Visit site
Old RAW/X Quake 1 52.5 fps 51.3 fps
New RAW/X Quake 1 50.2 fps 50.1 fps timedemo demo1
Old RAW/X Quake 2 38.4 fps 19.7 fps
New RAW/X Quake 2 40.1 fps 40.0 fps +set timedemo 1
Old RAW/X Quake 3 12.7 fps 12.4 fps
New RAW/X Quake 3 12.6 fps 12.3 fps +set timedemo 1 +demo four

Run at 500 Mhz

It should be be known that there was a nasty slowdown with dynamic lights, this is gone so both quake 1 and 2 are very smooth.
This driver is much better than the previous, especially since X performs on par with RAW access.

Hard to interpret but.. the new drivers are nice and smooth (no more burst on lighting), and equally fast in X as in RAW, which is wicked-awesome. (No more reason to leave X for opengl.)

jeff

Pickle said:
Code:
        Old               New 			
         Raw      			X       Raw      			X 			
  		 		 			Quake 1 			52.5 fps 			51.3 fps 			50.2 fps 			50.1 fps 			timedemo demo1
 Quake 2 			38.4 fps 			19.7 fps 			40.1 fps 			40.0 fps 			+set timedemo 1
 Quake 3 			12.7 fps 			12.4 fps 			12.6 fps 			12.3 fps 			+set timedemo 1 +demo four

Run at 500 Mhz

It should be be known that there was a nasty slowdown with dynamic lights, this is gone so both quake 1 and 2 are very smooth.
This driver is much better than the previous, especially since X performs on par with RAW access.
Quake 2 really taks a hit with X though. X does slow things down slightly on the others as well. I hope that in the future the more minimal menus will allow better performance. I also noticed that sometimes games will start chugging terribly for a few seconds then smooth out. Must be due to the OS doing something in the background. With simpler launchers hopefully this will be gone. If All I am going to do is play a game I don't need the desktop (which will be most cases) so hopefully this will support it.

Also will this be able to eventually assign buttons and the right analog stick separately? Right now if I set the right analog to something it also sets the corresponding AXBY button to the same exact function, I can't separate.

Last edited by a moderator:
DaveC -- actualy, Quake 2 runs equally fast in Raw as X, and it runs faster now than before. I think you read it backwards?

IT looks like X is not hitting things at all on this driver. I mean, losing .1fps is not relevent :)

jeff

If you mean chugging in Q1, it was usually the lighting thign in the driver -- flickery lamps would make it chug like mad, and thats gone. Just the crap driver they'd given us until recently.

Other apps on occasion hiccup, but I think thats an ALSA (sound) glitch being sorted out. There shoudlnt' be much sitting around eating performance (maybe mmcqd but that shouldn't be a problem for games since games aren't reading continuously off SD.)

skeezix said:
DaveC -- actualy, Quake 2 runs equally fast in Raw as X, and it runs faster now than before. I think you read it backwards?

IT looks like X is not hitting things at all on this driver. I mean, losing .1fps is not relevent :)

jeff

If you mean chugging in Q1, it was usually the lighting thign in the driver -- flickery lamps would make it chug like mad, and thats gone. Just the crap driver they'd given us until recently.

Other apps on occasion hiccup, but I think thats an ALSA (sound) glitch being sorted out. There shoudlnt' be much sitting around eating performance (maybe mmcqd but that shouldn't be a problem for games since games aren't reading continuously off SD.)
Some games do read of the SD continuously though like Sega CD, PSX, 3DO if there will be one etc.

I would still like running games without the desktop though just because the Pandora would boot faster amd it would be less need for the stylus.

Nice to see the good performance though.

Im not sure if i trust the numbers too much, for example in q3 X old driver its very bad, and in the new driver its playable. From actually using this new driver vs the old its completely different.

Davec: controls are in flux, im trying to match the kernel but things are changing, give it time to settle.

I'm glad to see development is proceeding on these drivers. Does anyone have a changelog? I want to see if any new extensions have been announced. TI has claimed all kinds of features in their SDKs that I never knew to be available in SGX drivers.

Are these drivers in the newest image by djwillis?

I wonder if ES2 performance has increased, There's much more scope for driver optimisation in OpenGL ES 1.1.

Where do we get ahold of this driver? Perhaps I can get this new one to work where the old one was failing.

Pickle said:
Im not sure if i trust the numbers too much, for example in q3 X old driver its very bad, and in the new driver its playable. From actually using this new driver vs the old its completely different.

Davec: controls are in flux, im trying to match the kernel but things are changing, give it time to settle.
Nice to see the performance getting better.

Yeah I know the controls are early I guess it was mostly a suggestion for the future but you probably already were planning something like that.

I wonder what the capability of this 3D chip will be in the end?

Adventus said:
Are these drivers in the newest image by djwillis?

I wonder if ES2 performance has increased, There's much more scope for driver optimisation in OpenGL ES 1.1.

The last fw build was Feb 24th; these drivers just arrived in the last couple days, so you have to wait to next image build, or try to get the kernel and ipk (I need to track them down too, I think I can find them in back chatlogs somewhere; from notaz :)

I'm tied up till tomorrow night, try PM ED :)

jeff

Vitel said:
Why is Q3 so slow? I thought Pandora "can handle it with ease"...

I wondered that, too.
I just didn't want to be the first non Dev to post in here ;)

Vitel said:
Likely in-game graphics settings are different than the videos we've seen with 30-50fps gameplay in Q3.

Also this is at 500mhz, and not ~800mhz as many of those videos show, and who knows if the SGX is even clocked at it's proper speed or if it's running reduced

kingoddball said:
Vitel said:

I wondered that, too.

Just out of sheer curiosity: What's the framerate of the LCD anyway?
I wonder how those numbers would be affected with an OC'd unit (further testing/benchmarks, we'd need) B)

kingoddball said:
Vitel said:

I wondered that, too.

It's probably the map + time demo + what graphical settings are active.

I know my Pandora plays quake3 fine (see videos) at 500mhz with the default settings.

Vitel said:
The demo isn't the same as actually playing it. It's a benchmark, so it needs to be run with known factors, including graphics settings turned up higher than they need to be, probably.

So it's TI that puts out new drivers? Do they have a roadmap or release schedule for their driver or is it just periodic? Just wondering how many driver updates, and hopefully speed boosts to expect in the Pandora's lifetime.

Yeah Q3 actually plays pretty well, and it's pretty smooth and consistent. I'm no good at guessing but it felt about 30fps with a bunch of bots killing me when I tried it, but no clue. I was happy to see it running :)

also not sure which gles<->gl impact.. Probably an adapter whci would take off some gps? A pure gles rewrite would speed up, but be work :)

jeff

Back