Open-source Games That You Like?

rick0815

Merged master list into first post to keep everything organized- Chip

I hope this help a bit
unsure.gif
Thanks to Chip for putting this post to the first page
smile.gif
Please report broken links/links to non-open-source-games/suggestions for improvement via PM to meMost of the comments behind the links are quotes from the linked website.

_______________________________________Collections of open source games:

debian
lgames
blogspot
happypenguin
asahi-net
icculus
walaber

_______________________________________1st person shooter:

Chex Quest 3 is a total conversion of the computer game Doom (specifically Ultimate Doom).
Screenshots

FreeDoom. The Freedoom project aims to create a complete Doom-based game which is Free Software.
Screenshots

Alien Arena. The goal of Alien Arena was to create the perfect marriage between Quake and Unreal Tournament
Screenshots

Open UT. The OpenUT Project was formed to develop libraries, executables, and tools relevant to the Unreal Tournament engine.
Screenshots

Open Arena is a first person shooter based on the ioquake3 fork of the id tech 3 engine.
Screenshots

Nexuiz. The goal of the project is to create a high quality first person shooter that can be played freely across all platforms in one package
Screenshots

Duke Nukem 3d high resolution. Well, good old Duke
wink.gif

Screenshots

Sauerbraten (a.k.a. Cube 2) is a free multiplayer/singleplayer first person shooter, built as a major redesign of the Cube FPS.
Screenshots

Alien versus Predator. This is a Linux port of the Fox Interactive / Rebellion Developments game, Aliens versus Predator (Gold Edition).
Screenshots

Cube Engine. Free single and multi player 1st person shooter game with some satisfying fast oldskool gameplay.
Screenshots

Warsow is a free standalone first person shooter game for Windows and Linux. It is based on the Qfusion 3D engine (a modification of the Quake 2 GPL engine), and aimed on the competitive scene, or the e-sports community.
Screenshots

Urban Terror started as a realism based "total conversion" mod for Quake III Arena. Nowadays, Urban Terror is played using the free, stand-alone, ioquake3 engine modified, which doesn't require Quake III Arena, in addition to being an add-on to id Software's Quake III Arena.
Screenshots

_______________________________________Strategy:

Glest is a free 3D real-time strategy game and also an engine to make strategy games.
Screenshots

The Battle for Wesnoth is a free, turn-based strategy game with a fantasy theme. Build up a great army of humans, elves, dwarves, orcs, trolls or any of the other races and beat those who dare to oppose you.
Screenshots

Homeworld is a real-time strategy computer game, set and played in a 3D space environment. Developed by Relic Entertainment, it was released for the PC in 1998 to worldwide acclaim, winning multiple awards for its novel gameplay and strong single-player story. Relic Entertainment later released the source code to the public under licence.
Screenshots

FreeCol is a turn-based strategy game based on the old game Colonization, and similar to Civilization. The objective of the game is to create an independent nation.
Screenshots

Outer Space is an on-line strategy game which takes place in the dangerous universe.

Scorched 3d is a simple turn-based artillery game and also a real-time strategy game in which players can counter each others' weapons with other creative accessories, shields and tactics.
Screenshots

sc2-The Ur-Quan Masters
Screenshots
wesbrown18 said:
Ur-Quan Masters compiles out of the box on Angstrom/BB.Consider this one done for the Pandora.
Warzone 2100 is a 3D realtime strategy game on a future Earth.
Screenshots

FreeCiv is a Free and Open Source empire-building strategy game inspired by the history of human civilization.
Screenshots

UFO Alien invasion. It is the year 2084. You control a secret organisation charged with defending Earth from a brutal alien enemy. Build up your bases, prepare your team, and dive head-first into the fast and flowing turn-based combat.
Screenshots

TripleA is a turn based strategy game engine and axis and allies clone.
Screenshots

Clonk is a highly versatile multiplayer game of strategy, action, skill, and fun!
Screenshots

Spring is a project aiming to create a new and versatile RTS Engine.
Screenshots

LordsAWar. A turn-based strategy game where up to 8 players strive for control of as many cities as possible.

Wargus is a Warcraft2 Mod that allows you to play Warcraft2 with the Stratagus engine, as opposed to play it with the original Warcraft2 one.

_______________________________________Simulation:

Stunt Playground is a fully 3D stunt driving game for the windows PC. A Mac version is also available.

(PM from GeneralZod:) Stunt Playground itself is open source, but relies on a proprietary physics engine that (last time I looked) had no ARM port(..)

Free Space 2. This virtually unknown game consistently won awards for being a great action space sim, but never really caught on when it was released. The Source Code Project has worked, and continues to work, on improving the graphics and gameplay of this ten-year-old game. See the screenshots page; I think they pretty much speak for themselves.
Screenshots

BZFlag is a free online multiplayer cross-platform open source 3D tank battle game.
Screenshots

Flight Gear is a free flight simulator project.
Screenshots

OoLite is a space sim game, inspired by Elite, powered by Objective-C and OpenGL, and designed as a small game that is easy for users to pick up, modify and expand upon.
Screenshots

Netrek is a multi-player battle simulation with a Star Trek theme.
Screenshots

Danger from the Deep (known as dangerdeep or DftD) is a free (as in free speech), Open Source World War II german submarine simulator.
Screenshots

Flying Guns is a flight- and battlefield simulator used to develop and test approaches for low-resource, internet enabled games and distributed simulation.
Screenshots

Battle Just Started is 3D arcade tank battle game.
Screenshots

_______________________________________Racing:

TORCS, The Open Racing Car Simulator.
Screenshots

VDrift is a cross-platform, open source driving simulation made with drift racing in mind.
Screenshots

PlanetPenguin Racer is an OpenGL racing game featuring Tux, the Linux mascot.

Super Tux Kart is a Free 3D kart racing game, with many tracks, characters and items for you to try.
Screenshots

Extreme Tux Racer is an open-source downhill racing game starring Tux, the Linux mascot.
Screenshots

_______________________________________God:

Open Transport Tycoon Deluxe is an open source clone of the Microprose game "Transport Tycoon Deluxe", a popular game originally written by Chris Sawyer.
Screenshots

LinCity-ng is a SimCity-like game, a polished and improved version of the old LinCity game.
Screenshots

_______________________________________Shoot em up:

Torus Trooper is an abstract shooter, created by Kenta Cho and ported to Linux by Evil Mr Henry.
Screenshots

Open Tyrian is a port of the DOS shoot-em-up Tyrian.
Screenshots

Frozen Bubble

Word War Vi is the place to fight the holy war
wink.gif

Kobo Deluxe is an enhanced version of Akira Higuchi's game XKobofor Un*x systems with X11. Kobo Deluxe uses SDLfor graphics, sound and input, which makes it possible to build and run the game on pretty much anything.
Screenshots

_______________________________________Jump'n Run

Open Sonic is a free open-source game based on the "Sonic the Hedgehog" universe.
Screenshots

Fez is an experimental game collective formed by a rare union of Montreal gamemakers and curators to promote games as an art form and expressive medium worldwide.
Screenshots

Super Tux is a classic 2D jump'n run sidescroller game in a style similar to the original SuperMario games.
Screenshots

Tee Worlds
Screenshots

Jump n Bump. A multiplayer little platform program that would be very fun to play in pandora (Uses SDL)
Screenshots
There is already a GP2X Port!!

Secret Maryo Chronicles is an Open Source two-dimensional platform game with a style designed similar to classic sidescroller games. It uses the platform independent library SDL and, since version 0.98, the OpenGL accelerated Graphics Renderer. The game is developed in C++.
Screenshots

_______________________________________Wormslike games:

Hedgewars
Screenshots

OpenLieroX

Wormux
Screenshots

_______________________________________Arcade games:

ArmageTron A.D. is a multiplayer game in 3d that attempts to emulate and expand on the lightcycle sequence from the movie Tron.
Screenshots

Mother of all gravity games. In this game you are pilot of a small space ship and have to navigate it through different caves by using the thrusters and rotating the ship.

Freedroid. Paradroid clone.
Screenshots

Neverball. Tilt the floor to roll a ball through an obstacle course before time runs out. Neverball is part puzzle game, part action game, and entirely a test of skill.
Screenshots

BlockOut 2 is a free adaptation of the original BlockOut® DOS game edited by California Dreams in 1989.

Ri-li. You drive a toy wood engine in many levels and you must collect all the coaches to win.
Screenshots

_______________________________________Puzzle:

Enigma is a puzzle game inspired by Oxyd on the Atari ST and Rock'n'Roll on the Amiga.
Screenshots

Fish Fillets NG is a Linux port of wonderful puzzle game Fish Fillets from ALTAR interactive.
Screenshots

_______________________________________Role Playing games:

NAEV is a 2d action/rpg space game that combines elements from the action, rpg and simulation genres.
Screenshots

GemRB (Game engine made with preRendered Background) is a portable open-source implementation of Bioware's Infinity Engine which was written to support pseudo-3D role playing games based on the Dungeons & Dragons ruleset.
Screenshots

Exult is a project to recreate Ultima 7 for modern operating systems, using the game's original plot, data, and graphics files.
Screenshots

xu4 - Ultima IV Recreated is a remake of the computer game Ultima IV.
Screenshots
wesbrown18 said:
Consider xu4/Ultima 4 done and ready for the Pandora more or less with a few hours of work. I ported it to my Beagle Board.
_______________________________________Roguelike games:

Nethack

Scourge is a cross platform, open source rogue-like game in the fine tradition of NetHack and Moria
Screenshots

Powder. A fun an addictive roguelike. (Uses SDL)
Screenshots

vulture's eye/claw. A pretty isometrical interface for nethack / slashem. (Uses SDL)
Screenshots

NoeGNUD. A 3D graphical interface for NetHack and Slash'EM (Uses SDL)
Screenshots

_______________________________________Board games:

gnuChess. Free Chess game

Brutal Chess features full 3D graphics, an advanced particle engine, and several different levels of intelligent AI, inspired by the once popular "Battle Chess" released by Interplay circa 1988.
Screenshots

gnuBg. Free Back GammonSDL_Go is a graphical interface for GnuGo using the SDL-Library. This program is no Go program, it does not even know the Rules (except some basics), it just sends the things you input down to GnuGo and displays the results for you.

GnuGo is the program that lends all its intelligence to SDL_Go. You need at least version 2.7.137 for SDL_Go to do it's work.

_______________________________________Other or "I don't know" games
wink.gif
:

Pingus is a free Lemmings-like game covered under the GNU GPL.
Screenshots

Frets On Fire is a game of musical skill and fast fingers. The aim of the game is to play guitar with the keyboard as accurately as possible.
Screenshots

XMoto
Screenshots

Sonic Robo Blast 2
Screenshots

Zeq2Grid Wars

BSD Games

Circus Linux
Screenshots

FooBillard

Step Mania

Descent2

_______________________________________Games removed from list:

Klepto said:
Savage 2 is not open source (..). Savage 1 is closed source freeware AFAIK.
Savage and Savage2 removed. Both seems not to be open source regarding wikipedia.

Typhoon a freeware game... removed. Seems not to be open source.
Svartalf said:
ricki said:
Shouldn't have been removed.(...)

Thanks, it's back in the list.

Metroid 2 remake. Removed
yosh64 said:
FAQ:

- Are you gonna release the source code?
No.
Anyhows sorry to burst anyones bubbles

As far as I can see Crayon Physics is not open source

Rigs Of Rods
RoR is a freeware: it is given free of charge (but the source code is closed).Thanks to GeneralZod for PM me about this.----------------------

I edited my opening post to add this link above. But there is a limit of only 6 images per post, so now (because I edited this post) the images below the 6th one won't be displayed.Maybe some of them could come preloaded on Pandora?

Anyway, I'd like to know your list, maybe there are few pearls that I missed?

Torcs, The Open Racing Car Simulator
131_1.jpg

Planet Penguin Racer
ppracer-01.jpg

Neverball & Neverputt
(wikipedia entry)
neverball_ss2.png

Freeciv, man I could play days and never stop
Freeciv-2.1.0-beta3-sdl_slack11.0.png

Lgames set: barrage, lbreakout, etc - very small footprint, simple and entertaining.barrage (shooting an artilerry cannon):
ss1.jpg

lbreakout (arkanoid clone):http://lgames.sourceforge.net/LBreakout2/ss2.jpg
foobillard, sf.net page.
snooker-big.jpg

freedoom
aad.png

Freedroid, extremely addictive, until you win (two days), very small footprint (do not confuse this one with freedroid RPG, which returns more google results)
legacy2.jpg

frozen-bubble - very fun also
Frozen-Bubble.png

gnuchess
(wikipedia) - how can be a handheld gaming device without chess?
wink.gif

comm...board_4.2.7.png

Mother of all gravity games
moagg_ss.png

Pingus a free lemmings clone
pingus.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Neverball would be nice.

Armagetron Advanced would also be cool, not listed here but mentioned previously.

Maybe freecol?

are there any open sourced mmorpg like Ultima online? Would be frikken sweet to have that portable!!! Id go bonkers if someone found a way to get WoW on the pandora. To bad it aint open sourced and single player.

As for some games id like to See tetris 5000, Maybe the enchanced version of jfduke with updated graphics and bejeweled!!!

Seriously, there are sooo many you can't possibly list them all here.

A good source for open-source games is the great freegamer blog:

http://freegamer.blogspot.com

@ waffels: The requirements are generally not that bad, and the Pandora is quite fast. In general a few games might really be impossible (haven't seen one in this thead yet though) and quite a few will pose quite a lot of porting effort to make them run (in which category some of the games posted here would fit).

P.S.: All the Freespace2 modifications and Homeworld1 HAVE to be ported ;)

P.S.S.: NO OpenUT can NOT be ported as is is only a small part of the UT source code!!! Didn't we have this discussion about a 100 times already??? When will this stupid idea ever die in this Forum?

waffles said:
is it really possible for these to be ported, from a graphical standpoint?
I don't think the graphics are the problem, probably the physics will be the problem. Raw CPU power is lacking in other words.

Graphics can always be solved with lower poly models, lower quality textures, or less shaders, even clipping if you really need it.

I don't think any of these games is really a problem though. We only have 800x480 pixels to draw, the PowerVR can do that without breaking a sweat.

Edit, thanks everybody, I just downloaded Lincity and rigs of rods, will try them out :) Cheers!

Freespace 2 is a must.
the quake 3 mods: MOH, padman, star trek etc...
warzone

Phun is not opensource... I think it was bought and the source has never been released.

greendots said:
Freespace 2 is a must.
the quake 3 mods: MOH, padman, star trek etc...
warzone

Phun is not opensource... I think it was bought and the source has never been released.
Yuck, I can't stand Free Space games, at least you didn't call it Descent (it isn't descent).

I want to See Descent and Descent ][ , also Descent Maximum will play on a Descent ][ engine.

Full source and several ports already (Including GP32 and GP2X, just not enough power to make it really playable)

http://www.descent2.com/ddn/

D2XL, D2X-Rebirth, D2-OGL, etc. The OpenGL ports could probably come over no problem, as well as the SDL ports.

cosurgi said:
Oh, and Phun 2D, not exactly a game, but very fun
800px-Tower.png

Phun isn't opensource? Wasn't that just a project someone made for university?
i kinda start to think that you're a swede? :p

You could probably spend days trawling happypenguin and find loads of suitable candidates. Here's a few I like and haven't been mentioned yet...

Warzone 2100, originally closed source but has been open for a while.
warzone_2100.jpg

UFOAI
ingame009.jpg

S.C.O.U.R.G.E.
scourge-1.png

And one that's closed source but is free and so good I suggest we all chip in and buy the developer a Pandora so he might possibly make us a port please: Typhoon 2001 :)
screen_t2k1_ingame_4.jpg

Back