Pandora pandora repo/website/native app-manager development

Thott Chief said:
Hey milkshape, good work. The JSON php sounds very interesting, but can you post short instructions how to use it. For example, get all apps of this categorie or get all informations about this application. I would like to implement online acces in my C++ PND managing application.
I don't know if it's already in planning, but can you add a function to extend the given informations about applications like in a wiki. Because the informations in the PXML files are often very short.
Thott
Are you looking for that ?

EDIT: there is no "t" in you...

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes and no. When I view the output of the getData.php I get all avaible applications. But can i also give the getData.php a query like getData.php?id=viceVIC.pickle or getData.php?category=Emulators

no it doesnt have that functionality but to be fair with how small the size of the data that gets returned why query the site? why not just filter through the jSON with C++ search for the application details for the app id you need, shouldnt be too hard.

Ok at the moment that's a solution, but i think in the future when the repo gets bigger such a function make sense.

indeed it will, I may well implament that feature in the future, then i can say my site has an official repo API :p

Well, the repo doesn't update very often, and I don't see that changing in the future. It makes more sense to me to just download the full repo list once, then parse it to find specific categories or whatever you want at that instant. That's what my client does.

Of course, milkshake is free to add this as a feature. But I won't need it, and I won't recommend adding it to the repo spec so as to avoid needless complexity. Well, maybe list it in the spec as an optional feature. God, I sound like such a downer :p

I've finally managed to hook in to libpnd properly, so I'm now on my way with the client. Even though it's nowhere close to done, I've posted the code hoping someone might feel inclined to contribute (I've nearly written the first draft of my thesis, but that means I haven't stopped being busy yet).

A quick question milkshake: how does your JSON repository handle PNDs with multiple applications in them? I'm guessing that each application has its own entry, and each entry points to the same URI, but the spec doesn't really say clearly if that's true.

at the moment, my site ignores all but the first application in the Pnd, maybe i should change this? hmm I feel I might have to recode my XML check-list to cope with multiple application entries.
that might take a while but I suppose it should really be done like this already.

Milkshake, I think you might as well leave it as it is for now. This is another limitation of the PXML spec: there's no concept of packages, only applications. Now, all application IDs in your database are going to be unique. Therefore, it makes sense to look at the ID of the first application, and let that ID represent the package as a whole.

So yeah, no need for you to change that; I'll develop the same way.

I think all the main parties surrounding pnd, pxml spec need to get together we should chat or IRC or somthing, im there now, freenodes server #openpandora.

because you are very right in what you say pnd's should be dealt with as packages.

ok im descussin your past about app vs package with ivanovic in irc we might be adding another block in the PXML for package incase there is more than one app per pnd that way my main unique id, title, description, version etc will be for the package, but i can also display whats in each package when you view the details page.

http://openpandora.org/pipermail/firmware-dev/2011-February/000033.html

It doesn't show preview pics right now? As defined in the PXML file?

For those interested in the "internal behavior" of this repo implementation you might find this mail from milkshake to the firmware-dev mailing list interesting: http://openpandora.org/pipermail/firmware-dev/2011-February/000047.html
It basically mentions the process that each pnd will go through when being uploaded. Not all points in there are working perfectly yet, but it outlines the basic ideas.

Guys, as this gets nearer to launch please keep me in the loop. :) I'm (we are) ready and waiting to offer any blog coverage or other support you need. But I won't jump in before I'm asked to.

[edit] NVM, Foxblock is way ahead of me on this one!

mcobit said:
It doesn't show preview pics right now? As defined in the PXML file?
no because that would require mounting the pnd file which is somthing I cannot do because of the os of the server use.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, this looks great!

Just registrered. Is it intention, that the system recognises "CapitalAdres@where.ext" as invalid, but "capitaladres@where.ext" as valid?

Thinks I would like to mention so far:

- Search doesn't work at all neither with enter or by clicking somewhere
- I would place the "All - Categories" - Button a bit seperated from the other fields. As I first got there I searched something like this and didn't immidiatly find it.
- I would place the search on the right, since this is where I search for a search first ^^
- I think there should be a way to access the .pnds in the categories they would be sorted in on the pandora xfce. The categories bar on the top is nice but there should be better solutions.

Thanks again, looks and feels great so far. I'll test it on my pandora later. B)

Back