No Silkscreen Possibly?

where's the poll :p ?

- silkscreen but only if it looks good. nothing otherwise
- silkscreen even if it looks bad
- wait 2 more months until silkscreen is perfect
- no silskcreen
- what a moron did set up this poll?

Alpha2 said:
No they would have LIKED for it to be done right in december. The whole reason it's taken so long is because they dont want to half ass the thing. to go this far and wait this long and suddenly not have labeling that every other device on the planet has would be silly, that'd be the DEFINITION of half assing.
I think the plastics company has half assed the thing and given the Pandora ZERO priority. OP is stuck with them. So you want to give the ball back and keep playing.

Sorry, I just want to say game over China.

The iphones buttons aren't labeled and there are how many of them? Ipod touch? Lights that will be bright when you are sitting in a dark room with your eyes glued to a screen, illuminating a white silkscreen on black plastic WTF are you trying to figure out with 6 lights? I'm sorry its gonna be that confusing for you, you might want to wait till the second batch. Surrender your order # or go naked first batch.

You gotta have a slogan.

Peace & black

Link

Last edited by a moderator:
Pointless argument. It's NOT an overpriced Apple device where half it's price comes from the design phase. Also Ipods have everything on it's touchscreen. There are no access lights, no BT indicator or wifi. If the lights on the pandora were pointless they wouldnt have put them on in the first place, everything would be on the screen and no one would have to complain, but they did. to not have them labled for the dev units is one thing, but for Production units it'd just be one more mark against Open Pandora. Sure granted if the silkscreen is going to rub off I'll give that as a reason to skip it rather than spend another month trying to get it right but if it's just a week or if they know how to make it stick, take the time and do it right. Hell I'd rather the info be actually chiseled into the plastic but that would definitely take two more months.

The chinese company takes a lot of heat in all this sure but it's only because most of this BS with other devices usually happens secretly in the back ground until one day it just pops out of the womb fully formed. I doubt they're completely or intentionally screwing OP over it just seems that way because we're watching as it happens.

Anyway that's all I have to say on the matter, My vote is locked in... unless there's a poll. Have fun continuing to debate something that's not really up to us.

Pointless argument, must have been on the debate team in school.

I think what's holding up OS development is the lack of hardware in more hands. Waiting on something so petty is pointless. 6 lights, one power, one battery, two SD cards, wifi/BT. Really? Don't want to drive with you at night BTW.

I'm not saying abandon it, i'm saying make 1000 cases, start working on moving them, sort out this issue, make more cases, resolve issue, whatever comes first. If you don't want no silkscreen and are in the first 1000 you should have the option to wait till its resolved, some customer service. All hypothetical because its not in our hands, your right, and Craig likes black, so...

No delays

Peace & black on black,

Link

cosurgi said:

- no silskcreen
You forgot the most important option

- left blank for what Chip wants to add.

EDIT: I actually hope there is an option in the OS to turn off all the lights, on my PC I have silly putty over every LED so it doesn't light up the entire room as my computer is in my bedroom. It funny that someone mentioned no LEDs on Apple products, it's one of the strokes of genius Apple had, why do you need lights telling you if things are on? If you browser stops working you know the wifi is down, why the heck do you need an LED to tell you that? If you're BT devices don't work then you know it's off, why the heck do you need a LED telling you it's on? Windows users need HDD LEDs for some unknown reason, what the heck is that for? If it's taking too long open up a terminal or a GUI tool to tell you what the heck is going on.

How many LEDs are on the Pandora anyway? I'm not even going to check for my argument because if it's less than 10 I'm sure you can remember what the heck they are for after a few days of use.

second exodous said:
cosurgi said:

- no silskcreen

EDIT: I actually hope there is an option in the OS to turn off all the lights, on my PC I have silly putty over every LED so it doesn't light up the entire room as my computer is in my bedroom. It funny that someone mentioned no LEDs on Apple products, it's one of the strokes of genius Apple had, why do you need lights telling you if things are on? If you browser stops working you know the wifi is down, why the heck do you need an LED to tell you that? If you're BT devices don't work then you know it's off, why the heck do you need a LED telling you it's on? Windows users need HDD LEDs for some unknown reason, what the heck is that for? If it's taking too long open up a terminal or a GUI tool to tell you what the heck is going on.

How many LEDs are on the Pandora anyway? I'm not even going to check for my argument because if it's less than 10 I'm sure you can remember what the heck they are for after a few days of use.

Wow, Go Utah!
+1
I thought I was high

Mjlink said:
second exodous said:
cosurgi said:

- no silskcreen

Wow, Go Utah!
+1
I thought I was high
Yes, I am not a fan of LEDs, they cause me a lot of grief. I have a Asus M4A78T-E mother board in my computer and it even has an LED on the inside that shines light through the fans on the back of the case its so bright. I know it's handy to have but why is it so bright and why is it on 24/7! I put putty over it also. And perhaps the most pointless of all is the LEDs on a wifi pci card in my computer, once again as bright as flood lights, WHAT FOR! ITS ON THE BACK OF THE PC!!!!!!! I also got a new powerstrip with my new PC and low and behold it has one giant LED on it that severs as both the on and the protected LED, so basically if what you have plugged into it as power then it is on and is protected. I'm so thankful that it has that LED that is brighter than the freaking sun to tell me its plugged in but I still opt to put silly putty over it.

I think for some people LED sells the device, if it doesn't have enough light coming out of it then it's not worth buying because stupid people (read rednecks) are attracted to shiny things. "Why look Norean, that there is a pretty nice blue LED on that there electronical devce. OMFG Norean, look, they make pink LEDs that blink now, and we'll get a lot of it because that means magic holes in the wall is givin' power to the darn thing!"

The Pandora doesn't bug me as much because it is small and can go in a drawer at night, but it would still be nice to have a LED off switch in the OS.

atiti said:
how about if there is no silkscreening for the first batch, and there are people who wouldn't mind waiting then get moved into the second patch, and people who would like a pandy as soon as possible (without silk screen) get pushed up in the first batch? :p

No.

I want a silkscreen, I want to wait, but I dont want to wait another 6 months

Mithrildor said:
atiti said:
how about if there is no silkscreening for the first batch, and there are people who wouldn't mind waiting then get moved into the second patch, and people who would like a pandy as soon as possible (without silk screen) get pushed up in the first batch? :p

No.

I want a silkscreen, I want to wait, but I dont want to wait another 6 months
Just curious, what if silk screening takes another 6 months to get right? Lets face it, it could happen, how long ago was the Pandora supposed to be released? The case was not supposed to take as long it did. Now, according to this scenario you would rather the first batch being held up for 6 months rather than just change to the second batch to get it in 6 months. Wow, thanks.

If this is really under discussion then its quite disheartening. I'm a late pre order and was under the impression that really all of this had been sorted out by the end of December/January and the only thing to do before shipping was receive the cases from the manufacturer and assembly (barring any major OS hickups). The device sounds awesome and I would love to see this company succeed and expand with successive production runs, but im going to tell you now that threads like this bother me and i doubt that im the only one.

I really feel this needs to be released with everything advertised and this should not even be a discussion, it should just be as it was stated it would be. Two cents.

Will01 said:
If this is really under discussion then its quite disheartening.

I wouldn't call it "discussion". It's just the usual "speculation" ;)

I believe I'm probably near the front of the queue, and paid for a Pandora in the first batch and that's what I want. And I also want silkscreening on. So you can bitch and moan about delays all you like - if it comes to a vote (and it won't), I'm voting to delay as long as necessary to get those lights labelled.

D.

Alpha2 said:
It could also be argued that those of us that ordered first and have waited so long through all the case revisions deserve to have it done right the first time

+1

Mjlink said:

There is too much pointless pettiness. I am saddened every time it appears that OP is willing to ship out unfinished or poor quality Pandoras as production models :(

Monk said:
I am saddened every time it appears that OP is willing to ship out unfinished or poor quality Pandoras as production models :(
I never remember them every willing to ship out unfinished or poor quality Pandoras as production models. Where did you see this? MWeston wouldn't let the poor cases ship so what are you talking about? A stealth Pandora is in no way unfinished or poor quality, give the OP some credit for this decision. If it looks good on the first few tries, which it has looked good already, then it will ship with silk screening. If not they realize that more delays won't be worth something that you'll look at maybe 10 times before you have it memorized and then pushed into the back of your mind. I'm sure by the second batch silk screening will be all sorted out so if it that important to you then hold off till second batch.

You have no idea how long silk screening could hold back batch one, look at how long every other aspect of the Pandora has held it back when expectations were 'not too long'. Lets be safe and ship.

second exodous said:
I never remember them every willing to ship out unfinished or poor quality Pandoras as production models. Where did you see this?

Apparently you don't read this forum enough. For example, you seem to have forgotten that Craig reported a plan to ship some 500 Pandoras to end users using a case that, at that time, had been reported as looking quite shoddy (and we'd seen photos that backed this up) while the case went through further revisions for later, higher-quality/more finished first batch runs.

craigix said:
We will then ask people if they want to go with this or wait for another revision. We know all that some of you care about is that the controls work.

We will probably look at making 500 of these to get some units in to the wild, but we understand that some of you will want to wait until the case is 100%.

That's the plan.

So, yes, for customers who "only care that the controls work" they seem to have been contemplating shipping unfinished, potentially nasty-looking Pandoras just to get some "out there in the wild". :(

This was before the Chinese factory, whom we have every reason to believe 100%[/sarcasm], reported that the shoddy appearance of the cases was to be expected and in no way reflects the quality of MP cases using those same molds.

second exodous said:
A stealth Pandora is in no way unfinished or poor quality, give the OP some credit for this decision.

An unlabelled Pandora is indeed unfinished, fairly definitively. It's a Pandora that hasn't gone through the "silk screening" step. I will of course apportion blame/credit for the decision where it is due.

second exodous said:
You have no idea how long silk screening could hold back batch one

You are wrong. You have no idea how wrong you are ;)

This seems a really divided issue, I am a first batcher and have been intending to join this forum for a while-I've spent long enough reading it.
I've only been waiting since septemberish though - bought one the day after I first heard of it. Fair play to all you who have been with the project since the start.
If people really feel this strongly about it both ways; if there are problems that are unlikely to be immediately fixable, why not ship blank and offer replacement cases at cost?

Is it difficult/warranty voiding to swap cases?
How much are the cases costing anyway?
Is the fixing of silkscreen problems an open ended timescale?

Probably a stupid idea, so sorry in advance :p

Stevene said:
This seems a really divided issue, I am a first batcher and have been intending to join this forum for a while-I've spent long enough reading it.
I've only been waiting since septemberish though - bought one the day after I first heard of it. Fair play to all you who have been with the project since the start.
If people really feel this strongly about it both ways; if there are problems that are unlikely to be immediately fixable, why not ship blank and offer replacement cases at cost?

Probably a stupid idea, so sorry in advance :p

Not a stupid idea, it's been suggested before actually (that some units ship earlier for...well, almost any reason!)

There are reasons to like and dislike it. For example, from a collesctor's POV there would be at least two types of first batch. The first batch, and the FIRST first batch.

It doesn't make OP look an more professional that they can't even get a box silkscreened cleanly.

Some customers will object to the concept of having to pay for the case twice - why SHOULD they have to buy another case and install it themselves (or ship it back to OP) when they've paid for a fully "finished" product in the first place?

It has been said, with vaarying degrees of sincerity, that opening the case WILL void the warranty.

Changing the case is not a trivial task - ED damaged at least one screen ribbon cable in trying to assemble a unit long ago. Just changing the case can do more than void your warranty - it can break your Pandora.

Why would people WANT it with no silkscreening AND with silkscreening? If it's good enough to ship without silkscreen, they don't need the silkscreen. The very suggestion of shipping cases with silkscreen later hints at how... incorrect it is to ship any without the silkscreen.

IIRC the process of doing the case mold design and getting the silkscreening right and so on is supposed to take around 30-45 days, or thereabouts. It appeared to take longer, possibly because those days are "work days" and were split up into an hour here, an hour there, over several months (conjecture). Silkscreening, being part of that whole process, is indeed open-ended. It should be quick and easy, but it should have happened by last July.

Stevene said:
The answers is very much "yes". The most difficult part is seating the LCD ribbon properly.
Craig said the cases are cheaper than the plastic parts of the nubs.
I don't think so. The test silkscreening already looked ok besides some alignment issues.

edit:
F*** you Monk, bloody Ninja :p

Back