My Mp Pandora

WizardStan said:
Over the years, there have been additions and removals from the x86 instruction set. Kings Quest 5 used one of these instructions that was added with the 486 to ensure it was being run on a sufficient computer. This instruction was later removed with either the Pentium or P2 . As a result, even if you install DOS and Win3.11 (or Win95), you cannot play Kings Quest 5 on anything other than a 486. I discovered this quite unfortunately not too long ago.
Point is that there are programs which cannot be run on modern CPUs.

The only instruction set that officially removes anything is x86-64. But that's a totally different operating mode and the CPUs still support the old modes.

There were some undocumented/essentially illegal instructions that were scrapped. Anyone who would rely on such a thing quite honestly got what was coming to them, although it's the fans who ultimately have to pay.

The only such undocumented/later removed instruction on 486 is the so-called cmpxchg486, but even then not all 486's support it and nothing later than 486 does. Since I've played King's Quest 5 on a Pentium I know it couldn't have been relying on this instruction, so it must have been something else breaking it. If it were really something like you describe I'm sure the game would have been quickly hacked by someone to fix it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Craigx,

just a quick request, if it's possible - could you try to view pdf file and tell us how it looks? I'd really like to read ebooks, if it doesn't strain eyes too much.

WizardStan said:
Tom` said:
That's broadly true, with the caveat that early DOS programs generally hit the hardware directly and so e.g. Windows XP doesn't like them much (and Vista and 7 won't run them at all), but if you pop in a DOS floppy (FreeDOS boot CD, now, I guess, since not many computers have floppy drives) with the program, it'll probably run fine, unless it requires specific hardware (sound cards, etc.) - I haven't really tried this with games, but I have successfully run DOS console applications on an AMD64-based laptop.
Over the years, there have been additions and removals from the x86 instruction set. Kings Quest 5 used one of these instructions that was added with the 486 to ensure it was being run on a sufficient computer. This instruction was later removed with either the Pentium or P2 . As a result, even if you install DOS and Win3.11 (or Win95), you cannot play Kings Quest 5 on anything other than a 486. I discovered this quite unfortunately not too long ago.
Point is that there are programs which cannot be run on modern CPUs.

This statement is not true. I first played kings quest 5 VGA edition on my 386 16mhz machine and it ran perfectly. I also ran it in windows 98 second edition on both a p3 as well as a and k6-3 as well just fine. They didn't make it 486 compatible only since the 386 was more than enough. I'm willing to bet the evga version could be played on a 286, but never tried. The first adventure game I remember being to slow to run well on my 386 16mhz was kyrandia 2.

Now that we've seen several videos running XFCE, what I'd really like to see in motion is: Pmenu, and GAMES ! SNES, MAME, Amiga, FPS's with dual nubs, and so on. Preferably, games that cannot be emulated or played easily on other systems.

Mia said:
Yes, I wanna see Amiga games - especially those that didn't run too well on UAE4All on (overclocked) GP2X or Wiz, like:

Apidya
All Terrain Racing
Battle Squadron PAL version
(not in TOSEC, uses 28% bigger playfield than the inferior, common NTSC-version)
Lionheart
Lotus III
SWIV
Turrican 3

Wouldn't harm to also show Turrican II as it's (almost) everyone's favorite Amiga game (even though it worked well on an overclocked GP2X already (or so I've heard)).

Balzac2m said:
craigix said:
Hopefully several of you will drop by my house to try one out before then.

As I am from germany that would be pretty hard but I really hope ED invites us in aswell. It's under 4 hours on train and I don't have to pay it. Please ED, invite us!

Sure, you can come around, if you want to. Why not? ;)

Last edited:
EvilDragon said:
Balzac2m said:
craigix said:
Hopefully several of you will drop by my house to try one out before then.

As I am from germany that would be pretty hard but I really hope ED invites us in aswell. It's under 4 hours on train and I don't have to pay it. Please ED, invite us!

Sure, you can come around, if you want to. Why not? ;)

Bah, would take me over seven hours to drive there. Would if I could, though!

I am not going to ED... I might steal his pandora :)
So I´ll better stay home and wait...

Tell you what I hate? Living in Australia.
I would totally come visit you Craig. Totally.

EDIT: omg i put a . instead of a ? omg.

I think it's incredible that Craig and Ed are inviting us to their homes to come and see the first real Pandoras. If this doesn't fill you with confidence in the project then I don't know what will. It's just a shame I'm so bloody far away from either.

Yeah. If they wanted to give us all equal opportunities to see the Pandora/s, they'd mail some out to the people that can't drive/fly to Craig's house.

craigix said:
I did fall asleep.

I'm awake again. Going to set up the latest OS and do some N64.

Welcome to the world of tomorrrroooowww!

is that really necessary... that teasing...
As long as you´re not filming it I don´t wanna know what you´re doing :)
Its so mean that you can play with your pandora and we can´t...

DO IT QUICK MR CRAIG. WE'RE ALL WAITING ON YOU.
Seriously, I just want to see you eat some more noodles.

Back