Pandora Wi-Fi On 350kilobytes/s

Status
Not open for further replies.
If i am right and it is just over a Quarter meg connection ,then i am shocked to see some
on here actuly not happy with that as a connection/transfer speed ,it can only get better
over the next say 6 months with updates so what's the problem ? and some even still want their
dongle ? i say ship all Pandoras at that speed and be done with it ,i doubt the Pandora could
even benefit from higher speeds for opening a web page ,it would only show up on downloading a
large file.What is the upload speed as that is pretty important for online gaming if it ever happens.

Restless said:
Just To clarify is this Kilo "Btye's" or kilo "Bits"?

RenegadeChic said:
for browsing, 350KB/s is marvellous! i am more than happy with that

as far as streaming around the house goes... well the pandora is only really gonna be receiving for me at most. any video watching i do with it will probably be taking it to someone elses house and using the TV-Out or something

KB.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd be happy with 350 KB/s. But it's the minimum imho. Websites are stuffing so much crap in their pages these days that you need a little bit of bandwidth. Having 800 KB/s myself and 120 KB/s at my parents house, I can tell you it's a pretty obvious difference in experience.

Ok ,i still don't get it ,mabe i am a dumb fuck but what are we talking about here ?
kilobits or Kilobites ? are we on about roughly 6 and a half times the speed of 56k dialup
modem speed ?

Craig ,your answer doesn't say anything ,are we talking 6x faster than dialup or low broadband speeds ?

Mutilator said:
great news, what was the cause of the slow speeds in the end?

Michael might post a more accurate explanation, but in simple terms it was a lack of power.

craigix said:
What would people take as a minimum speed?

350KB/s is more than enough for surfing, messenging, online gaming, normal streaming, even downloading normal things.

Just for torrents and heavy video streaming i could imagine wanting to hit the maximum.

My ipod touch renders webpages much slower than you'd expect 350KB/s to be, so, in other words, nobody should really complain about this great speed - especially when notaz, djwillis etc. are STILL working to optimize it.

Go for it! No stick needed IMO! This is the breakthrough!

If there are no dropped packets, then 350 KB/s is a more than decent speed for browsing the web, instant messaging and audio (and even video!) streaming.

Think decent quality MP3 start at 192 kbps (24 KB/s) and decent quality video at 800x480@30fps can be achieved at 1920 kbps (240 KB/s), 2112 kbps with 192 kbps MP3 sound (264 KB/s).

CoMiKe said:
If there are no dropped packets, then 350 Kilobytes/s is a more than decent speed for browsing the web, instant messaging and audio (and even video!) streaming.

Think decent quality MP3 start at 192 kbps (24 KB/s) and decent quality video at 800x480@30fps can be achieved at 1920 kbps (240 Kb/s).

350KB/s sounds fantastic to me!

That's great news to be honest.

This is truly great news for OpenPandora ,well done notas and DjWillis ,and of course Ed Craig
and everyone else ,350KB is a great speed for all uses of the internet ,i think you could ship
it with that speed as default and no one would complain ,if that was the top speed full stop
i would still be very happy ,it's a hand held device remember.

so we don't need the wifisticks ?

craig please take the money and a baseballbat and fly to china :)

If this is the new speed than it is good indeed.
Just wait and see if we hear it from a reliable source backed with test for stability.
If it end up to be good indeed than the only big issue will be TV out and assemble.
Last time i read something about that is that the TV out did only work by s-video.
Lets see when the real assembly will start i expect some delays in missing/broken part and sending.

craigix said:
What would people take as a minimum speed?

350KB/s is fine by me - bet this is all a huge relief to you guys :)

350KB is perfectly acceptable for surfing. It's fine for the first firmware revision, imho. Green lights all the way. Eventually full speed would be nice, but for now, please do the deeds that should be done.

350KB/s, as in 350kilobyte/s, as in ~3megabit/s?
Sounds fine to me. That's fast enough for pretty much everything, except for high-quality high-def video-streaming.

BTW: what's the theoretical maximum possible for the Pandora to achieve?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back