Release New Video - In Hd!

What I particularly liked was the way the user could switch between most (although not all) apps (clicking icons) with no apparent delay/startup time -- almost like on a Palm (where everything is resident in memory at all times, thus the speed). I didn't think the device could do it. (On the other hand: Thinking about it, old computers from the '80s could do this, and they were orders of magnitude slower.. but then we got used to those delays I guess.)

Last edited by a moderator:
'Tor' said:
What I particularly liked was the way the user could switch between most (although not all) apps (clicking icons) with no apparent delay/startup time -- almost like on a Palm (where everything is resident in memory at all times, thus the speed). I didn't think the device could do it. (On the other hand: Thinking about it, old computers from the '80s could do this, and they were orders of magnitude slower.. but then we got used to those delays I guess.)
The missing link is HDDs. With everything in RAM/ROM/Flash etc it works beautifully.

HDDs? What about network? With 1tb of network storage and the Pandora having 256mb of RAM, I kinda want it to be able to completely load a program into ram from the network.

'fischju2000' said:
HDDs? What about network? With 1tb of network storage and the Pandora having 256mb of RAM, I kinda want it to be able to completely load a program into ram from the network.
:blink:

You want your main application store to be networked, rather than SD cards in the Pandora?

'PSyMastR' said:
'MDave' said:
So, how's the theme, guys? :) Anything I should change about it?
Change the folders to match the rest of the icons.

You mean the icons for the applications? My theme covers only the system icons, not every application out there too ;)

For reference, here are the icons I created, most of which are not seen in the video.

PanIcons3.png

PANscreenshots1.jpg

PANscreenshots2.jpg

Oh and EvilDragon! You are using the wrong icon for applications that don't have their own icon! :p

'MDave' said:
'PSyMastR' said:
'MDave' said:
So, how's the theme, guys? :) Anything I should change about it?
Change the folders to match the rest of the icons.

You mean the icons for the applications? My theme covers only the system icons, not every application out there too ;)

For reference, here are the icons I created, most of which are not seen in the video.

PanIcons3.png

PANscreenshots1.jpg

PANscreenshots2.jpg

Oh and EvilDragon! You are using the wrong icon for applications that don't have their own icon! :p

Those are way too big though, you can't show many apps with those. Is there a way to get smaller icons drawn at a smaller size? Yes I know you can scale them on the fly but the scaling ruins the art on them as it removes ALOT of pixels/detail. Can this OS display different resolution icons? If not it should be made to accept them, smaller icons drawn at native resolution is a must for aesthetics.

'MDave' said:
I could happily live with those, they're nice and clean as well as being clear in terms of what they go with. And the vector nature of them will be great when it gets ported to run in HD. :p

PanIcons3.png

I would like to see these Icons with rounded edges, 2 or 4 Pixels maybe? Is this possible?

'fusion_power' said:
I would like to see these Icons with rounded edges, 2 or 4 Pixels maybe? Is this possible?
+1 The square look seems a bit, well, square.

'lulzfish' said:
If they're SVG icons, they're pretty easy to scale anyway.
How were they scaled in the video?
at damn

i so want that, lol
honestly this is were problems come especially with people wanting to make their own GUI, it would mean the possibilities are endless

do you have any confirmation about this

Rounded icons? :) I wanted to go with the typical and literal folders and paper files theme (which everyone can understand what it means if they have used any window based gui and file explorer before since the beginning of time). It would lose the impression of files if they looked like anything else :p I already tried creating a 3D perspective to them too :)

@DaveC: I made them at 96 x 96 size, the default "largest" icon size for matchbox themes. I can easily create 64, 32 and 16 icon sizes, hell anyone can if they want. They are PNG files for now, as I don't have the option to export SVG files. And I think you need to build matchbox with a certain setting on (not on by default) to enable support for SVG icons, AFAIK. ;)

They do seem a bit big though in the screenshots I posted, but that might be because there is a lot of spacing between the icons. Makes it easier to touch the icons faster on a 4.5" screen, I imagined ;) Then I realised touch dosn't work with fingers :p only finger nails or pointy objects like a stylus, so the default could be made smaller. Either way, as EvilDragon demonstrated you can change the look and feel however you want :)

Back