Open-source Games That You Like?

Well this thread finaly lured me out to register.

Seconding UFO:AI its an awesome game.
A port of Teeworlds could work with the use of touchscreen.

040shot1lz0.png

Bremze said:
Well this thread finaly lured me out to register.

Seconding UFO:AI its an awesome game.
A port of Teeworlds could work with the use of touchscreen.

040shot1lz0.png

Yeah, Teaworlds would be awesome! +1

Last edited by a moderator:
_DiGiTaL_ said:
X-Moto

+1

I have a feeling that this will be my primary use of the pandora

Seriously I`ve been playing this game everyday for two months, and i NEVER get addicted to games. Not even tetris.

junker said:
is there support for the use of gamepads? how would that work..driver wise?
The mass majority of USB joysticks just work under the kernel the Pandora is using. (2.6.26). Since StepMania already has the joystick-listening stuff to remap keys, it would be as easy as plugging the joystick in and going to control settings in the StepMania options. (Dance pads, IIDX DJ turntables, and etc all act as joysticks)

IIDX controllers and the like need a ps2 controller adapter, and this will work just fine then? Man, the pandora looks like it'll be a great portable console.

junker said:
IIDX controllers and the like need a ps2 controller adapter, and this will work just fine then? Man, the pandora looks like it'll be a great portable console.
Yes, on my Linux box running kernel 2.6.24, both my DDR pad and IIDX controllers show up as a joystick in /dev/input/jsX. I suspect the Pandora will make a great mini StepMania machine.

AireTamStorm said:
junker said:
Yes, on my Linux box running kernel 2.6.24, both my DDR pad and IIDX controllers show up as a joystick in /dev/input/jsX. I suspect the Pandora will make a great mini StepMania machine.

You have to be careful what adapter you get, though - for example, Dilong PU-203 and similar ones don't work for dance pads whether on Windows or Linux, in spite of them actually being advertised as working with dance pads.

AireTamStorm said:
junker said:

Mini StepMania machine, you say? :lol:

Since lots of people want to know what games will be available at launch, I've made a list of games/apps which are actually feasible for the Pandora, with working versions possible either a few days after or a month after launch.

I looked at the specs required, in combination with searching for a readily-available ARM debian package for the game/app. There are so many games and apps which already have ARM ports, it means there are lots of Linux-native games which will almost work out of the box (with the right drivers and possibly a little tweaking).

Each app is rated out of 10 in terms of how quickly and easily they could be ported. I haven't included anything that could take much longer to port.

1. [6/10] Flight Gear Flight Simulator

flightgear.JPG

An ARM port is readily available. It requires an OpenGL card with 64MB of RAM - Dedicate the other 64MB to the actual program and this could be possible. The textures may have to be toned down slightly to get a good framerate. The dual analog sticks will make flying quite easy.

2. [8/10] Wormux

Wormux.JPG

This game's similar to the Worms games, and should work on the Pandora. An ARM Port is available. It requires 256MB of RAM, which will have to be cut down somehow. Other than that, this game will work very well. This game could use the touchscreen for much of the gameplay.

3. [10/10] Open Arena

Open%20Arena.JPG

A Quake 3-style FPS which will work brilliantly on the Pandora. An ARM port is available, and the game can be scaled to any processor. The game will be very playable with 128mb of RAM, as it can run on as little as 32MB. The processor in the Pandora will give gorgeous frame rates, especially with the OpenGL ES power. What's more, the dual analog sticks should make gameplay very fun indeed. Wifi means internet multiplayer. Awesome!

4. [7/10] Extreme Tux Racer

Tux.JPG

Slide a penguin down a hill. Again, an ARM port is available. but the textures will need to be lowered slightly. The Pandora is otherwise perfectly suited for this game.

______

I might do more later, but that's a start...

Add your own by searching here:

http://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=

Search for an app/game in the top-right corner, and make sure you click "ARM" for the architecture. Once you've confirmed an app has an ARM port, look at the project website to see the specs.

Frozen Bubble I think that should be easy to port.

68563-Frozen%20Bubble-51922.png

ARM is available and game itself is fun like hell without high hardware requirements

Description from wikipedia: Frozen Bubble is a free software Puzzle Bobble style computer game which is available on several operating systems including Linux, Windows, Mac OS X and the Symbian Series 60 line of smartphones. There is also a single player Java applet version.

this is brilliant, i just got a little giddy thinking about open arena on a handheld!! what about nexuiz? how easy will that be to port

Cew27 said:
this is brilliant, i just got a little giddy thinking about open arena on a handheld!! what about nexuiz? how easy will that be to port
Here are System Requirements for "low quality":

- 1 Ghz Pentium III or AMD Athlon
- Geforce2 Video card
- 512 MB of ram

So I don't think it's possible.

taken from the open arena website
You can run/play it on processors as slow as a Pentium 90MHz with 32MB of RAM, but it is recommended for at least a PII 233MHz processor, with at least 96MB of RAM, for any playability. This game is MORE DETAILED than that other one.

Back