Pandora pandora repo/website/native app-manager development

So, tested it on the pandora I´m writing from now. Runs not completly fullspeed, but is definitly usable and fits very nice on the pandora screen. In addition to my requests above I would like to have a direct access to all apps beginning with the same letter if I sort by name. Also, the overview should show the download - number below the rating, I think.

Hey Milkshake quick question.
Can getData.php be relied upon to provide the repository file, or is it just how it currently happens to be?
thanks dude

Schnatterplatsch said:
Thinks I would like to mention so far:

- Search doesn't work at all neither with enter or by clicking somewhere
- I think there should be a way to access the .pnds in the categories they would be sorted in on the pandora xfce. The categories bar on the top is nice but there should be better solutions.

search hasnt been implamented yet anyway.
the category cloud at the top is how its sorted in XFCE they are all correct categories following the freedesktop specs.

Last edited by a moderator:
milkshake said:
no that jSON genrated by getData.phpautomatically changes if there are any new apps.
No no, I mean if I build myself a little update checker can I trust that getdata.php to always return the repo in json format. I guess it's not a big deal as I can just make it configurable though.

milkshake said:
Schnatterplatsch said:
Thinks I would like to mention so far:

- Search doesn't work at all neither with enter or by clicking somewhere
- I think there should be a way to access the .pnds in the categories they would be sorted in on the pandora xfce. The categories bar on the top is nice but there should be better solutions.

search hasnt been implamented yet anyway.
the category cloud at the top is how its sorted in XFCE they are all correct categories following the freedesktop specs.

Yeah, sure. But I think the sheme of first selecting a main category(Emulator, Game, App...) and then a sub category(Puzzle game, Action Game) is a bit nicer. Anyway, it's you choice. Maybe I'll do a little mockup how I qould imagine it to look later if I find some time.

Schnatterplatsch said:
Yeah, sure. But I think the sheme of first selecting a main category(Emulator, Game, App...) and then a sub category(Puzzle game, Action Game) is a bit nicer. Anyway, it's you choice. Maybe I'll do a little mockup how I qould imagine it to look later if I find some time.

Well as I one can see from the current cloud there are not that many different categories and all (including the sub-categories) are displayed so you actually can select the "Game->Puzzle" category directly (to save a click).
I think one would not gain much clarity by only displaying the main categories (of which there are only a small number anyway) and then expanding into the sub-categories.

For a middle ground: Maybe the main categories can be coloured differently or get a light-grey background.

I like it the way it is ;)

foxblock out

For a middle ground: Maybe the main categories can be coloured differently or get a light-grey background.

Maybe: Main categories are in the first line, a bit bolder and with a light background and the subcategories have their cloud below?

Hey milkshake, a minor issue with the JSON repo: you currently have categories appearing as
Code:
"categories":["Game;ActionGame"]
The single string with semicolon separator seems weird and doesn't really fit with the standard. Could you instead have it like
Code:
"categories":["Game","ActionGame"]
so that all categories and subcategories are part of a list? I know, this means all categories and subcategories are on the same level, but that's how .desktop files handle them (even though PXMLs don't).

I can do, but if for example the subcat is emulator how will u know wether or not that belongs to system or game? is there a method we can put into place like have the list in order i.e.

cat followed by subcat

Code:
"categories":["Game","ActionGame","AudioVideo","player"]

oh amd I only did it the above way because I thought thats how we agreed on it :p on op board

also tempel at the moment author is "optional" but i really think we should at least have authors name as "REQUIRED" what do u think?

milkshake said:
also tempel at the moment author is "optional" but i really think we should at least have authors name as "REQUIRED" what do u think?
Last time I checked, the author name was mandatory.
Checked here. still that ;)

milkshake said:
I can do, but if for example the subcat is emulator how will u know wether or not that belongs to system or game? is there a method we can put into place like have the list in order i.e.

cat followed by subcat
Code:
"categories":["Game","ActionGame","AudioVideo","player"]
oh amd I only did it the above way because I thought thats how we agreed on it :p on op board
I had to look for a while, but I found that discussion. I guess we just misunderstood each other :p . On the client side, sorting is easy; selecting "Emulators" will give both system and game emulators, but selecting both "Emulator" and "Game" will only give game emulators.

milkshake said:
You're right about that. Since it's mandatory in PXMLs, it should be available for every app listed in the repo. I've bumped the repo spec. Since you always have the author field, your site is compatible with v1.3; just update the version number in your repo to match.

cool beans, I think I listen to a certain someone that made me do it that way.

Klaue said:
As you can see in the examples of this, those entries are flat lists, you just list all that apply. Say your app was an action adventure, so you would want to put it in games and it's subcategories action and adventure, so you'd write "Game;ActionGame;AdventureGame"

also I will update it in the next couple of days so it lists them as you said :) but im working on my validation code again because of the upcoming "package" introduction.

Ah, I see where the mistake happened. Klaue was describing how categories are stored in a .desktop file; it's a flat list of categories, each separated by a semicolon. But since we're using JSON, we can have an actual list without needing any special string separators. But it doesn't really matter, no one's really to blame, and you'll change it quickly enough. But let me know when you do, so I can grab the latest repo for testing.

Just out of curiousity: Does your repo handle versions(or is it planned to handle those), so I can also download outdated versions of an emulator that doesn't run my *favourite game* in the recent version but did in formers?

Schnatterplatsch, no it does not, its down to the dev if he wants to update his app and overwrite the existing app details, the repo is ment for up to date files, but i suppose the dev could save prior versions on the apps page if I allow separate uploads... Ill look into it.

UPDATE:
I have almost completely re-written the upload/pnd validation/add to database script.
took me all week and now the upload page should now work again using the new scripts if anyone wants to test.

http://op.liquidfists.com

if you expecting to see the main site, thats not working yet, i wanna make sure the foundations are solid before going back to the main site.

if you find any little bugs or quirks please let me know.

Cool, I will try it out after work and see how invalid my PNDs are. (Prediction: Quite)

On a slightly different note, we (Pandorapress) are interested in putting a 'latest upload' RSS feed on the blog at some stage. More on that later though.

Back