N64 Emulator In The Work For Pandora

renejr902 said:
this is my n64 best games ever in order of importance.

1. mario 64
2. mario kart 64
3. Wave race 64
4. Zelda ocarina of time
5. Goldeneye
6. Cruisin USA
7. Cruisin World
8. Quest 64
9. MArio party series
10. Top Gear rally
11. Banjo Kazooie
12. Killer instinct
13. mystical ninja
14. Offroad
15. Perfect Dark
16. Excite bike
17.castlevania 64
18. automobili lamborghini
19. Gretzky hockey
20. micro machines

and many more i cant remember.

i really love this console. When i saw mario 64 the first time, i was impressed. it was the first time i saw a console 3D game with mipmapping.(filtering) For me the best was snes and nes, because i have a lot of great memories to them, but n64 was nice too.

1. mario 64
15. Perfect Dark
this cant be right, rethink! :p

Last edited by a moderator:
I still usually play Mario Kart 64 (on the Wii) it'd be just awesome if I could play it on the go.

I like the Playstation (Metal Gear Solid, Final Fantasy, Castlevania SOTN, Crash Bandicoot, Tekken 3, etc). But I like the Nintendo 64 too (Zelda OOT, Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, Mario 64, Mario Kart) so it would be like a dream came true if I could play both systems in a device as big as a DS.

And every emulator, even if it emulates an unknown calculator which nobody knows about it's existence should be welcome.

BTW: renejr902's list lacks Starfox, Smash Bros & Conquer.

Majora's Mask was okay. It had some of the best dungeon designs I've seen but the whole saving thing was annoying. They did improve it graphically over OOT. But OOT I can play over and over. I think I've gone through it atleast 5 times. Wish I could wipe my brain so that every dungeon is NEW again! <_<

N64 probably had the same amount of enjoyable games as PS1. I personally preferred the Saturn out of that generation of systems.

I actually prefer Majora's Mask to Ocarina Of Time. I love the foreboding doom and the limited timescale, that isn't really as limited as it first appears. The world is full and constantly moving, whether you are there to see it or not. Ocarina is a true classic though - I've completed it several times and still want to ride back to Hyrule Field on Epona.

I absolutely love many of Nintendo's own games (with the major exception of Smash Bros - I just find it to be a completely pointless button basher - it looks nice, but I'm perhaps too old to get into it), but give me anything Zelda, Metroid or Pikmin related and I'm as happy as a sandboy.

I eagerly await the Wii updates of those three franchises especially. I'd love to see a sequel to Luigi'sMansion too - that game was waaaay too short, but incredible good fun, although the chances of that are probably less than a snowflakes chance in Hell.

I always preferred Banjo Kazooie to Mario64, although the final battle with Gruntilda is a right bast. Never got into Banjo Tooie though. Donkey Kong64 (I don't think anyone mentioned that one) was a cracker back then too.

Can't stand GoldenEye though - the AI sucked terribly. I appreciate the coding of the game and the way it changed FPS's (especially on console), but not the game itself.

I was lucky I suppose, as I owned (and still own) both PS1 and N64 so have no bias towards either machine.

bustaballs said:
N64 probably had the same amount of enjoyable games as PS1. I personally preferred the Saturn out of that generation of systems.
Radiant Silvergun, Guardian Heroes, the expanded SotN with those extra goodies, SATURN BOMBERMAN (with 10-player ridiculousness. Sex.), Samurai Spirits and Street Fighter Alpha 3, Grandia... Goddamn, the Saturn was hax with awesomeness.

Also, what's wrong with you people for not mentioning Turok Dinosaur Hunter? That game made the control scheme that damn near every FPS on consoles today use.

I didn't much like either N64 (despite having a backup/CD device) or PS1, but I'm really looking forward to both on Pandora. I think the handheld will give them a new lease of life for me.

SirAileron said:
bustaballs said:
Radiant Silvergun, Guardian Heroes, the expanded SotN with those extra goodies, SATURN BOMBERMAN (with 10-player ridiculousness. Sex.), Samurai Spirits and Street Fighter Alpha 3, Grandia... Goddamn, the Saturn was hax with awesomeness.

Also, what's wrong with you people for not mentioning Turok Dinosaur Hunter? That game made the control scheme that damn near every FPS on consoles today use.

Funny enough, of all the consoles I own, the Saturn is my least played ever, despite having a large range of very good SEGA arcade classics. It's a nice machine, but I found that like the Dreamcast, the arcade games lacked longevity. They were great fun while they lasted, but that was never very long, unsurprisingly. And I always felt that the machine was running slow. There were some great exclusives, but not as many as I hoped would exist before it died. Same with Dreamcast (sniff :().

Indeed, the N64 was an impressive piece of hardware for it's time. (only original with the fogy washroom optic! :D ) I've played N64 the first time at the (german) army ages ago (no, we didn't only played Videogames there all the time :lol: ) I am not a skilled consolero but I was not so bad in Lylat Wars and was able to finish tha game onto easy mode (hey, for me this is much!). I liked the original Smash Bros and Zelda of course. Later a buddy had this console and we played a good bunch Golden Eye, what a game! (by the way, Golden Eye and Perfect Dark never appeard officialy in germany, 2 of the best games ever never were available in shops here, you just can't imagine this damn "Index" situation here!)
However, my buddy really had talent for Console gaming, he was able to unlock EVERYTHING in Golden Eye, even the tings people sayed you can't unlock. :D Somehow he could play the game alone with 2 Controllers, one in each hand, very weird controler Setting. I was happy when I reached the 2. level onmto easy mode without dying. But I always was a PC Shooter type.
I hope, there will be something that can be called PLAYABLE N64 Emulator. Maybe it helps to optimize the emu just for some games, like people already mentioned, Mario 64, Zelda OOT, Goldeneye, Lylat Wars, maybe Smash Bros would be more than enough fun to play with. :)

Well, the thing about the Pandora is that it's powerful enough that you probably won't have to optimize for certain games like you have to on the PSP. :D

The two stick control setting (which I used briefly in Perfect Dark - didn't realise it was in Goldeneye) is basically what all console FPSes use these days - one stick for aim/turn, one for move (forwards/back/strafe), plus one trigger for shoot (well, Z button). It's basically the console equivalent of mouse/keyboard, as compared to the old Doom controls.

I loved OoT back in the day - but the one game that keeps dragging me back to the machine is F-Zero X. Not a pretty game (especially next to F-ZeroGX on the Cube), but boy is it fast. Such an evolution from the SNES original - GX basically plays the same as X.

i forgot majora mask. But for Perfect Dark its not my kind of games. this is the reason it rank 15th. But the graphics were awesome in these old times.
Smash brothers , i never like this game. sorry

Wave Race is really the game that makes me love the n64. i bought my n64 with mario 64 and wave race when they were released several years ago. Wave race cost me 100$ but finally it worth it. :)

Who remember the final fantasy screenshots in nintendo power magazine. the game has never come.

Diddy Kong racing was my first N64 game :) I liked it alot.

But Goldeneye, Turok, Starfox64, Mario Kart, Mario64, the Zeldas, Blast Corps, and Starcraft64 are all games that kicked ass imho. And the Rampage games were fun too.

If N64 emulation ends up running smooth on the Pandora along with the PS1 games I love and all the snes/genesis/gba/nes/sms/amiga/atari/mame/neogeo/dos/C64 games too, I may have to officially give up on my social life until my thumbs drop off :lol:

iprice said:
I absolutely love many of Nintendo's own games (with the major exception of Smash Bros - I just find it to be a completely pointless button basher - it looks nice, but I'm perhaps too old to get into it)

SSB, a button masher? I'm sure anyone from the series' massive competitive scene would beg to differ. If you'd actually tried pressing random buttons as fast as you could against anyone aware of the game's controls, you'd have figured out its ineffectiveness. Who did you play against, a toddler gnawing on the controller? Honestly, I can't think of any popular games in which conscious manipulation of the controls loses out to completely mindless mashing. It's practically common sense.

levi said:
typs lik dis said:
Honestly, I can't think of any popular games in which conscious manipulation of the controls loses out to completely mindless mashing.

Tekken ;) :p
Any game with Dragon Ball Z in the name.

I'm glad to see a thread to divert all the hype away from the developers. They know they're loved, but now we can stop spamming their thread. :D I'm looking forward to Pandora 100% more now that it has N64 as a near possibility. I'll relive my childhood and then some. I never had a playstation, so that will be nice too.

^rambling

TheRain said:
I guess the thing that struck me about it, though, is that N64 is being considered such a landmark achievement when I think PS1 is just as awesome and we already have that more or less guaranteed :)
Not being a technical guru or coder it would seem to me the simple answer to this may lie in the fact that a Playstation had a main CPU running at 33.8688 MHz

While the N64 had a main cpu running at 93.75 MHz and a co-processor running at 62.5 MHz.

So if everything else was equal (which they are not) then that alone would make it harder to accomplish. It takes a lot of horsepower to do emulation, and the achievement here that is more amazing is when people like Exophase, Pickle, Ari64 etc. Manage to make the emulator work despite not having the extra power an x86 machine can allow (where they can just throw more processing at it to overcome bad coding). They must be terribly efficient to create an environment where the system can run under the more limited resources of the Pandora. When I first got my PSP the boards were full of coders saying that you needed roughly 10 times the CPU speed to emulate an older system. (not doing a CPU comparison here just pointing out what was said) By rights the PSP was just capable of doing the PSX and not anywhere close to being able to do N64. Same with Pandora. But really good coders who strive to get every last trick used in their favor CAN do the impossible. Like Exophase and the GBA emulator on PSP, StrmnNrmn on N64 for PSP, and now Ari64 on N64 for Pandora. These guys are geniouses!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_64#Central_processing_unit

Poem58 said:
When I first got my PSP the boards were full of coders saying that you needed roughly 10 times the CPU speed to emulate an older system. (not doing a CPU comparison here just pointing out what was said)
The Pandora CPU arguably is 10x faster than the N64. The clock speed is 6 to 9 times faster (some devs are overclocking) but it's also dual-issue and has a larger cache.

Back