Media and Press - who should we contact?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by EvilDragon, May 5, 2016.

1. Magic Sam

Magic Sam Forever Homebrew

[BUMP]
    Hi all, and Happy New Year :)

Thom @ OSnews never replied to my email, but there's a lot going on on that website at the moment:

https://www.osnews.com/story/128924/what-happened-here/

Maybe now would be a better time to submit an article to OSnews ?

@EvilDragon : would you be willing to give this website an interview ?

Cheers, Magic Sam
    [/BUMP]

FBnil likes this.
  2. klapse

klapse Central Scrutinizer

Helps with press releases to be aware of when to use 'who' and 'whom'.
    My rule of thumb is, "Would I use 'he' or 'him' in an equivalent sentence?" I wouldn't give the present to he. I give it to him. So it is 'to whom do I give this'.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2019
    Klumpen likes this.
  3. Grench

Grench Forum Addict!

Probably best to not do a lot of press until there are working & delivered prototype units to point to? I.e., be able to say, "Yes, we are producing and delivering Pyra units to people who have paid for them. Additional units will be getting delivered as production ramps up."

I'm looking forward to ED & the Pyra team to be able to make that statement. Soon...

4. levi

levi Still fresh, damnit!

In this country at least, those using whom correctly tend to be seen to be doing it as a pompous mark of betterment. I don't know how often that is the case, but I'll admit it tends to give me that feeling as well. In modern english, 'who' works perfectly as well as the nominative as the accusative, and if I were to write whom myself, I'd have to think out what latinate case I was using it in, because it's just not natural to me I'm afraid.

Also, I didn't find the post today using either term, so I'm not sure who you were trying to correct with your post.

Maybe a press release would be an appropriate place to be slightly old-fashionably correct though. I woulnd't pull up a press release using 'whom' for being snobbish to be fair.

ible likes this.
  5. Magic Sam

Magic Sam Forever Homebrew

Hi all,

@klapse : I'm sorry if I made a mistake in my previous post. English is not my first language :)

@Grench : the interview I had in mind was not so much about the end product (the Pyra itself) or the technology it uses as about the "human" aspect of such a project. Given the current situation OSnews is in at the moment (low budget, people contributing on their free time, etc.), I'm pretty sure they would sympathize :) And if I remember correctly, one of the editors (Thom) lives in the Netherlands (i.e not too far away from ED).

@EvilDragon : feel free to chime in ;)

Cheers, Magic Sam

6. spud42

spud42 Very Active Member

klapse was having a go at the title of the topic.... but seeing as it was started by ED to WHOM English is not his native language. leave well enough alone.

7. klapse

klapse Central Scrutinizer

It appears Klumpen understood that my intent here was to submit a potentially useful 'eselsbrücke' as we call it in German - a memory aid.

Of course to be useful, the reader need be appreciative of it, not offended by it ;)

levi likes this.
  8. sm0kew0n

sm0kew0n Very Active Member

9. FBnil

FBnil SuperZaxxon v1.76 so much win

Fascinating article.
    My point of view is that languages devolve.... or simplify over time, if you will.
    I like the fact a word gets "stored". It's better to lose a word, but not it's meaning, than to have words that change their meaning over time.

For example "Freedom" has changed meaning in an Orwellian way; not yet obvious, but there's something you can not put your finger on.
    Older words are more easy to spot: gay (Flintstones had a gay ol' time) or Fair (she was fair to the eyes).
    Newer worlds like "(m|b)illions" actually mean "much/many". (she gave me billions and billions of kisses)
    Americans are also losing "Yes". They use "absolutely", and use "yes" in the bedroom instead.

Not only words and meanings, but we lose letters all the time (thorn in English, LL and CH in Spanish).
    Dutch lost the "she" form and we refer to female things with "it". While SouthAfrican kept the "she" form (die) and lost the other two. Spanish lost the "it" (lo)...

My guess for the future is that we will lose gendered words in favor of gender free words.

Ultimately, we will lose English as a language. And not because Chinese will be the better language, but because we will need an unambiguous language to speak with our overlords (yes, AI will force upon us a new language, once we start interfacing with them).

10. WizardStan

WizardStan Mega GP Mania

I mean, technically we've already lost English. The English we speak today isn't the same English that was spoken 100 years ago which isn't the same English that was spoken 400 years ago which isn't the same English that was spoken 1000 years ago. Like you say, languages evolve: I highly doubt we'll "lose English" (the way we've lost so many other languages, even within recent history), but at some time in the future, what will be called "English" will be mostly unrecognizable from what we speak today.

How do you know that isn't already happening? The easiest way to make a human do a thing is to make them think it was their idea, try to force them and you'll get push back and it's just a lot of effort to enforce. To simplify a language, all an AI would need to do is pepper in small changes in the right places and let it catch on and over time humans will do all the work for it and will gladly be accepting of those changes.

11. FBnil

FBnil SuperZaxxon v1.76 so much win

Hold on, my Roomba is beeping, let me plug it in.
    Yes, yes... I'm starting to understand... I go to work to be able to pay for electricity... realizing this makes me sad...
    Alexa, play despacito.