Pandora Wi-Fi On 350kilobytes/s

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just had some hard time attempting to mod my board. That resistor is really small, see for yourself (my index finger and small screwdriver for comparison):
0402r.jpg

not sure if I got it right, at least my pandora still boots..

Attachments

• 0402r.jpg
    0402r.jpg
    203.5 KB · Views: 71
notaz said:
<br>Just had some hard time attempting to mod my board. That resistor is really small, see for yourself (my index finger and small screwdriver for comparison):<br><br><br>not sure if I got it right, at least my pandora still boots..<br>
Mine were mod'd today too, we measured the resistance with a meter and both were at the expected value. And your right those resisters are small, grain of sand.I will be able to test out in a few hours :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Dead1nside said:
Bloody hell, and I had those large ones from DT in my mind. I bet you can't read the colour banding on that!
That's why these have no colour coding (SMD resistors have numbers printed on them) ;)

just keep an eye on them. i lost one of these bastards on a carpet when i was overclocking an old imac recently. that was a nightmare searching for it ...

A tip if you are soldering them with an ordinary iron: Glue them on a needle tip first with a semi-fluid cyanoacrylate glue ;)

Oh god, I would not want to try soldering that. I tried soldering a variable resistor to a small leg of a chip on my 9600GSO...managed to rip the traces off of the board and the leg off of the chip.

That was the last time I used that radio$hack soldering iron, got myself a 20W Weller iron. I'm still terrible though.

Pickle said:
notaz said:
<br>Just had some hard time attempting to mod my board. That resistor is really small, see for yourself (my index finger and small screwdriver for comparison):<br><br><br>not sure if I got it right, at least my pandora still boots..<br>
Mine were mod'd today too, we measured the resistance with a meter and both were at the expected value. And your right those resisters are small, grain of sand.I will be able to test out in a few hours :)
Wow. Such a tiny little bastard can cause such a mess? I'm sure, notaz don't let him live and want revenge for all these stressful weeks of WiFi bug hunting. :D

emil10001 said:
benji_stein said:
So what's the latest status on speeds? The last numbers I saw was the 606KB/s, which is nicely fast, but that was in the wireless-only image. The everything image, I heard a 66KB/s speed, but that was paired with the 350KB/S in the stripped image.

While the extra raw speed in the reduced image is nice, I can say that I probably won't ever be using that myself, so I'm more concerned about the 1/5 speed (has that improved, yet?) that happens in the full system. Do we have any explanation for these vast differences? People have mentioned that it migtht be peak vs. stable, but I doubt that it has to do with MWeston's outside internet speeds. Is this one likely to be a software issue, or is it possible that it's still some hardware problem that's affecting the speed under different circumstances?

I'm OK with the 600 KB/s, though more is always better. But I personally feel that 60 KB/s would be a bit of a letdown, unless it can be fixed later in software. I'd still be satisfied with my Pandora (sooner, rather than later) at those rates, but I would greatly prefer otherwise.

I wouldn't read too much into these numbers. MWeston is trying this against websites on the internet. These values likely do not represent the max speeds that the wifi chip can handle. That's why people are asking for LAN testing to be done.

Sure, using the internet is fine. But I then want to know why there's such a difference in value. But hopefully MWeston's using the same file/place to download from to test speeds. If it was 90% of the size (350 vs 300) in the two images, I'd be willing to attribute that to fluctuations in rates.

But 20% is a big difference, and I still haven't seen any explanation of that. If he's doing the same test, even if it's over a slow internet, shouldn't they both be the same rate (even if slow by some standards)?

B-ZaR said:
Something like netcat should suffice. Very easy to use and minimum overhead. Also it's included in many linux flavors (man nc).

Has anyone suggested iperf?

@notaz

Wow! That resistor is tiny! You have to have major skills to solder that on in the right place! I'd probably accidently cover the whole thing in solder :lol:

Current speed Michael gets while downloading off the net:
200 - 300 KB/s on NORMAL image!
Not the minimal WiFi image :)

That's 2.4MBps :)

Fantastic! :D I'm just going to go and add that to the blog-quotes thread, if you don't mind. :)

Posting from a Pandora over wifi as well. It's pretty quick to browse websites now. Firefox itself is a bit chuggy with the scrolling but ED has told me about a dozen others in the Angstrom repo to try.

I hit 315KB/s downloading a pnd from ED's site a few minutes ago. It was still climbing when the file finished (was only 5MB). I should try to make a video of this later.

P.S. Yes, transferring a file from my PC would be smarter but I have to figure out how to do that still. I normally turn anything like that off for security reasons. I don't think I've done file sharing since the headache-y days of Win98!

MWeston said:
Posting from a Pandora over wifi as well. It's pretty quick to browse websites now. Firefox itself is a bit chuggy with the scrolling but ED has told me about a dozen others in the Angstrom repo to try.

I hit 315KB/s downloading a pnd from ED's site a few minutes ago. It was still climbing when the file finished (was only 5MB). I should try to make a video of this later.

P.S. Yes, transferring a file from my PC would be smarter but I have to figure out how to do that still. I normally turn anything like that off for security reasons. I don't I've done file sharing since the headache-y days of Win98!

Have you considered trying to do it the other way? Start an ssh server on the Pandora (possibly running already?) and then connect from your PC. scp (winscp if you have Windows) a file both ways. I do understand that the Pandora receiving is the bottleneck right now, so make sure to *send* a file from the computer. No extra local setup necessary.

You could transfer from the PC to the Pandora. Assuming it has SSH, start it, download psftp (unless you have some sort of unix, in which case you can just use sftp) and transfer some files.

Edit: benji_stein beat me

EvilDragon said:
Current speed Michael gets while downloading off the net:
200 - 300 KB/s on NORMAL image!
Not the minimal WiFi image :)

That's 2.4MBps :)

thats more than enough for my neighborhood, ahh, those old days that we only had 802.11 a

im more worried about range (tx/rx) performance, i do really hate chips so low TX power that even sitting under the router still have some issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back