New Icontrolpad Pictures

dwarf shortage
Website
Visit site
Craig recently tweeted some pictures of iControlpad parts, so I thought I'd open a new thread.

149192562fff33439f349ad.jpg

149319726.jpg

These pictures are of the iCP 'clips', which secure the iDevice to the unit itself. I'm not sure whether the clips shown are for the iPhone or iPod Touch.
Craig tweeted last week that we could expect some iCP news, but that hasn't happened yet.
As far as I know, these are being mass-produced in a factory in the UK.

:)

Edit: Fixed pics.

Interesting. Just from these Pics I would say the Quality of the Material and the build quality itself seems to be better than the one from the Pandora Case.
Surface of these "clips" looks like it is not painted but still somehow manipulated. I want to see the finished and complete iControlPad for better analyzing. :)

Did you mean only the Unit produced (assembled) in UK or also these Plastic Parts made in UK?

fusion_power said:
Did you mean only the Unit produced (assembled) in UK or also these Plastic Parts made in UK?
Made. A few months ago Craig said that he was visiting the factory making the iCP - proudly mentioning that this was in England. I think he's going to assemble the iCP units the same way as he did the Pandora (himself).
And yeah I agree about the build quality. Looks very solid.

Last edited by a moderator:
Almost :p . This is an early prototype, revealed Nov 09:

captureqte.png

Video.

Yes, so is the dpad. I've heard only praise for the Pandora's dpad, so that's great. Not sure about the nubs though, I hope the failure rate won't be as high by the time the iCP is out.

New picture, this time of the iCP itself.
1503844433f5c383db76aea.jpg

Looks great. Now let me pre-order one :) .

Edit: Oops, double post. Meh.

Wow, not bad at all :) Now, add bluetooth and make it Droid compatible, please :p

/Apple-hater

I didn't do any research yet, but I didn't stumble upon info that Droid supports USB-host functionality so far. A bluetooth version could expand your audience greatly, I think. Whatever, if there is a Droid/Milestone version available, I'll buy it no matter which type of connection it uses.

quote said:
fusion_power said:
Made. A few months ago Craig said that he was visiting the factory making the iCP - proudly mentioning that this was in England. I think he's going to assemble the iCP units the same way as he did the Pandora (himself).
And yeah I agree about the build quality. Looks very solid.
Ah, ok, this explains the Quality. :) I wonder how much more expencive it is to make it in UK than in China. ^^"

quote said:
Almost :p . This is an early prototype, revealed Nov 09:

captureqte.png
Ah, soooooooo! :D
Now I understand the concept. With different "clamps" you can connect different devices. Early Renderers suggest that only one shape can be snapt into the (single) Case. Seems like this Idea really have evolved, not bad. :) Clever concept I hope Craig patented it.

fusion_power said:
Ah, ok, this explains the Quality. :) I wonder how much more expencive it is to make it in UK than in China. ^^"

Well, it did cost about as much as the Pandora case. But it is way more simpler than the Pandora case.

Last edited:
craigix said:
It's USB so it will work with any phone, we plan to make clamps for all the popular phones.

By the way, has anyone ever tried to encode this kind of thing on the "microphone in" signal of the iPod connector? This way, any app should be able to support it if it only has the right (open) analysis routine. No need for jailbreak or stuff.

Matthias_H said:
craigix said:
It's USB so it will work with any phone, we plan to make clamps for all the popular phones.

By the way, has anyone ever tried to encode this kind of thing on the "microphone in" signal of the iPod connector? This way, any app should be able to support it if it only has the right (open) analysis routine. No need for jailbreak or stuff.

Yes. That can work, it's something we looked at, but it cripples the iphone a bit as you lose one of the main ways of listening to audio (unless you want to go further and hack some more complex connector but you're getting in to expensive moulding and R&D then).

Plus apple would just stop it.

Looks damn nice, and I hope a clamp comes out for the HTC Desire (I think it's still the biggest Android phone in the UK, so there's a good chance).

Some really nice work here Craig, got any news on when this'll start selling/shipping?

Back