Release Pandora Clock, with London 2012 Olympic Games Support!

ekianjo

Hardcore Member
Just updated the Pandora clock application, but since I added a feature which is relevant for the current time, I decided to make a new thread for it. Now Pandora Clock displays the latest news from the official London 2012 twitter feed, updated every few minutes for the latest news and results.

http://repo.openpandora.org/?page=detail&app=pandoraclock-app

You can see what it looks like below:

pando5.png

Of course, it can disabled/enabled for those who have no interest in Olympic games, by pressing "R" anytime.

Sounds great, would it be possible to add an option to select an alternative Twitter feed?

Even if this could be done by editing a config file then that would be a nice option.

Sounds great, would it be possible to add an option to select an alternative Twitter feed?

Even if this could be done by editing a config file then that would be a nice option.

Yup, this will be possible soon. Will do a minor revision during the weekend. I just wanted to release this first with the London 2012 event.

I removed this version and returned to previous version in the repo - due to a bug report - apparently the PND does not work as it is, I need to look into the libraries issues. Very sorry for the inconvenience.

Ok, finally managed to download the PND.

Gotta say again - I love the new color, it's just so natural for a digital clock.

Unfortunately the fix you implemented to prevent timeout when trying to fetch weather hasn't worked for me. It still get's stuck at that same screen nomatter how long I wait. The program doesn't freeze though; I can still press down on the dpad and read the help. Pressing Q again gets me out of that screen back to default time with no location data.

Interestingly it had no problem updating the feed.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk 2

Unfortunately the fix you implemented to prevent timeout when trying to fetch weather hasn't worked for me. It still get's stuck at that same screen nomatter how long I wait. The program doesn't freeze though; I can still press down on the dpad and read the help. Pressing Q again gets me out of that screen back to default time with no location data.

Interestingly it had no problem updating the feed.

Does it show that you have " net on" ? Apparently your internet connection is working if you can get the feed.

The issue may be with the yahoo.com server.

Could you try to do a ping form terminal to yahoo.com ?

ping http://www.yahoo.com

Please let me know what it returns.

Whoaaa....

Ok, it returns A LOT and it's still going...

64 bytes from ir2.fp.VIP.bf1.yahoo.com (98.139.183.24): icmp_seq=*** ttl=** time=1048 ms

The seq goes up by 1 each line, ttl is either 46 or 47, mostly 46. The ms fluctuates, but what I gave there was an average.

What I have noticed is that Pandora Clock is very very laggy for me. I've been running it at 600mhz... What is the optimal clock speed for it to run smooth?

Whoaaa....

Ok, it returns A LOT and it's still going...

64 bytes from ir2.fp.VIP.bf1.yahoo.com (98.139.183.24): icmp_seq=*** ttl=** time=1048 ms

The seq goes up by 1 each line, ttl is either 46 or 47, mostly 46. The ms fluctuates, but what I gave there was an average.

What I have noticed is that Pandora Clock is very very laggy for me. I've been running it at 600mhz... What is the optimal clock speed for it to run smooth?

Pandora Clock itself does not need much power - its a fairly simple application. But it may be your internet connection slowing it down. Have you tried the application without internet connection ? Does it still lag this way ?

You are right - it's my crappy internet connection slowing it down *big time*

With net off it's really smooth at default MHz.

I'll only be in this uncivilized part of the world for another two weeks - then I'll be spending the rest of the year in St. Francis Bay where I can at least get 3G.

Personally I'm not really bothered by not being able to get weather data while I'm here, and seeing as it appears I'm the only one with this issue - I don't think you should worry too much.

One feature which I think will benefit everyone though:

I decided to use Pandora Clock last night when going to sleep... So I pressed d for dim... But while the numbers fade out and the screen goes blank - it's still lit! So a black screen giving off light is still annoying (if you want to sleep without a nightlight). So I ended up just closing the lid.

How about lowering the brightness untill the screen is off instead? I'm sure it would also go towards saving battery power...

You are right - it's my crappy internet connection slowing it down *big time*

With net off it's really smooth at default MHz.

I'll only be in this uncivilized part of the world for another two weeks - then I'll be spending the rest of the year in St. Francis Bay where I can at least get 3G.

Personally I'm not really bothered by not being able to get weather data while I'm here, and seeing as it appears I'm the only one with this issue - I don't think you should worry too much.

One feature which I think will benefit everyone though:

I decided to use Pandora Clock last night when going to sleep... So I pressed d for dim... But while the numbers fade out and the screen goes blank - it's still lit! So a black screen giving off light is still annoying (if you want to sleep without a nightlight). So I ended up just closing the lid.

How about lowering the brightness untill the screen is off instead? I'm sure it would also go towards saving battery power...

I would not recommend anyone to use Pandora Clock as an alarm clock at this stage, I haven't worked that much on the implementation of such functions yet :) The Dim effect indeed only affects what is displayed on the screen, not the screen itself. Shutting off the screen may be possible, but I need to look into how it is done on Pandora. I'll put this as a next feature.

Thanks for the feedback and I hope you will get better results once you have a proper internet connection :)

The Dim effect indeed only affects what is displayed on the screen, not the screen itself. Shutting off the screen may be possible, but I need to look into how it is done on Pandora. I'll put this as a next feature.

sudo -n /usr/pandora/scripts/op_bright.sh <N>

See also

Maybe that helps :)

The Dim effect indeed only affects what is displayed on the screen, not the screen itself. Shutting off the screen may be possible, but I need to look into how it is done on Pandora. I'll put this as a next feature.

sudo -n /usr/pandora/scripts/op_bright.sh <N>

See also http://boards.openpa...-the-backlight/

Maybe that helps :)

I dont have time to check the link right now, but the sudo is the issue - I don't like the idea of requiring admin rights to do such a basic thing as putting the screen off. If there's another way to do it...

Last edited by a moderator:
I dont have time to check the link right now, but the sudo is the issue - I don't like the idea of requiring admin rights to do such a basic thing as putting the screen off. If there's another way to do it...

sudo -n will not ask for a password. You need root to change the backlight, there's no other way.

Any chance this app could be run as wallpaper (rainmeter style)?

If someone can tell me how to do that, maybe :)

sudo -n will not ask for a password. You need root to change the backlight, there's no other way.

Let me get this right - if I put this command in my application, then it will be transparent to the user? Nothing will pop up ?

Back