools like these on hands at all time though ..

OrR said:
The Pandora doesn't do multitouch. It probably won't get most of the games the Pre has (which are mostly iPhone ports). It doesn't have an accellerometer or a GPS or a camera. They are very different devices doing different things. Thus they perfectly complement each other. The Pandora does multimedia, desktop-style browsing and computing, open source ports, emulation. The Pre does iPhone-style gaming, phone & SMS, always on information management like calendar & alarm clock, easy to use web connected apps for getting a train connection or the weather. The Pre can share it's internet via Wifi, the Pandora can share it's battery via USB. They are pretty much perfect together.
There is some overlap. That doesn't mean that a Pandora (+ cheap phone) will ever be able to do what the Pre can or the other way around. It's worth getting both IMO.
^this^ they compliment each other perfectly, & in fact it's funny you should mention battery charging over usb, saved my ass one night making an important call.

Even if you want a dumbphone just for calls it's practically not worth it anymore with the pre plus being only 30 bux now on verizon. yah yah you have to pay for data, but you would be anyway if you wanted to tether so...

Anyone tried the android 2.2 froyo-hotspot tethering with the pandora?

Would be perfect if theyd hit it on!

mtaylor said:
Anyone tried to tether a blackberry?

I've successfully tethered using a berry (8320). I have to keep it in close proximity or it seems to not keep passing packets.

Well if you're into nice open & free applications you might like the (geeksphone) "One". I'm not into phones very much so I'll leave the specs discussion to anyone who understands them.

Blog post about the idea behind the open source phone:
http://www.androidguys.com/2010/07/21/geeksphones-ccr-program-real-open-source-phone/

Specifications:
http://www.geeksphone.com/en/moviles/especificaciones.php

Awesome, I didn't even know about that! B) Sounds like a great project although the hardware is even more outdated than my Pre and I still don't really like Android.

tantepose said:
Tried, failed. Mind you, I've not spent much time messing about, and haven't tethered anything else either. This was a HTC Desire.

tsh said:
tantepose said:
Tried, failed. Mind you, I've not spent much time messing about, and haven't tethered anything else either. This was a HTC Desire.
Dang, HTC Desire here aswell, and messing about is not my speciality. Was hoping it would be a smooth ride.

Ah well, I might as well teach myself some messing about when i get the big papa Pizzle ma nizzle.

Phone: Motorola Droid X
Carrier: Verizon (US)

I paid no additional charges to Verizon for tethering (a friend with a Droid II is paying $20/month to tether).

Had the Pandora online last night with the Droid X. Works really nice. Quite happy I dumped AT&T and my iphone.

Peace & Pandora,

Link

EDIT: This only worked for me upon initial install, after I used it once, I was not able to get online with it. Not sure if it was a fluke or what. Droid X is NOT good to go.

T-Mobile Mytouch, rooted, running Cyanogen 6.0.0.DS rom, tether via usb works great.. just turn off wifi and bluetooth. No luck with wifi, tried wifi hotspot, barnacle, pdanet, bluetooth on Pandora useless to me so far, even once I manage pairing nothing except file transfer available, (this includes headsets also../shrug.

Anxiously awaiting ad-hoc support while I continue to search for a wireless app that works. I'd rather keep my phone in my pocket non-physically tethered to my phone while I surf or watch my home TV stream.

Cheap solution for cellphone w/tethering (assuming TM506 Tethering works, pretty sure it will, I'll test tomorrow) T-mobile unlimited data plan on a 'feature' phone is only $10.00 a month. TM-506 is the only feature phone I found with 3g capabilities.. I used it for quite a while until i upgraded to my Mytouch, still pretty reasonable price wise, 60 bucks a month for unlimited messaging, web, 500 minutes talk time(I don't talk much on the phone actually.

sprint EVO,
it functions as portable wifi hotspot in infrastructure mode.

works with any wifi device.

Belthos

It's what I use.

Back