Open Snes/nes/gb

Prophet posted on Apr 15 2004 at 04:52 AM said:
But if you ever see LJZ running on a Zodiac you'll understand how good the system is, and why I chose to leave the GP32 for it.
erm... why?!? LittleJohn already runs completely perfectly on GP32. :blink: How is the Zodiac version any different?

Last edited by a moderator:
It's the battery thing that puts me off the Zodiac - and the hefty price tag to get one in the UK. Good luck to yoyo, although he did post a little while back saying he hasn't deserted us.

mr twit posted on Apr 15 2004 at 05:07 AM said:
But if you ever see LJZ running on a Zodiac you'll understand how good the system is, and why I chose to leave the GP32 for it.
erm... why?!? LittleJohn already runs completely perfectly on GP32. :blink: How is the Zodiac version any different?
Ah, that's why I said you really have to see it on a Zodiac to understand. The smoothing effect is perfection, looks like NES on a TV, and the Zodiac's screen itself is just brilliant - it makes a real difference. At full screen it's simply the best portable NES emulation I have ever experienced. It can't get any better IMO.

Of course the GP32 version is great too, but it's the Zodiac hardware itself that makes it better in this case - the GP32 simply doesn't have the display quality to compete. And I wouldn't be surprised if SNES on the Zodiac is 60fps 0skip with sound with many games after the ASM core is done. Keep in mind the Z is also 66MHZ faster (w/o overclocking) and has tons more memory. There's just more that's possible. Not knocking the GP32, it's been around a lot longer and has done amazing things in its time, no doubt about it.

Hello GP32 peeps, long time no visit. :)

You really need to see LJZ in action on a real Zodiac to appreciate the Zodiac's potential. I used to own a GP32 - it can't touch the Zodiac IMO. As for YoyoFr, I don't think it's just a matter of money or donations, but probably more that Yoyo can simply do more and better work on the Zodiac. It's much more fun for him I suspect. It's a superior platform, and because it's also a full Palm as well, it's also much more useful than a GP32. It can do everything. Games, PDA, news (avantgo), web browsing, movies, emus, music etc. and the screen is brilliant, bright, backlit and huge. Not to mention the controls, which are superb and happen to be in perfect SNES layout. :p And the overall build is incredible - the damn thing is completely made of METAL! You have to hold one to understand.

You can stay loyal to GP32, that's great, I don't blame you because I also know how great the GP32 was for its time. But if you ever see LJZ running on a Zodiac you'll understand how good the system is, and why I chose to leave the GP32 for it. When I first learned about the Zodiac (then called "Helix") and the specs I immediately thought to myself - sounds like an advanced version of GP32. In a way, it is - so don't hate or envy it - if anything, check it out - you might just want one. I really see Zodiac having a tremendous dev scene within the next 6 months - it's already on the way as you can see. Plus we have commercial games and apps as well, and the thousands of Palm programs - it's a wonderful platform.
Nice Zodiac advertisement, Tapwave should hire you.

Memnoch posted on Apr 15 2004 at 05:11 AM said:
It's the battery thing that puts me off the Zodiac - and the hefty price tag to get one in the UK. Good luck to yoyo, although he did post a little while back saying he hasn't deserted us.
The Z's battery actually is VERY good. You'd quickly come to appreciate it in terms of capacity. I have never run my Z down below maybe 20 or 30 % in one day. Still, replaceable batteries are better, but the battery is really not an issue on the Zodiac, it lasts a long time. I used to use rechargable AA's in my GP32, and I know how little time you got on a set - always had to carry around a second set. The Zodiac gets maybe 3 or 4 times (more depending what you do) what a set of rechargeable AA's got on the GP32. So you see it's not really an issue in terms of time/capacity.

As for price, yeah, it's certainly expensive, especially if you must import it. But then again if you compare it to other Palm PDA's with similar features the price is actually very good. You have to remember it's not just a game system, it's also a full out state-of-the-art Palm OS device.

I know everyone's groaning, but personally, I'm going with the be happy type attitude - simply because, as Prophet says, the Zodiac is effectively an advanced GP32. So with a bit of luck, it'll be easy for Yoyo to port back to us.

But even if he doesn't, it won't matter much.

Why do I say that, you might ask? Well, the fact is, the whole point about OpenSnes9x, apart from being an amazing Snes emu, is that it is exactly what its name claims. Open.

So what does that mean?

It means that when Yoyo releases the source for the Zodiac version next, it should not be a mammoth task for *anyone* with coding knowledge to port it back to GP32, especially if they've got the most recent source for the GP version to hand to see where it got changed to the Zodiac archectecture. If yoyo hasn't left us, then it doesn't matter anyway, but if he *has* then, if you see my point, because of the similar archetectures and the fact that at some point the Zodiac version's source will be available, it still pretty much doesn't matter. Either way the code will be in the wild, and with any luck, won't need a huge amount of optimizing to account to the Zodiac's faster processor or more ram...

Which is a rather nice situation to be in, don't you think?

Prophet posted on Apr 15 2004 at 05:27 AM said:
The Z's battery actually is VERY good. You'd quickly come to appreciate it in terms of capacity. I have never run my Z down below maybe 20 or 30 % in one day. Still, replaceable batteries are better, but the battery is really not an issue on the Zodiac, it lasts a long time. I used to use rechargable AA's in my GP32, and I know how little time you got on a set - always had to carry around a second set. The Zodiac gets maybe 3 or 4 times (more depending what you do) what a set of rechargeable AA's got on the GP32. So you see it's not really an issue in terms of time/capacity.

As for price, yeah, it's certainly expensive, especially if you must import it. But then again if you compare it to other Palm PDA's with similar features the price is actually very good. You have to remember it's not just a game system, it's also a full out state-of-the-art Palm OS device.
I read that you have to send the whole unit back to Tapwave when you need a replacement battery and that's the bit that put me off. The price I'm hoping will come down and that's when I'll consider getting one. It does indeed look a smart system and I'd love to have the best of both worlds (GP32 + Zodiac).

It's the battery thing that puts me off the Zodiac - and the hefty price tag to get one in the UK.  Good luck to yoyo, although he did post a little while back saying he hasn't deserted us.

I think he was refering to the fact that the Battery in the Zodiac is not user replaceable as it is hardwired into the unit like the ipod. This means when it stops taking a charge you will need to mail your unit back for battery replacement. AA batteries either disposable or rechargeable are easily obtainable from anywhere. This is something that concerns me as well.

hey prophit hows is its video player is it perfect quality? how big are the video files when you put it on your zodiac? what can the mp3 player support? how is the mp3 playe? how much memory can you add on? and are the cards expensive?

The Z's battery actually is VERY good. You'd quickly come to appreciate it in terms of capacity. I have never run my Z down below maybe 20 or 30 % in one day. Still, replaceable batteries are better, but the battery is really not an issue on the Zodiac, it lasts a long time.

The battery is a HUGE issue, and the reason why I havent and probably wont, get a zodiac. I dont care if the battery lasts for 12 months without being recharged, thats not the issue at all. The issue is simply:

If GamePark goes out of bussiness tomarrow. I can still play my GP32 _FOREVER_. AA Batteries can be purchased anywhere.

If Zodiac goes out of bussiness in a couple years (you cant say it wont, many handheld companies have come and gone), and your battery dies (as ALL rechargables eventually do, some faster than others), your zodiac is dead and useless. A $400 paperwieght. (sure you could plug it in if it lets you (I dont know if it does) but thats not very portable). Zodiac is losing and will continue to lose, customers because of their proprietary battery.

I'm sad. I got my GamePark in january, right after the last version was released, thinking that yoyofr would deliver me with a full speed snes emulator, which was really all I ever wanted to have on the GP32... (and I mean that, actually)

and yes, I'd pay for a fullspeed snes emulator, I'd pay quite some money for it! ...but if we start donating now, it's a childish act in desperation :/ I won't force him if doesn't want to do it..

I have to agree with Prophet, after you use a Zodiac and see the screen, etc. there is no going back. I used to own both, but I had the joystick problem with the Zodiac and sent it back. Now that that problem is fixed, I may get another one soon. I sold my GP32 because the screen drove me nutz. It's nice, but the Zodiac crushes it, and I don't like the frontlight, it washes out the colors. And the fact that hardly any of the emulators feel finished, which was why I want a portable to begin with.
But, let's not forget about the Nintendo DS or the Sony PSP. There may be homebrew games and emus for those. The DS can play GBA games supposedly, so if they release a flashlinker you can use all the Emus from the GBA scene, which would be sweet. They might even run faster too. So maybe I'll wait awhile and see what happens. The GP32 BLU looks sweet though...

all of you people are kind of funny.
but it's ok, I guess I am too.

Anyway, yoyo has always seemed like a "nice, determined "kind of guy. Not to take away fromthe other emu authors out there, who also were quite generous.. bu the always seemed to not give too much of a shit when there was heavy nagging going on around here (much like in this current thread..). Just a happy attitude and "wait to see what I can do next!!" With that in mind, I would be surprised if he has actually abandoned the GP32 scene, I mean I strongly suspect we'll see at least another update of OSNES9X even if it still won't be as far along/complete as the Z version.. still it would be a hefty impovement, I imagine (just clearing up some bugs and speed issues at least). I mean, he seems like the type who'd throw us a bone.

And if not, well -- that's cool too. A shame, sure, but hey, we got a lot of mileage from the last version (compared to what's been around before). Hell for just LittleJohn alone, that should be more than enough I say! Anyway, if an update sees the light of day, that's great, I am happy. If not, then yeah people are gonna be disappointed and etc but.. screw it, it was some good times and still a pretty capable emulator.

I am still not interested in the Z. It sounds mighty impressive, and flashy - but it's overkill for a "casual" handheld gamer like me. I don't care about palm stuff. I don't care about watching tons of movies on a little pocket device. I just want to play games, I mean TONS of games, that look and play well (and there's a lot that look and play excellent on GP32). Is it missing a couple buttons for the Street Fighters? Yeah. Is the frontlight a little funky? Sometimes. But damn, I can play Shinobi on PCE while I carpool to work with my friend, I can play ms pacman or Galaga while I am sitting on the crapper, I can chill out on the couch and kick it with some Ninja Gaiden.. That's pretty much all I've ever wanted. Someday soon (next few years) I am sure we'll see the be-all end-all handheld solution, with perfect battery life, perfect screen, perfect storage solution, perfectly affordable price. Man, I can wait until then, there's more than enough games that play on GP32 to keep me occupied for the time being. Plus we got Mame right around the corner, for real this time (I am banking on it). No Neo Geo or CPS2, but who cares - I want my old-ass 80's games, that's what Mame is all about!!

Yoyo, Rlyeh, Zardoz, Black, Mirko, Craig - and all the rest of you - you've done a kickass job bringing lots of quality hack-ware to the GP32 and I wouldn't have it any other way. The scene would not be so much fun if it wasn't as dramatic as it's been, if we got all the prog's right away then no one'd appreciate them. They'll be out sometime, for something. Until that day, we got plenty. Stop whining and be a little thankful, GP32r's. Play some GPEngine and some Atari 800, or just sell your unit on eBay and buy "the next model.." Ok, rant over.

To be honest i wouldn't take prophets words as gospel.

Just yesterday there was a thread started by people complaining about battery life. Sure, some said you can get it to run for six/seven hours, if you just use it for pim applications. But the truth was, run either nesem or LJZ and battery life was hitting as little as 2 hours OR LESS for people who dared have the back light on at anything over 75% power and have the volume at similar levels!

Also, as hyped as the screen is, im sure i read somewhere that its size actually cripples it when it comes to full screen gaming, if anything it may have been too big.

Lastly, with nintendo throwing its weight around i don't think we'll see any emulators that are more advanced than ones which currently run FS2/3 on the gp32. Perhaps they'll get a stripped down version of FPSE but nothing more powerful than that is even remotely possible, namely because the coders will be put in prison!

The Zodiac is a nice bit of kit, no doubt about it. But I want a games machine, I really don't want to pay extra for PDA functions (I guess if you want that as well, it's a bargain), and to be honest, it isn't fast enough for me to be worth upgrading, nor is the screen that much bigger. If I wanted to buy a new PC, I would wait until I could get one that was at least double the speed of my existing one- or faster, with a larger monitor etc. I'm not made of money, and i'll wait for the next cutting edge piece of handheld hardware, not a 'slightly' faster improvement on the GP. So I guess i'm looking to see how Gametrac, PSP, and god forbid a GP64 (well I can hope!) perform. *edit* or zodiac 3 ;)

Back