Pandora-2 Or Pandora Professional

lyssdod

Still Fresh
What do you think about it? You'll ask me, what am i meaning, saying about this, and my answer will be - new hardware.
For example, latest iphone's :D

Why i'm thinking of that? I know, the main goal of pandora's project is open standards and so on, but just imagine - 1Ghz (apple) vs 600 Mhz (our) and the main thing - their retina display, which has resolution of 960x640 with screen size quite similar to ours (compare with our resolution). I know, that it must be new board design, new appearance, new everything, but...just imagine it! (and of coarse camera on the top of screen for placing videocalls)

i know that i'm failing, but i recently read about apple's new display and had a thought: why pandora can't have such one? why pandora can't be the coolest and gadget?

A few guys in Europe putting together a console can't compete with Apple, the current richest tech company in the world, when it comes to using the latest and greatest. It just isn't possible. They don't have access to a lot of the same technology, and they don't have the resources to design and manufacture products using the tech they can get nearly as quickly. I'd be surprised if OP can even buy "retina displays."

I would like to just see a Pandora with an OLED 800 x 480 screen. The screens do exist but are more expensive. I would like to see 2 versions maybe the current LCD version and an OLED "Pandora plus" version that costs a bit more due to the screen.. That is a dream though and won't likely happen.

I would like to see all the juice squeezed out of the pandora first :) meaning some really nice pandora specific games, DSp utilization etc. lets see what this thing can do, before putting a lot of effort into panda2. Announcing panda2 will probably hold back quite some development for the pandora.

Gruntfuggly said:
I would like to see a Pandora. ;)

62-3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd quite like to see the Pandora software market shine, get beyond all these tired ports of old emulators (seriously, I'm getting quite bored with emulation as a subject, personally, its not so much fun as it used to be) and I wonder if soon we'll see some new, innovative, Pandora-exclusive software being written by some of the more creative and talented members of this community. I really hope there are some nice, under-promoted projects in the midst of all the mundane stuff. TBH, emulation is great and all, but fun projects that push the limits of creativity is also pretty damn great, and I hope to see more of it.

I think the Pandora (V1) has more than enough resources for interesting new ideas and games to evolve, and I really hope we can move into that territory soon.

Somehow all the "creative ideas" are trying to get big audiences unfortunately the pandora does not generate that. BTW topor what are you working on?

Its true, the "creative ideas" go for the big audiences, and I guess this means Android/iPhone these days (in the handheld space), but there is always the chance for some underground break-through hit to come from this scene, and I hope it happens before the community implodes on itself. The Pandora, being rare as hell, certainly has the opportunity to produce some mad gem of a game .. and I'm hoping we'll see that some time in the future.

EDIT: Bosbeetle, I've got a MIDI synth I've made just for the Pandora in the works, currently trying to make a GLES/1.1-based interface for it, just for grins and giggles (3D knobs and sliders and VU meter and so on) .. and as well a very simple 2D shooter game I want to release as soon as I've smoothed out the tools/harness to easily port it to Wiz/Caanoo/Pandora/GP2X and release simultaneously on all platforms - so some toolchain/setup stuff to finish on the Caanoo side of things tonight, and I can get some progress made. I spend my day-job at work hacking SIL-4 code for safety critical applications, and sometimes I get quite burned out, but this anyway, I'm going to spend all my spare hacking time this week on getting some things ready for release by the weekend, since I think I owe it to the community for 'trolling' Exophase so much lately ..

I sure wish I could put some of my ideas into fruition. Haven't got the time or the stamina, I am still reading the music theory PD book though. Sadly I am not in the creative idea department. When I have more time somewhere in spring 2011 I will try to make a mario clone together with my friend who made superbread in mtpaint.

Edit: hehe just dont burn out for real

I love the Puredata book, its a wonderful thing to read .. Puredata on Pandora is overdue, I'll maybe have another look at my ~/hak/pandora/ports folder tonight and see what state I left it in, last time I played with it .. would be lovely to have PD on the Pandora working smoothly and without problems, there are so many amazing PD patches out there, which would make the Pandora a very delicious platform.

torpor said:
I love the Puredata book, its a wonderful thing to read .. Puredata on Pandora is overdue, I'll maybe have another look at my ~/hak/pandora/ports folder tonight and see what state I left it in, last time I played with it .. would be lovely to have PD on the Pandora working smoothly and without problems, there are so many amazing PD patches out there, which would make the Pandora a very delicious platform.

After seeing somebody perform with a DS (I think he was using korgds10) I've always wanted to see a pandora on stage :D

We (my band here in Vienna) use the DS10 quite a bit .. its a fantastic thing to run on a Nintendo DS, really lovely sound and my band-mate is really getting good at tweaking that thing .. For sure the Pandora has the balls for something like that ..

DaveC said:
I would like to just see a Pandora with an OLED 800 x 480 screen. The screens do exist but are more expensive. I would like to see 2 versions maybe the current LCD version and an OLED "Pandora plus" version that costs a bit more due to the screen.. That is a dream though and won't likely happen.
That would be sweeeet!!!

Back