Love The Pandora, But Mines On Ebay

paddy said:
i also made sure things were done as properly as possible when i was there and emm there was one pandora that i had to point out that had missing led pipe ? i have no idea if they fixed that but i told them about it cough.
Would you be referring to my unit, there? ;) Do you mind if I'm skeptical, since Craig said in my review thread that he had no idea about it? :p

Last edited by a moderator:
@Paddy yeah, your TONE/TUDE was the main issue I was trying to address personally. It was coming across a bit hasty, a bit petulant. I haven't intentionally commented on the actual issues because I think everyone who has received a Pandora has been bending over backwards to like it an accept the quality for what it is. Yes, I saw ED come down on you like a ton of bricks and I probably commented about how I felt about that at the time (it would seem unlikely of me to keep quiet) but I concur with others - you bought from the UK store, the UK store should be the ones who sort you out - probably by phone or email.

It seems to me that everyone is trying to minimise any negative impact on OpenPandora by not issuing returns (which also means you lose your Pandora - for days, at least!) and by issuing negative posts about problems seperate to full reviews, in the hopes of getting the issues resolved and not having them "permantently" associated with a review (after all, hopefully the issues will get dealt with and in short order would make any review containing them meaningless/hopelessly invalid).

ED I assume was burnt out a bit - not surprising given his workload, stress, AND missing his flight - but I really see the potential for aggro to escalate online, with angry-sounding post followed by angry-sounding post untile someone 'spontaneously' explodes.

It IS irritating to see ED and Craig posting about other things while customer service issues go unresolved. I'm with you on that, wholeheartedly. Seeing Craig bashing the Canoe whilst not dealing with your issue must be galling to say the least. But I think emailing the Pandora Girls will get you sorted out much quicker than relying on Craig and EDs PMS ( ;) ) and I can't imagine just how full Craig and EDs PM boxes must be by now!

There was an implication in the message that I responded to that if you couldn't get the Pandora sorted (I suspect I used the term "fixed") to your satisfaction then you would eBay it. I found that an uncomfortable suggestion. I'm not generally against selling on eBay, for a profit or to retrieve money spent that is no longer "spare", and I am in no way against your returning it to OpenPandora for repair or refund, but it felt kindof unpleasant to suggest that soemthing wasn't good enough as-is so sell it to someone else - and dump the problem in their lap. That's how auctions get a reputation for selling duff gear. It probably wasn't what you were thinking at all/how you were thinking of it, but it did really look (to my jaded eyes) like you were nearly ready to dump a can of worms on some unsuspecting idiot eager to own the latest bit of kit :(

That - and that you get a one hundred percent Pandora - are my only concerns here.

Monk said:
---Snip---
Although I agree with you on pretty much everything, apart from ebay'ing.
As long as you make it clear what the state of the device is, I don't see a problem with it. Obviously should expect to loose some money on it.

I can see why people think paddy was blowing hot and cold.
I just think he's really enthusiastic and really likes the Pandora, but there's some hardware issues that he just can't and shouldn't have to live with. He just want's it sorted so he can get back to his love affair.
I think some people just think it's cosmetic things and may not have known what his actual problems was.

As everyone has said, the only thing you can do paddy is email the girls, and wait.

Oh and I believe you about the light pipe, it wouldn't surprise me if Craig just forgot in the hustle and bustle of everything.

PS monk, I think your reply to ED was very well written and thought out.

I understand the Pando didn't work out for you.

If I were you I'd wait a little longer because Apple isn't going to be the key player in tablet pc's anymore.
I predict their Ipad is going to be dropping sky high because of the lack of ports and the high price.

Thank you all for the support ,all of you :) especially Monk for backing em up in that other thred.

I have emailed the girls at openpandora and wait ,i know they are still busy with things ,i think OPt should have a proper place and info for this kind of thing ,it doesn't look good on forums becase i also do not want to put details of bad aspects of the pandora on a forum ,just doesn't look good.

thanks again guys

Na-Noo said:
Oh and I believe you about the light pipe, it wouldn't surprise me if Craig just forgot in the hustle and bustle of everything.
If that's the case, then I most sincerely apologise for my skepticism. :) I didn't consider that possibility.

gibberish said:
the hd2 has the same size and resolution screen in it!
if you struggled on pandora you'll struggle on that thing as well!
Indeed, I do have to agree with this. The Pandora and HD2 both have ~217 DPI screens, the Dell Streak is about 187 DPI. If you want larger pixels for mobile computing, you'll probably have to go with something with either the ability to change font sizes (like a pandora), a lower native resolution (like an iPhone), or a much larger screen, like a netbook.

Na-Noo said:
Although I agree with you on pretty much everything, apart from ebay'ing.
As long as you make it clear what the state of the device is, I don't see a problem with it. Obviously should expect to loose some money on it.

Well, yeah - with full disclosure you should be able to sell ALMOST anything on eBay, with no problem or objection. I remember watching, bemused, one UK TV journo collecting discarded old rope from beaches to make a point - that eBay sell old rope - only to prove that while you COULD (and there were buyers), it's not a quick route to becomming a millionaire.

I was perhaps a bit hastly in my attempts to prevent my post rivalling "War And PEace" - I certainly have no problem with an imp[erfect Pandora being sold on eBay (by paddy or anyone else) provided that it really is clear what is being sold - although in that instance I rather suspect that a refund from OpenPandora would be more cost effective.

I don't see a problem in Mark selling his Pandora on ebay, after all he paid for it, waited 2 years for it, it's his toy. He's probably gonna sell his ipad in a month as well once he gets bored of it ;)
Regarding support etc, I think it's important to understand there's the team building the whole thing, and the sale team, that takes the order and deals with returns. It's important to address issues to the correct team. If you have suggestions, questions, etc, the dev team is here, on the forums, and they're doing a pretty good job considering the amount of work they've got. Then if you want to return your pandora because it's faulty, just get in touch with the sales team. Maybe that's something that should be made clear on the Open Pandora website.

OP should probably have separate email addresses for sales@, softwaresupport@, hardwaresupport@, orders@, etc...but I believe that was suggested elsewhere. They'd probably all go to the same computer anyway, but at least the messages would be sorted a little bit. It's moot anyway, they probably don't have time to mess with their email accounts at the moment. Maybe before the 2nd batch.

Back to the topic, in addition to cranking up the font size, it may help to change colours to something more contrasty...dunno if that's possible, but I would think so. Still waiting for mine, so I don't know.

MrMarkWatson said:
Not really giving up, just moving on. I spend more time doing a bit of (productive) twittering, and run a couple of wordpress sites (www.bestsf.net), as well as doing a lot of work stuff. But whilst i hate the locked down nature of the iPad, it's a pleasure to use for browsing and mail...

Then why not get an Android tablet? http://www.merimobiles.com/Tablet_PC_s_s/205.htm. Some of them look quite nice. If Pandora didn't exist, I'd probably have gotten one of those.

Only 4 hours of use after waiting 2 years then straight to ebay? That's somewhat personally insulting, you were further ahead in the queue so you jumped on the ride even faster than I did, but it doesn't seem like you even really cared about the device, 4 hours wasn't enough time to give it chance - it doesn't look like you're much of a tinkerer or linux user I guess? Since you want to go with another device with identical screen size/resolution, that clearly uses higher dpi fonts and bigger UI buttons stock meant for finger use. Pretty much every bit of it is adjustable to your own preference - that's the heart of the Pandora ideal anyways.

I just don't understand, if you go any bigger than the Pandora you end up with a device that isn't pocketable. When you're carrying a bag to hold your gadget, it puts it in virtually the same situation as a laptop. With an iPad, you're still carrying around a bag for the thing and you're ridiculously limited as to what you can actually do with it. It just like a shiny object people want for the sake of it being shiny and different, even though it's a far step backwards in productivity. A 12" CULV based laptop will still get 6+ hours of battery life and infinitely more function, all while being roughly the same size.

For me only makes sense to either go with a smartphone/pandora like device for pocketed always-with-you use, or a 12" notebook for carrying in a bag when you know you'll need something more powerful with more function. Going the route of an iPad is just going for a big non-pocketable smartphone that can't make calls. The key to me atleast is portability - when I'm at home I barely use my gadgets other than tinkering, because I'd rather use my full 4.2ghz desktop with 2 24" monitors to be "productive".

I live in the United States and it won't let me bid on the item, is it impossible for me to bid?

frankly, i find this thread quite funny, in a geeky-self-irony kind of way. sorry for not being able to contribute accordingly.

Only selling in the UK, and second batch can go up to 400 bucks not looking good here :(

MrMarkWatson said:
So please don't think I'm a carpetbagger wanting to make a buck.
There are carpetbaggers in the UK? I did not know that. Learn something new every day.

Besides, if you were really a carpetbagger looking to make a buck, you would never have unboxed it, that makes it somewhat less than mint condition.

TylerAW said:
Only selling in the UK, and second batch can go up to 400 bucks not looking good here :(
This auction is for everyone.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Pandora-Open-Source-Handheld-Gaming-System-NEW-Wiz-GP2X-/320543889173?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Video_Games&hash=item4aa1e79715

This is my personal auction, sorry for the high international shipping cost, but it will be sent express, so I can follow it, and know once it arrives.

Chris

jumpman said:
TylerAW said:
This auction is for everyone.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Pandora-Open-Source-Handheld-Gaming-System-NEW-Wiz-GP2X-/320543889173?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Video_Games&hash=item4aa1e79715

This is my personal auction, sorry for the high international shipping cost, but it will be sent express, so I can follow it, and know once it arrives.

Chris

The description says unopened, how did you take that picture :D

Elanzer said:
Only 4 hours of use after waiting 2 years then straight to ebay? That's somewhat personally insulting,

Personally? What exactly does it have to do with you?

it doesn't seem like you even really cared about the device,

I'm sure the poor Pandora is feeling extremely unloved. Or... not.

He doesn't need to 'care' about the device. It is not a pet. It's an inanimate object that he's paid his money and now he owns it. He doesn't want it any more so now he's selling it.

I was considering getting an additional Pandora to ebay - but having seen the prices that they're attracting at the moment; I'm glad I didn't.

Back