N64 Emulator In The Work For Pandora

Despellanion said:
Rockthesmurf said:
Is your question why would someone want to emulate a system that you personally believe is not a very good system? If so then the answer is because they probably have a different opinion to you. Seems pretty straight forward to me?

Steve
Yeah, I guess so. I'm just surprised that the requests for a N64 emulator is that high.

There are easily 20 great games for the N64. I consider emulating as soon as a system has 5 good games. And some of the gems of the system make the system a must-have for emulation.

Hit these up for reading:
http://www.racketboy.com/retro/nintendo/n64/2008/08/nintendo-64-101-a-beginners-guide.html
http://www.racketboy.com/retro/nintendo/n64/2008/06/the-best-n64-games-that-still-matter-today.html
http://www.racketboy.com/retro/2007/01/best-undiscovered-nintendo-64-n64.html
http://www.racketboy.com/retro/nintendo/n64/2008/01/the-rarest-and-most-valuable-n64-games.html
http://www.racketboy.com/retro/nintendo/n64/2007/11/goldeneye-007-ten-years-later.html

-God Ginrai

Last edited by a moderator:
scottm said:
Despellanion said:
Yeah, I guess so. I'm just surprised that the requests for a N64 emulator is that high.

You are joking right? The N64 sold nearly 33 million units in it's life time, and had some of the best games ever written (GoldenEye, Banjo and Kazooie, Super Mario 64, Zelda: OOT, ExciteBike 64 etc etc)
you forget perfect dark!!!!! :eek:
I play many games on this high end gaming computer, but perfect dark is just so....perfect, that it beats all the other games.

Despellanion said:
Yeah I'm probably gonna get flamed for this but..
Why all the hype over a N64 emulator? N64 was a crappy system back when it was released and it's still a crappy system today. That's my opinion. I'm much more excited over a Playstation emulator.

Why all the hype over a Playstation emulator? Playstation was a crappy system back when it was released and it's still a crappy system today. That's my opinion. I'm much more excited over a Nintendo 64 emulator.

Playstation was a crappy system back when it was released

Be serious. It was the first real example of a true 3D console in your home (and not a poor expansion pack) and helped revolutionise the gaming industry and people's perceptions of how far games have come and could go. Sure, by todays standards it's not great, but at the time it was revolutionary. And developers and users loved it. The day the PS1 arrived is the day that arcades started dying. It was a real arcade in your home.

I love the N64 too, but don't under-estimate how far the PlayStation helped to shape the future of gaming.

People who have shit connections, and low space. BECAUSE, YOU KNOW, YOU RIP THEM AT YOUR FRIENDS HOUSE AS HE HAS THE TECH, AND YOU HAVE FORGOT THE USB PEN DRIVE SO HE CAN UPLOAD THEM AND YOU DOWNLOAD.

PS1 iso. 600mb~

N64 ROM. Cartridge size varied from 4 MB to 64 MB

(naw)mcx said:
People who have shit connections, and low space.

PS1 iso. 600mb~

You can rip your own PS1 games, not so easy to do so for N64 ones (in fact, these days it's damn near impossible to find a device that can do this).

What's that, no one is interested in playing games they own? Never mind.

Exophase said:
(naw)mcx said:
People who have shit connections, and low space.

PS1 iso. 600mb~

You can rip your own PS1 games, not so easy to do so for N64 ones (in fact, these days it's damn near impossible to find a device that can do this).

To be quite honest, I pretty much own all the good games for n64. Not the equipment to rip them though.

iprice said:
Be serious. It was the first real example of a true 3D console in your home (and not a poor expansion pack) 
  1. Whoosh
  2. cpcBU.jpg

iprice said:

Be serious. It was the first real example of a true 3D console in your home (and not a poor expansion pack) and helped revolutionise the gaming industry and people's perceptions of how far games have come and could go. Sure, by todays standards it's not great, but at the time it was revolutionary. And developers and users loved it. The day the PS1 arrived is the day that arcades started dying. It was a real arcade in your home.

I love the N64 too, but don't under-estimate how far the PlayStation helped to shape the future of gaming.

Notice how he worded his post. All he did was replace where the other person said "N64" with the word "Playstation" and vice versa. It was to point out that there are people who feel the same in the opposite way. I personally feel that the PS1, while it had some decent games, was a horrible system in comparison to the N64. However, I still plan to give it a shot now that I can try its games handheld.

Exophase said:

I am: OoT, 1080, Goldeneye, Mario Kart 64, Super Smash Bros, Winback: Covert Operations, Bomberman 64, the list goes on.

-God Ginrai

Its pretty much been said, but to set the record straight a wiz port is very unlikely. First problem is the dynamic recompiler is using ARM instructions the wiz cant support and the video plugin may be not 1.1 es lite. And this is not even considering that the pollux would most likely be super slow.
When posting threads the OP should be a little more responsible on what they post. I only mentioned the wiz once and no way did it convey that a port was on the way or that I was even working on one.

The only thing ive done is compile the mupen application and ran it with dummy video plugin, but with a SDL audio plugin. I did this mainly to prove the recompiler was running on the pandora, get an idea how much cpu was being used, and that sound worked. Im trying some things to get a real video plugin to work, but in reality its beyond my knowledge and more suited for someone use has more experience with opengl.
I do appreciate that idea that i may be able to do it all, but unfortunately there are still some things I need to learn.

Why all the hype over a Playstation emulator? Playstation was a crappy system back when it was released and it's still a crappy system today. That's my opinion. I'm much more excited over a Nintendo 64 emulator

My thoughts exactly! :D

I never got into the playstation. The only memorable game I can remember was Crash BAndicoot 2; my cousin owned that game.

Now for the N64 I remember mariokart64 (first mariokart game I played) Zelda OOT (first 3d zelda I played and in my opinion the best game I've ever played!) Mario 64

this is my n64 best games ever in order of importance.

1. mario 64
2. mario kart 64
3. Wave race 64
4. Zelda ocarina of time
5. Goldeneye
6. Cruisin USA
7. Cruisin World
8. Quest 64
9. MArio party series
10. Top Gear rally
11. Banjo Kazooie
12. Killer instinct
13. mystical ninja
14. Offroad
15. Perfect Dark
16. Excite bike
17.castlevania 64
18. automobili lamborghini
19. Gretzky hockey
20. micro machines

and many more i cant remember.

i really love this console. When i saw mario 64 the first time, i was impressed. it was the first time i saw a console 3D game with mipmapping.(filtering) For me the best was snes and nes, because i have a lot of great memories to them, but n64 was nice too.

Yah to be honest, I thought the same thing initially when I saw how much excitement people were having about this N64 EMU possibility.

Really, the N64 and original Playstation had similar generation of game technology- just that on the N64 everything was anti-aliased to all hell, which didn't really improve the appearance IMO.

But I digress- part of the difference between my point of view and a lot of other people's is that I never owned either of these systems, so none of the games really have that aura of nostalgia for me. And to be really honest, the more choices we have on the Pandora the better! So heck- if we can play Playstation games and N64 games, that's awesome.

I guess the thing that struck me about it, though, is that N64 is being considered such a landmark achievement when I think PS1 is just as awesome and we already have that more or less guaranteed :)

Rene, read Picles post. Also the only mentions I saw in the N64 dev threat about the Wiz other than your own spam was "its not going to happen" so where are you getting this crap?

sorry pickle. its my fault i didnt understand well what i was reading. i thought that all your experimentation were done on the wiz. really sorry. i didnt want to put you any pressure.
it seems im not the only one that was confuse in the beta testing n64 thread. some people too thought your tests was on the wiz.

sorry i will be more careful next time i post a new thread.

Note: exophase said it could be possible to get a n64 emulator maybe as good as psp n64 emulator. i didnt imagine it , read it. i know the psp n64 emulator is not very fast but it still barely playable for some people.

Note: some people in the n64 dev thread really thought the pickle testin was for the wiz.

Sorry i really read the all 16 pages. but unfrotunately i misunderstand some information

renejr902 said:
sorry pickle. its my fault i didnt understand well what i was reading. i thought that all your experimentation were done on the wiz. really sorry. i didnt want to put you any pressure.
it seems im not the only one that was confuse in the beta testing n64 thread. some people too thought your tests was on the wiz.

apology accepted and thank you
You may want to consider edit/updating your posts so no else gets confused and that there isnt incorrect information on forums.
I feel that we are going to get the question "can the wiz run N64 now that pandora can" from now on. ;-) Which would probally happen regardless of this thread and others.

Pickle said:
renejr902 said:

You may want to consider edit/updating your posts so no else gets confused and that there isnt incorrect information on forums.
I feel that we are going to get the question "can the wiz run N64 now that pandora can" from now on. ;-) Which would probally happen regardless of this thread and others.

How can i edit a title thread ?? anyway i will edit my first post

renejr902 said:
Pickle said:
renejr902 said:

How can i edit a title thread ?? anyway i will edit my first post

I dont think you can, but a Mod could and should

i edited all my posts.

But Please EXOPHASE. Did i read your posts correctly when you said it could be possible to get a wiz n64 emulator maybe as good as psp n64 emulator. i didnt imagine it :

Exophase words:

[/quote]
I'm aware how much Wiz sucks compared to Pandora, and for what reasons. It's just that people find N64 emulation on PSP worthwhile, even if it's far from realtime speed. If floats are not executed too often then something on Wiz can potentially be about PSP level, barring the difference a lack of VFPU makes in assisting RSP T&L + clipping.

Unfortunately I can't port anything to Wiz right now and I'm not really a porting kind of person.. but I have a good feeling someone else would be up to the task. Quite possibly Pickle?

And then all my confusion begin there.

i know the psp n64 emulator is not very fast but it still barely playable for some people.

but i dont understand in technical term how you explained it

renejr902 said:
but i dont understand in technical term how you explained it
He means that Wiz doesn't have some features that a N64 emulator needs. Without hardware-supported floating point operations, for instance, games will run extremely slowly on the Wiz. So, the Wiz will probably be able to run N64 games as well as a PSP in some cases, but it will most probably be even slower on the Wiz compared to on a PSP if a game uses a lot of floating point operations.

Back