• The box is open, enjoy it

Votes: 6 12.8%
  • Take the controls

Votes: 18 38.3%
  • Take control

Votes: 6 12.8%
  • Outsmart your phone.

Votes: 7 14.9%
  • Not happy with any of these; have posted below.

Votes: 9 19.1%
  • Two months

Votes: 3 6.4%

• Total voters

You can't question someone's competence just because you somehow haven't heard a not-uncommon figure of speech, you know... ;)

Well, it may be not uncommon, but...

http://www.google.co...1l3.10.1.2l16l0

It doesn't seem to be all that common either.

It might be stupid of me to tend to question someone's competence when it's really just my ignorance, but that's not the point, really. The point is I don't see this slogan being at all helpful with the marketing of the Pandora, at least to people as ignorant as me.

EDIT: Maybe it's just the context. It sounds to me more like a call for responsibility than a statement of freedom.

Last edited by a moderator:
When I said "not uncommon", I didn't mean that there's "only" almost two million hits for it on Google. :lol:

Could you explain how it sounds like a call for responsibility, though, please? (I'm genuinely curious. There are a ton of ways it can be read in relation to the Pandora hardware and software itself, and I'm honestly struggling to see that one.)

Could you explain how it sounds like a call for responsibility, though, please? (I'm genuinely curious. There are a ton of ways it can be read in relation to the Pandora hardware and software itself, and I'm honestly struggling to see that one.)

I'm imagining a movie scene where the driver or pilot tells the other guy to "take the controls" so he can shoot the aliens trying to kill them.

Or something like that.

I'm not saying that's what it sounds like with the Pandora, it just seems... out of place when you use it to imply freedom.

In the freedom-of-use sense, it's implying that the user is in charge. ;) (A lot of the others have already been mentioned, so I don't see any need to go over those again. :lol: )

I got one:

4424-96-20090814223437.png

Open Pandora

Think outside the box.

"Think outside the box" being the slogan.

But using a cliched phase as our slogan is thinking inside the box...

...That's what 'Think inside the pocket' was about

How about some of these:

Works the way you want it to

Your choice, your freedom

THE little black box

Convergence, realized

Why compromise?

I think my favorite out of those is "Why compromise", {discuss} {any other favorites?}

Mainly because that's a good description of the Pandora:

• Battery life vs thinness
  • Fingerprint resistance vs looking shiny
  • Good sound hardware vs price
  • Real controls and keyboard vs single-cuboidy neatness
  • Using a stylus vs pretty piece of glass
  • Full USB and SDXC card slotS = versitility vs size and smooth lines
  • Doing everthing vs simple firmware
  • Awesomeness vs getting one quickly

We're not failing in both directions by saying "there's an incy wincy proprietary slot on the side which will do one of those things at a time if you pay more"

also, It makes it implies that any other product you might by would be worse!

Should I replace some on the poll?

Does poll editing delete votes?

a play on "think outside the box" is an interesting idea. It's a common enough cliche that most everyone knows what it means and it captures the freedom the pandora gives it's users along with the idea of breaking away from the mainstream school of thought or devices that pandora is in competition with. not to mention the mental connection with Pandora's Box. However, blinky is right, it needs a clever and unique alteration to work. something like:

live outside the box

play outside the box

exist outside the box

believe outside the box

prevail outside the box

command outside the box

The box that thinks outside the box

The box that thinks outside itself

control inside the box

sorry for any of my bad suggestions, just brain storming here. None of these click as well as "take the controls" imo.

how bout a play on "the doors" or William Blake more specifically:

when you open the box, you see things as they really are :lol:

OpenPandora: Think beyond the box.

suggests that OP is about more than a single umpc-retrogame-thingamabob

"Pandora: Yeah, it can do that, too."

This stems from an idea for a commercial I had:

INTERIOR, BURGER/FAST FOOD RESTAURANT

(We see a YOUNG WOMAN approach the counter. A CLERK is standing at the cash register, waiting expectantly)

YOUNG WOMAN: I'd like two large nubs, one widescreen, a large music, a slice of retro, a large order of indie, and a side of freedom, please. Hold the mustard.

CLERK: Will that be for here or to go?

YOUNG WOMAN: To go.

(We see the CLERK turn around and pull a Pandora from one of the heated food shelves behind him, then turn to face the woman again and place the console on counter in front of her.)

CUT TO:

PANDORA LOGO CARD WITH THE SUBTEXT "Yeah, it can do that, too."

Pandora: Volcano proof!

Play inside the box!

Open the box! Open your mind!

Open the box! Blow your mind!

Open the box! Kiss goodbye to your freetime!

Order the box! Blow your savings!

Order the box! Lose your sanity!

Pandora: Play it again, Sam Coupe!

"The future of retro." = niche of this niche device

Retro is only a portion of what the device does, people. Right now emulation and ports do make up the most of the gaming control functionality, so perhaps that's why this phrase hits so hard (it is indeed clever). But many that read it will get the message of "Only retro" or "Mostly retro" and get turned off. It is a full-fledged Linux box!

"Full-fledged Linux box" also not a good marketing phrase, by the way, as the audience to that phrase will simply think it's a flying penguin trapped in a box. Quite the PR nightmare.

"Take the controls" is software-agnostic, and clearly the best choice for the awesome hardware that is the Open Pandora. :)

well I voted for "take the controls", but the motto from post #11 tickled my sad under devloped mind

"Pandora: Yeah, it can do that, too."

This stems from an idea for a commercial I had:

INTERIOR, BURGER/FAST FOOD RESTAURANT

(We see a YOUNG WOMAN approach the counter. A CLERK is standing at the cash register, waiting expectantly)

YOUNG WOMAN: I'd like two large nubs, one widescreen, a large music, a slice of retro, a large order of indie, and a side of freedom, please. Hold the mustard.

CLERK: Will that be for here or to go?

YOUNG WOMAN: To go.

(We see the CLERK turn around and pull a Pandora from one of the heated food shelves behind him, then turn to face the woman again and place the console on counter in front of her.)

CUT TO:

PANDORA LOGO CARD WITH THE SUBTEXT "Yeah, it can do that, too."

Shouldn't there be a cute penguin in all that?

CLERK: "and the penguin is free."

PENGUIN jumps over counter, picks up the Pandora, puts in a bag and hands it to YOUNG WOMAN

PENGUIN: awrk!

YOUNG WOMAN: "Oh.. Thank you"

PENGUIN follows YOUNG WOMAN out of shop

"The future of retro." = niche of this niche device

Retro is only a portion of what the device does, people. Right now emulation and ports do make up the most of the gaming control functionality, so perhaps that's why this phrase hits so hard (it is indeed clever). But many that read it will get the message of "Only retro" or "Mostly retro" and get turned off. It is a full-fledged Linux box!

"Full-fledged Linux box" also not a good marketing phrase, by the way, as the audience to that phrase will simply think it's a flying penguin trapped in a box. Quite the PR nightmare.

"Take the controls" is software-agnostic, and clearly the best choice for the awesome hardware that is the Open Pandora. :)
Completely agree! "The future of retro" may be a good line to use for targeted advertising at an event like replay, where everyone there has an interest in retro gaming, but I don't think it suitable for general advertising.

Pandora! So open you'll fall inside.

For me the best so far is: The Future of Retro.

F*** you, I'm Pandora'ing!

Rip off from Carl's Jr. in Idiocracy. :D

Ok, so instead of trying to decide on the absolute best slogan... Let's pick say... 10, and break those down into appropriateness regarding our different target markets. Perhaps we should decide how many Target markets we have? ... And make sure we have at least one solid slogan for each of them.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk

Back