Logo Poll Results

I was actually thinking of the packaging box, but somehow forgot to mention it.

As a minimalist, I think it should be just the (very visible recognizable) logo on the back of the screen.

Hey guys

I've not been on here for a while recently as I've been pretty busy at work, so imagine my surprise to check in and see I came second in the logo poll! Thanks to everyone who voted for my logo, I was really pleased with it.

I had no idea this poll was taking place, if anyone had contacted me I would have liked the chance to explain the logo a little, but it's kind of straightforward, it's a box to reference 'Pandora' and also a play and stop symbol to reference the fact its a media player. It's got a nice duality to it, it pops in and out of 3D, which is the sort of logo I like best, where there's something to interpret. (Think FedEx logo!)

Anyway, thanks again everyone who voted, it's made my day to see that it was well received. I'm a graphic designer by trade so do a lot of logos and branding type malarky, but I've never had the chance to work on a gaming identity before - a dream job for me!

Thanks again guys, and well done to Eolair for coming up with the winner, congratulations!

®

#14 by evilwallpaper. Is better than others, all marketing professional known the posibilities of this logo and letters.

The #09 by Eolair it's good, look very well but for a console logo ... needs to be more simple and descriptive when you look at first time.

You can remember and have an idea of Pandora name quickly if you see the box symbol in #14 by evilwallpaper. It is a very clear and profesional logo.

Prompt.

Well Prompt, I'm a graphic designer and marketing professional, and I have to say that they all have potential and there's nothing more or less fundamentally usable about any of them. Eolair's winning design is no less usable than evilwallpaper's, it's a matter of opinion at this stage, they're all fit for purpose.

What sort of impression do the Pandora team want to give, what tone do they want to strike with potential buyers? What do their market respond to? Where will it be advertised and alongside what competitiors? Crucially, what concerns would be going through the mind of a casual buyer at the point of purchase which the identity has a chance to influence? Those would be the sort of questions which would help you measure one against another.

Which one has a 'graphic language' which you can most successfully use across other applications such as displays, advertising, websites, packaging etc? For example #15 comes with a strong sense of what the overall identity would look like and gives you a lot more to go on to build any kind of brand. The logo (and its colour and typeface) should ideally help you with these tasks, otherwise it's like starting from scratch each time you design a piece of collateral for the Pandora, and just popping the logo in the corner. That would be the surest signal to the outside world that it was a homebrew endeavour rather than a strong professional product. We shouldn't be badging eclectic things, we should be building a character for the machine.

They're all good, I think the results of the poll are a valuable thing. To have a logo chosen by the community is powerful and starts off on the right foot. It's a great story to tell.

The only thing I'll say about #14, is that we've started seeing it on a few things and it feels like people in the know might prefer it. So if it does end up being chosen, it needs some refinement. I don't mean change it, but the letterspacing is wildly inconsistent (the PAND is very obviously tighter than the DORA for example) and the icon itself could be a little more refined. It's built in a very elementary way which needs to just be finessed with a careful eye. But that's the sort of thing that any of these finalists would need if the team were to pick them to begin using. Producing artwork for print requires a level of scrutiny that generating ideas for an online forum poll doesn't...

Again, just my (informed) opinions...

®

I love Eolair's design and hope it'll be used in some way (even if it's just an after-market sticker ^^). Good Job!

And just to chip in on the "ultraportable" debate: ultraportable doesn't really refer to the size as much as the functions/size ratio, I believe. Like Gruso said, it's a buzzword... heck, Apple is calling their MacBook Air an ultraportable, and 9"-10" notebooks by other vendors are called that, too. So if anything, the Pandora is too small to be called an ultraportable.... More like PicoPC or something (;

Also, on an entirely unrelated note, when did people start to write "of coarse" ? I've seen it a lot lately, just wondering - I don't want to flame anybody ^.^"

As a fellow graphic designer, I must say I very much like your Identity, it's simple yet powerful, and has a nice balance and range (I'm not very keen on the font though, I like it but not here).

I wish I had seen this before, I would surely have made my pitch for it :).

I'm not sure if the Identity has been picked already, since #14 is in the openpandora.org website. But it indeed needs a lot of tweaking.

I'd love to see a good concept associated though, what is the pandora anyway?. According to greek mythology, a woman created with gifts from several gods, which opens a box that releases all the evils, and then closes hope inside of it.
Transitioning to the opensource world, a the evils are the instituted players on the console market, which are no longer inside, what what's left is "hope", for an open free system. My little quick take on it :p

I personally would pursue a concept that truly evoked openness, creativity, creation. With a strong focus on a Brand that would work well on a myriad of mediums. This is a systems that can do everything, everywhere. As long as people code it that is :).

The pandora team would do well to seek collaboration from artists, and they could create around a strong concept and promote the platform aswell as themselves. This could in turn lead to collaborations with coders and lead to truly wonderful creative projects that could advance the platform and the medium. Project top secret anyone? (http://topsecret.acclaim.com/)

There's plenty of food for thought around this, and the pandora team would do well to take it in it's arms to extend it's horizons past the homebrew community, and promote collaboration on a large variety of mediums.

Back