Media and Press - who should we contact?

I think articles like that might point the wrong people away from the Pyra, which is a good thing, if you ask me. Imagine a Bild reader buying an "incredible gaming machine, desktop replacement, audio player and phone" and getting the Pyra. I wouldn't want to handle that. But for me, it works because I know what I get.

I wouldn't just want to send review units out to people who are just gonna kiss it's ass all day. I would prefer reviewers who are gonna give it their honest opinion. I would like to see Jupiter Broadcasting do a review on the pyra on one of their shows maybe.

I wouldn't just want to send review units out to people who are just gonna kiss it's ass all day. I would prefer reviewers who are gonna give it their honest opinion. I would like to see Jupiter Broadcasting do a review on the pyra on one of their shows maybe.

I suspect that the concerns above revolve around making sure that reviewers understand the project before getting handed a unit to, 'review'. When receiving an Android or Windows or iOS device, there is an expectation that the device and software are fully realized where the expected changes through time are updates and bugfixes.

The Pyra is different. The initial release units may be hardware that is just out of beta but we should expect software that is alpha grade - at least at first. For example if the reviewer heard, 'it has telephony capabilities' and reviews it as a 'phone' with the expectation of loading their contacts over to it and sending/receiving calls, taking pictures and expecting Google Maps level of navigation, they're going to review it very harshly. If they're into 'fashion & style', forget it. Anyone who could 'score points' by thrashing the device in the cruelest possible manner - not who we're looking for.

On the other hand, if you get someone who understands that the Pyra - at least initially - is a hardware platform for the development of the software to make it 'work'. Basic hardware functionality and Linux OS out of the box, other software to come later. If reviewed as a hacker/developer/retrogamer/emulation platform, that might be better. But - it needs to be emphasized that it is the realization of hardware that will enable the beginning of the community-side software development stage.

Yes, quite a bit of software development has gong on behind the scenes - likely much more than I am aware of - and thank you one and all who have done so. But - I think that the time for -hardware- reviews may be soon, but the expectation of most reviewers is 'complete device' including software - and I don't know that the device is, 'there yet'.

Well, whose been saying it's got telephony capabilities? There's potential in that direction, but all that's been confirmed to work right now is the cellular modem IIRC, and that's it's primary intended use right now.

Well, whose been saying it's got telephony capabilities? There's potential in that direction, but all that's been confirmed to work right now is the cellular modem IIRC, and that's it's primary intended use right now.

Exactly my point. In the 'what will you do first' thread, there are people in this community who are somehow under the impression that this is, 'a phone' as they are planning to 'load contacts' and use it like a phone. Most of us understand what we're buying. We need to make sure that people reviewing the Pyra, though, know that it is not 'a phone'.

I know it won't be able to work as a phone right away, but it's definitely technically capable of it.

I know it won't be able to work as a phone right away, but it's definitely technically capable of it.

Right - the device is being built and sold based on technical capabilities - many of which will not be fully realized initially. Which is kind of the thrill of the product for many of us. The wrong reviewer would see this as a fault - that the device, "can't do what it's advertised to be capable of," without the understanding that the software to do many of those things hasn't caught up yet - much of which might or might not happen. I find it exciting. To a 'pro Youtube reviewer' that could be seen as a general fail instead of an exciting opportunity.

Right - the device is being built and sold based on technical capabilities - many of which will not be fully realized initially. Which is kind of the thrill of the product for many of us. The wrong reviewer would see this as a fault - that the device, "can't do what it's advertised to be capable of," without the understanding that the software to do many of those things hasn't caught up yet - much of which might or might not happen. I find it exciting. To a 'pro Youtube reviewer' that could be seen as a general fail instead of an exciting opportunity.
Indeed! I also plan to try to write a curses based phone app using scripting of some sort.

Lunduke has some pretty strong pull it seems these days. Get a Pyra to him when general orders open up, and I'm sure it'll spread. Even better if you can get on the show.

Also, he's with Linux Journal now as well, so it would be good to get something in there too.

From the way he talks about his nokia n810, pocket chip, noodle pi and similar devices (which i suspect he collects :p) he will probably love the pyra, even if ED doesn't send him one I'm sure he will buy it for himself if he ears about it.

I bet he has never eared about the pyra or pandora, otherwise he would get a pandora and proceed to praise it to heaven at every chance.

I suspect that the concerns above revolve around making sure that reviewers understand the project before getting handed a unit to, 'review'. When receiving an Android or Windows or iOS device, there is an expectation that the device and software are fully realized where the expected changes through time are updates and bugfixes.

The Pyra is different. The initial release units may be hardware that is just out of beta but we should expect software that is alpha grade - at least at first. For example if the reviewer heard, 'it has telephony capabilities' and reviews it as a 'phone' with the expectation of loading their contacts over to it and sending/receiving calls, taking pictures and expecting Google Maps level of navigation, they're going to review it very harshly. If they're into 'fashion & style', forget it. Anyone who could 'score points' by thrashing the device in the cruelest possible manner - not who we're looking for.

On the other hand, if you get someone who understands that the Pyra - at least initially - is a hardware platform for the development of the software to make it 'work'. Basic hardware functionality and Linux OS out of the box, other software to come later. If reviewed as a hacker/developer/retrogamer/emulation platform, that might be better. But - it needs to be emphasized that it is the realization of hardware that will enable the beginning of the community-side software development stage.

Yes, quite a bit of software development has gong on behind the scenes - likely much more than I am aware of - and thank you one and all who have done so. But - I think that the time for -hardware- reviews may be soon, but the expectation of most reviewers is 'complete device' including software - and I don't know that the device is, 'there yet'.

Yes I understand that and I deferentially wouldn't want to send the Pyra to some phone reviewer that's just gonna dismiss it based on it having an old SoC or the OS. I just want to also make sure that review units is sent out to people who are also willing to give constructive criticism of the Pyra. The software is definitely gonna be far form perfect, maybe review units should be sent out a year after the Pyra has come out to give the software some time to mature to a level where it can be presented in a more accurate light.

Last edited:
Yes I understand that and I deferentially wouldn't want to send the Pyra to some phone reviewer that's just gonna dismiss it based on it having an old SoC or the OS. I just want to also make sure that review units is sent out to people who are also willing to give constructive criticism of the Pyra. The software is definitely gonna be far form perfect, maybe review units should be sent out a year after the Pyra has come out to give the software some time to mature to a level where it can be presented in a more accurate light.
There may be something to be said for that approach, but I would argue that it would be good to get word out to people who would be interested in developing software for it. To that end reviews that recognise the potential of the hardware for what it can do, as opposed to what the software currently supports would be invaluable. Even with people like ptitseb outputting new titles at an amazing rate like he has for Pandora it's going to take time to build a decent software ecosystem for the Pyra.

-Neelix

From the way he talks about his nokia n810, pocket chip, noodle pi and similar devices (which i suspect he collects :p) he will probably love the pyra, even if ED doesn't send him one I'm sure he will buy it for himself if he ears about it.

I bet he has never eared about the pyra or pandora, otherwise he would get a pandora and proceed to praise it to heaven at every chance.
I'm sure he would love the Pyra, but I don't think he will get one himself. All the stuff he buys is really cheap, I don't think he would pay the asking price for a Pyra.

Lunduke has some pretty strong pull it seems these days. Get a Pyra to him when general orders open up, and I'm sure it'll spread. Even better if you can get on the show.

Also, he's with Linux Journal now as well, so it would be good to get something in there too.

It's strange, before I started browsing the net on my Switch, I was just getting my Pyra news fix through the YouTube app, and Lunduke's show was actually one of the most recent videos to mention Pyra. He says it will be great when it's out, and he has confidence in ED to deliver, but he's not sure when delivery will be, because people have been telling him for quite a few years that it's "almost out". Oops.

Well, all's well that ends well.

Back