Love The Pandora, But Mines On Ebay

MrMarkWatson

Still Fresh
Hi Pandora Peeps

I'm loving my Pandora - a great bit of kit, and for the right person it's going to be super duper brill. But my old eyes, now in their sixth decade, just can't cope with the small screen, even with my glasses on. So, its the iPad for me for browing, and I'll be looking at things like the Streak or a HTC HD2 for my mobile computing, and the retro gaming may have to be given up on (I'm into my 50s now, so maybe I should grow up!)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200479755785

the hd2 has the same size and resolution screen in it!
if you struggled on pandora you'll struggle on that thing as well!

Damn, that's a shame. :(

Curious though, how are the Streak or HD2 going to be any better in terms of screen size? Is it a bigger / more eye-friendly UI you're after?

[edit] ninja'd etc

Would it help you to know that you can increase the sizes of the GUI in great ways to make things easier to read? I think the font/icon-size selections made by the OP team are pretty conservative/PC-desktop'ish .. if you bump up the font size and the icon zoom level, the whole thing becomes quite a bit more easy on the eyes. I did this on my Pandora mostly because I want to be able to use my fingers for the menu and icon selection, but I think it would be worth trying to tweak this before you give up the Pandora!

Will be sad to see an oldie giving it up!

Why make a video and post on YouTube?
The put your pandora on ebay?

Must admit getting annoyed that people are doing this - getting pandoras and posting on ebay - suppose it was envitable - just wish the first pandoras went to those who actually posted stuff on forums and did actually pre-order early - does not appear to always be the case

I can see his point about looking at other toys such as Ipad as that is what I am doing currently

Gruso said:
Damn, that's a shame. :(

Curious though, how are the Streak or HD2 going to be any better in terms of screen size? Is it a bigger / more eye-friendly UI you're after?

[edit] ninja'd etc

I got the impression the HD2 had a bigger screen, and I'm sure the streak is. Certainly what I buy next will have to have a bigger screen. Now I've got an iPad when I go back to the iTouch that feels very, very cramped screenwise.

Just wonder whether I need another eye test to see if my eyes are getting worse 8-(

Last edited by a moderator:
torpor said:
Would it help you to know that you can increase the sizes of the GUI in great ways to make things easier to read? I think the font/icon-size selections made by the OP team are pretty conservative/PC-desktop'ish .. if you bump up the font size and the icon zoom level, the whole thing becomes quite a bit more easy on the eyes. I did this on my Pandora mostly because I want to be able to use my fingers for the menu and icon selection, but I think it would be worth trying to tweak this before you give up the Pandora!

Will be sad to see an oldie giving it up!

Not really giving up, just moving on. I spend more time doing a bit of (productive) twittering, and run a couple of wordpress sites (www.bestsf.net), as well as doing a lot of work stuff. But whilst i hate the locked down nature of the iPad, it's a pleasure to use for browsing and mail...

Ahhh, so what you really mean is your wife kicked off about the price! :lol:

In my best Geordie accent: "It's eetha tha ayepad or the pandorah!"

RajTakhar said:
Why make a video and post on YouTube?
The put your pandora on ebay?

Must admit getting annoyed that people are doing this - getting pandoras and posting on ebay - suppose it was envitable - just wish the first pandoras went to those who actually posted stuff on forums and did actually pre-order early - does not appear to always be the case

Just to be clear, which is why I'm posting here, is that I did preorder early and have kept track of the project and made postings to PandoraPress. I also flagged up on this forum the other day that the UK people needed to be told that the power supply went in horizontally, which Craig replied to and subsequentlly tweeted about. So please don't think I'm a carpetbagger wanting to make a buck. I made the video because people like to see unboxing videos,and I like to make videos, so it seemed sensible. If it wasn't for the screen/eyesight issue I could well have kept the Pandora.

I personally did have an issue with the team accepting orders for more than one pandora from the same address, which is clearly down to people wanting a second to have the option to sell on at a profit.

Torpor is right. Go to "look and feel" and increase the heck out of font and icon size. A phone won't make you any happier. And those Android phones are a bugger when it comes to energy efficiency, the OS itself isn't really stable (at least 1.5 and 1.6 aren't, depending on Apps) and you have to jailbreak to get root.

ste_167 said:
Ahhh, so what you really mean is your wife kicked off about the price! :lol:

In my best Geordie accent: "It's eetha tha ayepad or the pandorah!"

Not far off. A bit of "I've yah divvent sell that Pandora focker, then yer not getting annuther piece of kit for a lang time, bonnie lad"

Mark, maybe you should edit out www.open-pandora.org
One other person had a Pandora on eBay and they cancelled the item, cause eBay doesn't allow external links.

edit: NVM, I didn't recall correctly.

Nik1 said:
Ebay did not seem to like that I put gp32x and pandorapress.org in my description so I had to redo listing :/ I was going to just revise the description, but there was already a bid so I could not. Funny thing is notification to remove those links was sent to me after the bid, but of course the Ebay rep blames it on "Internet traffic."

Looking at the way that queue positions have moved, with maybe 50% of the very first original sell-out orders not being renewed (hence Feb09 being currently about 1500), anyone who has stayed with the project for long enough to have already received one has made a significant contribution to the fact that production is actually happening. Orders seem to have picked up again in the last weeks, so people now have the option of waiting at least a month, taking a broken nub, or buying off ebay. Has to be seen what premium over the £210 early pre-order price this one makes.

RajTakhar said:

I think it sounds like he just got one to then sell on ebay and try to make a profit on ;_

You get the same with concert tickets "I bought these tickets 12 months ago but now sadly i have a wedding to go to ..... so heres a huge buy it now price...' etc ;)

Shame !

I bought two .. one for me, one for development. No way I'm selling these fuckers now that I've finally got them in my hands! :)

To be truthful though, I am doing as much as I can for the community while I'm at it. I'm sorry if my buying two means some of you have to wait an extra week, but thems the breaks when you don't get your order in within the first 10 seconds, like I did. :)

</smarmy_bastard_mode>

Wow, maybe I'm just not that cynical...

I was grateful for his vid, and his input.
To say he's just done it for exposer to sell his item, well even if I could force myself to think that, I'm still happy because it seemed like a balanced review and nice vid to me!
All these people baying for reviews and vids, and he did one.

Anyone buying it will have a good idea of what their getting, I don't think someone would buy it without knowing anything about the Pandora.

So for whatever reason he thinks it's not for him, should he just keep it and let it gather dust?
Do think it may be worth playing with the settings first though,
oh well mate, shame you don't think it's for you after all.

I*m with Na-Noo :)

Selling a Pandora is perfectly ok, imo. Even if someone bought 100 to sell them, it would still be ok. There were units left for ages and everyone had a chance to get one.

Stop the moaning.

I am thinking of selling mine as well ,i have a few issues with my pandora ,i love my pandora but yes i have a few problems that i have asked OPT to deal with and both Craig and Ed dont seem to answer my PM's yet they have been on the forums and answer forum posts.
I want some of the more important parts of my pandora replaced/fixed and i have kindly requested this via PM ,i have also stated that i can wait till they clear their feet before dealing with my pandora or simply replace my pandora at some point in the near future ,if i do not get the response i deserve i will sell my pandora ,simple as that.

Paddy

Back