Pandora should leave Angstrom

We talked about the VM in IRC, notaz and me and EvilDragon. A VM could be done, it is possible. notaz only remaining concern is the legal issue of distributing such a VM with the TI binary blobs, and there is a solution to that problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sometimes someone needs to piss on the fire before someone else throws a log at him. Thus, the fire still burns.

Easy guys easy .. I hat eto see multiple well meaing folks at each others throats; neither of you means it, but you're both down this road to pain :)

I think we should stop all of this dev bickering and get back to the esoteric music hijack. It was more interesting.

Did you have a chance to give those a listen?

Actually, I'm pretty intereste din the Mike PAtton collection of bosbeetle or whonmever up there.

I mean really, I have a big problem..

Faith No More and Mr. Bungle were two of my favorite bands of the 90s.. and of all time, and still in regular rotation after so many years; I've given a listen to Tomahawk and Fantomas and a few other random Mike Patton projects (Themes for Voice.. wtf _was that_?! :)

Whats funny is.. it seems to me the very best of Mr. Patton was FNM and Mr. Bungle! His later stuff is all very experimental, with some great bits of glory, but nothing that seems consistently awesome as FNM and Mr.B; but I've not gone through the exhausted list of Mike Patton, since it is of course like Frank Zappa -- freaking huge :)

So I'm quite interested in what Grench and bosbeetle might say -- is there any good post-FNM/Mr.B Mike Patton things that are good? (ie: not just his projects, other peoples projects that he sings on, etc.)

--

Grench.. I PMed you; the later couple itemes were sort of chewese imho (from those youtube lnks), but the first few items were Great Finds, and I'm pursueing now :)

jeff

Have you tried secret chiefs 3 they might be a bit dense but still really consistent and great (it used to be mr bungle minus patton, but now its more a real band lead by trey spruance the guitar player of mr bungle)

Another band/project that is very nice is the book of knots they only have three albums they are all themed and they are a core band but they invite singers (tom waits and mike patton among them) and other artist. They deliver a very adventurous outlook on the concept album.

Another band that is in those regions is cardiacs they are english and a bit more proggy but still very awesome :)

As for mike patton project I can reccomend Mike Patton/Kaada a very orchestral aproach with an edge however it might take a while for the 'edge' to be obvious. Mondo Cane is patton doing italian songs from the 60s with a backing orchestra (very impressive live but it still stands more or less on the album) For Fantômas the directors cut is the album to go, horror movie soundtrack covers. And if you are into something more extreme you could give moonchild/astronome/the crucible/ipsissimus/six lithanies for heliogabalus a whirl, however those should be taken with great care :D

Oh and if you are into some erotic tongue in cheeck, duetting by patton and jenifer charles (elysian fields) Like j'taime mon non plus from gainsbourgh, check out the lovage album

Summerizing try: try secret chiefs 3 - book of horizons, the book of knots and cardiacs. For patton project try: patton/kaada, mondo cane, the directors cut and lovage tell me if you like them and which one and I can point you in a direction :D

-Debian is hung up on Gnome 3 - which is less annoying than Unity - which is it's only saving grace.  Without Unity to be compared to, Gnome 3 would be a disgrace.
FYI Debian is not as tied to a destkop environment as most other distributions are: while gnome 3 is installed by default with the standard i386/amd64 cd images there are official cd images that install other desktop environments (kde, xfce and lxde, afaik), and many other window manager (and a couple of DE) can be installed from the repositories and supported almost as well as the four famous ones.This is on PC archs, on arm there are many debian installations in the world, but somehow I doubt that gnome has a significant presence on those. As an example, the debian armhf image for the efika smartop uses xfce.As much as I hate to admit it, however, this doesn't make debian the best choice for pandora's main OS: while a full debian install would fit confortably in a 4GB SD card, a 512MB NAND is borderline and would require to drop some useful stuff that can be included by using angstrom.

As much as I hate to admit it, however, this doesn't make debian the best choice for pandora's main OS: while a full debian install would fit confortably in a 4GB SD card, a 512MB NAND is borderline and would require to drop some useful stuff that can be included by using angstrom.

Not to mention all those Pandora's with a 256MB NAND.

As much as I hate to admit it, however, this doesn't make debian the best choice for pandora's main OS: while a full debian install would fit confortably in a 4GB SD card, a 512MB NAND is borderline and would require to drop some useful stuff that can be included by using angstrom.

There are none ;)

The first officially sold ones had 512mb already.

Only the ram doubled.

Hmm? I though all production Pandoras have 512MB NAND, but some have 256MB RAM, others 512MB RAM

EDIT: Bah! :ph34r:

^ That would be RAM (that is 256M on the old ones). All pandoras have 512M NAND.

E: :ph34r: 'd ...

NONE of the repositories work correctly with our Angstrom install - we're so far behind that any use of opkg BREAKS the OS.

The main problem here is that between the time when our image had to be ready for the first units and now openembedded and angstrom went through a BIG restructuring that gave most OE users a better system, but meant that upgrading to the latest angstrom isn't as easy as it could have been.As soon as we get an angstrom image based on OE-core (the new stuff) opkg is going to work, repositories are going to work, and even firmware updates could be made to work through opkg (at least as an alternative to the current SD card method)

Claiming that the expense of a $20 SD card is too onerous for someone purchasing a $500 linux handheld with two SD slots is hillarious.

Well, I never bought a 500$ handheld, I bought a 250 EUR one back when people was still able to find a job. :D

Anstrom is a lame duck OS - it isn't being actively developed by enough people to be an ongoing concern.
Not really, Angstrom and openembedded are being developed by quite a number of corporate backed people, and is used behind the scenes in many devices. Angstrom for the pandora does need some help, expecially to support the migration to the new OE infrastructure (and I'm guilty of having offered some help and never managed to actually bring results, sorry :( )

Back