No Silkscreen Possibly?

I dont really care about silkscreen.If anyones worried maybe a rendering of pandora on the official site will do.
It would show where everything is.Wait but how will i find my stealth pandora in the dark?Oh yeah ill turn the bedroom light on.

second exodous said:
I see what your saying now, if someone plugs in a 1.1 device and it doesn't work then they think it's broken.
That's more or less the gist of it, yep. :)

I still don't think that it will make a difference marking it though, even if it says 2.0 the odds of someone knowing that it's a 1.1 device they are trying or even thinking that it might not be working because they are trying a 1.1 device is pretty slim
Maybe so, but at least if it's marked as "USB HS 2.0", when or if they ask for assistance one can point out more easily what the label means, I think.

From what I read I'm pretty sure that every 3.0 device will work on 2.0 without any extra chips. I don't know if in the future they'll leave something out of the devices and break compatibility though.
I have to admit, I've got no clue about USB 3.0. I haven't followed it at all, as I've honestly got no interest in it (USB 2.0 is good enough for me - I suppose this would mean that I'm a customer overshot by USB 3.0 if you happen to view it as a "product" :p).

I dislike USB, it was made for mice and keyboards, not storage or video. Companies never should have adopted 2.0 and left video and storage to firewire(which is truly backwards compatible between revisions and is older and just as fast) and eSATA(the new storage standard). It was an Intel and Microsoft thing, they had to have control to feel good about themselves.
I've not used Firewire, so I can't comment. :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
second exodous said:
But it doesn't say in the silk screening that it's only USB 2.0, or is that what HS means, I thought it meant High Speed.
It does mean high speed. High Speed was introduced with the 2.0 spec, Full Speed was introduced with the 1.1 spec, and the normal, slow speed is 1.0. If it says "USB HS" then it is a 2.0 device by necessity.

All of these "you don't need it so we shouldn't put it and if you do need it than you're some kind of cave man or something" posts are annoying. Of course we don't need it, that doesn't change the fact that some people consider it much more professional to label things. What about the power cable? I've got so many things I've bought at garage sales for 50 cents that looked cool but I was never able to figure out because the power connector did not have the direction and voltage information. Almost everything these days that plugs in has at least this much, with the exception of proprietary (like the DS) or totally standard (like USB) power plugs. My speakers have it, my powered USB hub has it. Even my camcorder, which is actually a proprietary plug, has this information; if the company goes out of business and I can no longer find an adapter for it, I can jury rig a new one based only on the information labeled directly on the case.

Do we need to label the LEDs and SD slots? Probably not, but some people feel it would give a better look.
Should we at least label the back panel including the "USB HS" and voltage information? Yes, for lots of reasons already given that have nothing to do with aesthetics.

Totally agree with you, Stan, but just want to point something out. ;)

WizardStan said:
(like the DS)
All DS models carry the power input information on the back - I just checked. (Got access to an original North American launch model, an EU Lite, and an EU DSi, here, and I would suspect the same applies to the DSi LL/XL as well.)

It appears to me that the 'official' rendering of the Pandora has no silk screening, I'm just saying.........

Yes this is truly intended to show how silly the "case for" or "case against" battle is, when based on "whats right".

Discussing if you 'prefer' silk screening on your Pandy or not makes sense, but I'm pretty sure silk screening was more of an after thought than a part of the original 'specs / design' of the Pandora.

Personally I have no opinion either way, and as always will rely on the decisions of OP. Speaking of OP I don't percieve them as a 'Corporation' except that IMO it was necessary to incorporate or whatever to allow ordering of parts - individuals could not order 4000 OMAP's) Any reference to thier actions not being professional in a 'corporate' sense is silly, basically they are 4 of 'us' that decided to band together and build what we wanted, and frankly if I were them, my patience would be worn pretty thin, not only with the process but with some of the more verbal community members on the forum.

Discussion is good, but the self-righteous crap, and THEY this and THEY that (they - referring to OP) with inferences about bad / unprofessional, unethical, unfair ect examples are thankless to say the least and it's not THEY, it's US - OP is a small piece of us.

Sorry for the rant, but the forum madness is getting to me. I hope I can continue to to the math and convince myself the the majority of the community still 'gets it' (in my perspective anyways) and is sitting back patiently waiting, trusting that OP will continue to do the right thing, and thankful that they made the effort and continue to do so for US.

Thanks OP and drive on...I salute you ... still.

Twiitcher

I think the main source of speculation about the possible absence of silkscreening most recently comes from ED's post in the developer's blog. I can see where people would fall into three camps on this matter: those who definitely want it, those who definitely don't, and those who don't think it's a major priority for themselves personally. The largest two camps are probably the first and the third.

For myself, I fall into the third group. I've never really thought about how many of my small electronics devices are labeled until this issue came up with the Pandora. To me, that means that it doesn't make a big difference to me either way.

I really don't mind leaving this issue to ED, Craig, and the others who have put their money into this project. Getting the silkscreening right may cost us time, but it costs them money and time. The same with the idea of swapping cases: it's not the kind of thing you would leave up to a user, so it would have to be done by sending the Pandora to someone who handles the case swap themselves.

That's just my two cents though. I think we'll know more about the status of the cases soon enough.

I would love to get a Pandora without silkscreen ;)

Also my Pandora is going to be green so i don't care about a missing silkscreen :)

Twiitcher said:
It appears to me that the 'official' rendering of the Pandora has no silk screening, I'm just saying.........
That's what I thought at first too, but after re-checking it seems that even the very first renders already had silkscreening ;)

mali said:
Twiitcher said:
That's what I thought at first too, but after re-checking it seems that even the very first renders already had silkscreening ;)

AND?.... your point?..... oh, nm, I forgot... just stirring the water up... make it muddy.......let's go back and forth for a bit, increase my post count.../sigh...

Twiitcher <----back to sitting back and watching the madness...

WizardStan said:
All of these "you don't need it so we shouldn't put it and if you do need it than you're some kind of cave man or something" posts are annoying.
Wow, that comment made an impact, I'm sorry I said it. I just saw an add for 'Encino Man' recently and it was stuck in my head. I didn't mean it like what everyone is making it out to be, I guess I'm a bad communicator. I just meant that everyone knows what a USB port looks like unless somehow you've been sheltered from technology since the 90's, not that you're stupid if you need things marked. Maybe I should have said 20 years making a reference to South Park instead.

WizardStan said:
What about the power cable?. . .
That is a point I didn't think of, I guess it would be practical to have that. That is the only thing I would think necessary though, even USB, look at what me and Prometheus were saying above.

In the end it's just opinion, it doesn't need silk screening to look like a finished or professional device or even look better. The voltage information is important though, maybe if the silk screening doesn't look good they can just silk screen that on.

I'm still not convinced that the last silk screening didn't look good enough to use though, it will probably ship with silk screening. I don't think anyone wants the Pandora not to have the silk screening done just that they don't want this to turn into another multi-month wait just for a few markings.

Twiitcher said:
mali said:
Twiitcher said:

AND?.... your point?..... oh, nm, I forgot... just stirring the water up... make it muddy.......let's go back and forth for a bit, increase my post count.../sigh...

Correcting totally inaccurate misinformation that biases the discussion is "muddying the waters"?

I'd have thought posting to a topic that one has no interest in either way would be less helpful than correcting errors, but maybe you DO need to increase your post count?

@Twiitcher
I've got no exact point, tbh. I just posted the same in a different thread and corrected myself afterwards :)

edit:
@Monk
Everythings ok, relax :)

second exodous said:
WizardStan said:
All of these "you don't need it so we shouldn't put it and if you do need it than you're some kind of cave man or something" posts are annoying.
Wow, that comment made an impact, I'm sorry I said it.
It wasn't just you saying things like that and you shouldn't take it personally, your "thawed out" comment was just a notable and very recent example. If you hadn't said it, I would have said "some kind of idiot" instead, because that was how the previous sentiments were sounding. "Caveman" sounds better :)

WizardStan said:
"Caveman" sounds better :)
I vote that Monk still needs to change his custom title to "Caveman Ninja". :D

second exodous said:
Wow, that comment made an impact, I'm sorry I said it.

IMHO it's a nice convenient clear example of something that's been a bit irritating for a while. An attitude, or at least the appearance of it, of "Well I don't need X so if you need X then you must be real DUMB - STFU and cancel your order already, you're obviously not First Batch material". Like putting up with a poorer model is going to be a badge of supremecy somehow or other. Belittling other posters in order to get them to shut up or even agree is a very old technique, and when it comes day after day time after time it can wear thin.

No-one seems to REALLY stop and think "Well I don't need X so I wonder why it's important to so many other people". Polarity of the power supply is an excellent example, and to be hoenst the USB example from Prometheus shouldn't be dismissed too quickly, and IMHO no-one should assume that all the customers are going to be adult or that none of them are going to even partially disabled/afflicted in a way which makes labels more important to them than to you. Even just how finished it LOOKs is going to be important to some - I mean, did you read ANY of the "I want it to come in a pretty box because of the unboxing video I'm going to make" posts? If a pretty box is important enough to generate all THAT heat why dismiss labelling the unit, which is surely far more important?

As for silkscreening that's "good enough" - the Chinese factory supposedly have the data for better silkscreening than the photo recently posted on this thread. If they've got it right (OP and CF), I don't personally see why that shouldn't be good enough? I mean - it's not like that silk-screening didn't do most of the job already - and there's supposedly a better one? What's the problem again?

Prometheus said:
WizardStan said:
"Caveman" sounds better :)
I vote that Monk still needs to change his custom title to "Caveman Ninja". :D

Since Stan just Ninja'd me, does that make him a Caveman Ninja Ninja, or a more evolved Ninja? :confused:

He's a WizardNinja, of course. :D

(Sorry for the off-topicness, but that just made me laugh so much that I felt that it warranted a reply. :lol: )

Monk said:
Twiitcher said:
mali said:
Twiitcher said:

Correcting totally inaccurate misinformation that biases the discussion is "muddying the waters"?

I'd have thought posting to a topic that one has no interest in either way would be less helpful than correcting errors, but maybe you DO need to increase your post count?

The official render does not have silkscreening (not inaccurate) and my interest in the thread is not the silkscreening debate, however the sense of entitlement and all the negativity that this thread is generating is something that I do have an interest.

Again I reference my post as a whole, however feel free to view it as you see fit (narrowly IMO) and not address the 'message' that I'm trying to convey with the post. Again a correction (which was not, in fact, a correction) and a conclusion (I shouldn't be posting in this thread) based on analysis of a small piece of my message shows me you may be lacking an ability to analyze an entire train of thought to make judgements based on the 'big picture". Certainly your right to view / analyze as you see fit, but not one I concur with, nor do I percieve any conclusions based on such a narrow perspective as accurate.

Twiitcher

Back